Author Topic: Game processing knife  (Read 7167 times)

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Senior Survivalist
Re: Game processing knife
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2012, 09:54:25 PM »
Disagree. Excluding being handy to carry as an EDC, I would rather have a fixed blade for virtually any use.

Honestly, go to Sam's Club - they have a 2 pack of Bakers & Chefs boning knives for about $8. These would be perfectly acceptable for field dressing or butchering. You would have to come up with your own sheath. (Cardboard and duct tape) These are very similar to knives you will find in most commercial restaurant kitchens. Good size handle.

I'm also an Old Hickory fan.

Well, a different topic might get different results but we are talking about a squirrel from the OP. I have a 4 1/2 pocket knife and would hate to clean a squirrel with anything larger. Why would anyone want to even debone one? A fixed blade to clean something larger I agree with, but even that can be done with a good pocket knife. I've got plenty of fixed blades and just don't use them much is my problem. And I camp out all the time with just a tarp.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 10:04:37 PM »
Texguy,
   I am not picking on you and agree in concept with most of what you say.
But I have to disagree with the pocket knife being the best all round knife. Yes for a squirrle, a buck 110 folding hunter (just off the top of my head, not exclusively recommending that) is a great choice.
   And you are right a 8" breaking knife would be asinine to process a squirle with.
 But I think someone mentioned a bird and trout knife above, that would work great for a squirrle.
A fixed blade may not be the "end all" in knives, but its hard to beat I mean you could do a squirrle with a shorty ka-bar just fine. I've used a huge heavy cleaver to totally break a chicken down from a whole bird to boneless and skinless parts. Its not the knife I would use to process a 60lb box of chickens, its too heavy, too wide and clumsy, its too much knife for the job. I can do it though and have. In front of an audience. (Group or customers watching)
 Honestly, for everything from squirrle to deer or similar sized game, a 5 or 6 in narrow, flexible angled boning knife is about perfect. Victorinox makes a good one for a price you would be hard pressed to find a folding knife that would do the job as well at the same quality. I'm not saying you can't do these things with a folder, but I am saying that its not as good. The boning knife would out perform just about any folder on a squirrle hands down. Its narrow, sharp and flexible. If you just do a squirrle or three every now and then, a folder is fine but if you do em all the time, this a a better option. And it scales up much better than a folder to larger game or harder to process game.  The OP mentioned wanting to do deer and such at sometime so I think my and some of the other responses were geared toward that use as well. Again, not saying that a folder is a bad choice at all, especially for squirrle, its just not the best knife around. Again not picking on you, just offering a different opinion. I love folders, love love love folders. But if I could get away legally and socially carring a fixed blade of the same size, I might not ever have a folder on me again. Wait strike that, folders are just too cool to not have. Heck, I'd probably carry both!
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2012, 10:17:07 PM »
For a squirrel, the pocket knife is the way to go. I can't believe some would use 6"+ blades to clean one.

Well, a different topic might get different results but we are talking about a squirrel from the OP. I have a 4 1/2 pocket knife and would hate to clean a squirrel with anything larger. Why would anyone want to even debone one? A fixed blade to clean something larger I agree with, but even that can be done with a good pocket knife. I've got plenty of fixed blades and just don't use them much is my problem. And I camp out all the time with just a tarp.

Actually I think the OP mentioned that he wanted a single knife that could be used for everything, and mentioned later that he wanted it for field work on deer.

I don't know why anyone would want or need to settle on a single knife myself.  A knife is like any other tool, you choose the right one for the job.  I certainly own a folding knife and as stated, use it as my primary, but even folding pocket knives come in many shapes and sizes and choosing just one would limit its uses.  I wouldn't want to use a 4-1/2" pocket knife on a squirrel and I wouldn't want to use a 2-1/2" pocket knife on larger game, thank god I don't have to.  The same applies to a fixed blade knife.

I've never understood the minimalist, especially when we're talking about something so cheap to acquire and insignificant to pack.  Besides, 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2012, 10:35:01 PM »
Oh btw, why aren't blademan and nelson96 moderators here yet (hey Jack are you listening)? They are great posters on this forum.

I agree with blademan that a folder isn't the best for big game. I also agree with nelson that one knife isn't the way to go. Maybe I'm just going off tonight (I am drinking [and loving it]), there is so much on this forum I hate with a passion but I'd be banned if I used my passion in my posts. If that makes any sense.

I know "one size" doesn't fit all here. I'm just stating my size. To each his own I guess.

Personally, to me, with my folders (and I have plenty) and a machette my fixed blades (which I have plenty of too) do not get used that much. And I'm trying to press them into action. Just makes me wonder how others do things I guess. I spend at least a night every month outside of my house and don't use them that much. It just seems to me to much is put on fixed blades.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »
Nelson,
   High five! I agree about not understanding the minimalist thing. Its a little snobby even sometimes. It just seems like a good way not to have what you need when you need it to me.
    Yes, a variety of knives is a real good plan. The five piece set from old hickory I mentioned above would cover many needs. The cool thing about it is that you could have a leather sheath made to hold all the knives in a pretty small foot print or go get a butchers chain and scabbard that holds multiple knives and you have a meat processing tool belt right there. Just wash them and keep them oiled so they don't rust. It has two paring knives you could tear a squirrle up with. A good pair of knit cut resistant gloves is a good idea too, wear a pair of latex or nitrile gloves over and under them, this allows you to grip from the back of the blade to choke up on a longer blade to do  detail work while reducing the chance of getting cut if your hand slips. Chain mail gloves work too but they are awkward and not great in cold weather and have some other ergonomic issues and are expensive. Knit butchers gloves are really cheap. Hope he finds something that works for him.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
I'm not a minimalist or snobby, but I do want to be able to survive in the worse case ... which does indeed mean being able to survive on the minimal amount of "prepper" gear. If living is the woods was the best answer I'd be living there now wouldn't I?

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2012, 10:55:41 PM »
Tex,
   Enjoy your drinks! Thanks I think for kicking my name up stairs! I'm not looking for a moderator position at this time. And yes, when I'm not without my folder because I have lost it, left it at home or someone has stolen it,  I use it more than any fixed blade except when I was butchering.
I have a whole mercer giant ass culinary cutlery set that I found for less than a 5th of what it costs retail and it was brand new. I was super happy with it and threw a couple knives in and pulled a few things out to meet what I needed vs what I wanted to carry all the time. It came in a fold up "box" style hard side bag. I probably wouldn't put it in my pack and use it to process babmbi's dad, but if I drug him home, the mercer set would come out and get to work. But if I knocked down a beaver, or a deer with a rock, (now whose drinking? Meeeeeee!) And needed to pull some meat off it to stay alive, I could absolutely do it with Cedar's opinel or even some candy plastic 2" chicom gun show cheap table california friendly keychain flashlight knife! So don't think I am knocking your folders at all, if that's what you have or choose to use, awesome. I am all for using what you have when you need it. What are you sipping on Tex?
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »
Tex,
  PM sent to clear up my comment to you sir, no offense intended.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #68 on: November 29, 2012, 11:08:51 PM »
Not a problem. I know no one certain way is the best for everyone.

I will admit you got under my skin though, which isn't good at all, that will only get me banned. (I don't know how to hold my peace which is why it is best for me to avoid people during shtf).

+1 for the PM before I made a fool of myself.  ;D

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2012, 11:36:00 PM »
Yeah tex, its cool. I wasn't upset, I just didn't want someone else upset when they didn't habve to be. I know I didn't and I don't think nelson meant the minimalist comment at you at all. I think it was more for the "want one knife on my belt that does it all" idea, which wasn't yours. And sometimes minimalist or ultralight people I have met tend to be a little snobby about how cool it is to be minimalist. Yeah it gets real cool when a cold front comes in and the temp drops to the 20's and you have a windbreaker, a tube tent, a sierra stove and your clothes. Real cool. Terminally cool. That was what I was talking about. Not all of them, or even most of them. Just some. Again man, what you sipping on? I like an adult beverage from time to time myself.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2012, 11:41:23 PM »
why aren't blademan and nelson96 moderators here yet

Thanks, but no thanks.

Just makes me wonder how others do things I guess.

I'm a hunter first and a survivalist second, until the day comes when I have to switch.  Even so, the following are typically in or on my pack (may leave out one or two depending on the predicted need) and have always served me well for both purposes.

Folding Schrade (Old Timer) Single Blade - I think its got a 4" blade with a nice point on it.  My very first hunting knife and have used it for 35 years

Custom made skinner

Gerber Exchange-A-Blade Saw - Is great for sawing bone and limbs/logs

Havalon Piranta (with a selection of two sizes of blades) - Great for delicate work

Buck Hoodlum (By Hood)

The minimalist comment was not meant toward ANYONE AT ALL, nor was it meant to be a slam (they have their reasons and I simply don't get it) and IMO applies to many subjects, not just knives.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:01 PM »
OH, well those ultralight people are snobby!!!

Just kidding  ;D

I don't care for the ultralight stuff but most those people climb mountians and stuff and have to deal with things I hope I never see.

Nelson isn't a problem, I know he would go that way (minimalist) if times demanded it but like me he knows it isn't the best way to live forever on. Nelson is like me sorta from what I can tell, he just wants to avoid problems with others whatever the costs and protect his family. He might prefer a fixed blade for that .... I'll have one for sure, it just might not get much use out of me. Give me a few more minutes before I'm allowed to double your karma tonight! :excited:

I haven't read his post above yet though ....

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #72 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:23 PM »
Gerber Exchange-A-Blade Saw - Is great for sawing bone and limbs/logs

I think this is what I have. A wood saw with a bone blade that you can push the "button" on the hinge to change out the blames? A Camo pouch it goes in? With Velco? I've never used the bone saw but I can say I've worn the wood saw out fast. Which sucks because this tool wasn't cheap. I have a lot of cheap wood saws somewhere, I don't know why I lose them (maybe the cheap ones don't last long?) but I wanted to save the Gerber for SHTF .... but it's worn out now (the wood blade). I do think it can be sharpened with some files though, and I have lots of those, just never tired to sharpened it yet.

ETA: The best wood saw I have bought was from Dollar General for $4. I bought two of them. One is lost right now but the other one is in a cache. It had a sharp edge at the end and everyone (I'm not very secret) had no clue about what for but it's for scraping bark off limbs/logs (that is what made me show it to people). It was a few years ago I bought them and haven't seen them since or I would buy ten of them. Sometimes cheap is just better. It was much better than the Gerber but of course the Gerber has the bone blade. I notice the cheap saw at Walmart today was over $16 now, which I thought was strange.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 12:02:42 AM by TexGuy »

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #73 on: November 30, 2012, 12:00:52 AM »
When you start talking about cutting the handle of your toothbrush in half to save a gram... you might be an ultralight weenie.

On the flip side, I have been backpacking with a guy who carries a 75+# pack ((kitchen sink) - and he is miserable every time. But has 4 knives, mile of rope, etc etc etc.

Everything is a compromise.

My only real issue with folders is they are harder to clean and weaker. ( I own lots of knives of all varieties)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #74 on: November 30, 2012, 12:20:38 AM »
Nelson isn't a problem, I know he would go that way (minimalist) if times demanded it

You bet I would.  I have the mindset that you can always cache what becomes too hard to pack or not needed.  And yes, it sounds like we have the same saw, but I've never worn out either blade and have gotten a butt wad of use out of it.  I don't even remember how long ago it was that I bought it.

My only real issue with folders is they are harder to clean and weaker.

I haven't experienced this with mine, but the only three folders I have are my EDC (a Kershaw I did not list), my 35 year old Schrade (they don't make them anymore like they did then) and my Havalon (which gets minimal use and only on delicate stuff).  Cleaning is easy if you don't wait too long.  I just soak it in hot tap water mixed with bleach or vinegar and run a rag into the handle. 

I agree that there are other fixed blade knives that can replace my Schrade, but it was my first real hunting knife and has been my go-to on so many animals for so many years that I will never replace it.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline TexGuy

• Senior Survivalist
Wood Saw, Change of Topic? LOL
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »
Quote from: nelson96
I've never worn out either blade and have gotten a butt wad of use out of it.

Do you think it can be sharpened? I'm looking at mine right now and don't think I have a file small enough. I have small files, but this blade had been awesome over the years, and it's got small teeth.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: Wood Saw, Change of Topic? LOL
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »
Do you think it can be sharpened? I'm looking at mine right now and don't think I have a file small enough. I have small files, but this blade had been awesome over the years, and it's got small teeth.

I don't know.  I Personally wouldn't mess with it, I'd just buy a replacement.  I sharpen larger saws that I pack when on horse back, but I wouldn't mess with sharpening this one.  Ebay has a lot of replacement blades listed.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=gerber+replacement+blades
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 12:38:14 AM »
If you have a sharpmaker, you could try using the point of a triangle to sharpen it. Spyderco makes some pretty small and useful ceramic files but they are a bit pricey. Harbor freight preobably has a set of files you could use for not a big chunk of change. I think gerber sells a replacement for it though. You must saw a lot. Its probably a big pain to sharpen those little teeth.
Fear is the mind killer.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2012, 02:50:43 AM »
Another vote for the Mora. I dressed two deer with one this year, no sharpening between. I also partially skinned and quartered one of the deer with the same knife. It also worked well on squirrel.