Author Topic: AR magazine pouchs  (Read 653 times)

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
AR magazine pouchs
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:26:56 AM »
So I got my 1st AR-15. I got a few magazines, but I only have so many pockets in my pants.

Where is everyone putting their magazines? I see all types of kydex belt holsters, Chest rigs, belt set ups, it is all a bit overwhelming when you look at the price points on some of these.

I see the benifits of each of these styles, but I really don't want to buy one of each of these to find out which i like the most.

Help please....

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: AR magazine pouchs
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 12:02:24 PM »
I have several ways. 

I can't seem to find any pics, right now, but we generally use a nylon, over-the-shoulder, bandolier that holds 6 AR mags.  It has velcro'd flaps that hold the mags in place and is two-sided (three mags on a side).  We get them at a gear dealer at our local gunshows.  We have one for each rifle that allows us to grab the rifle, throw the bandolier over the shoulder and we can get out quickly.

We also have what we call Hostile Environment Resource Kits which are made of a nylon shoulder bag which also holds 6 AR mags, 2 pistol mags, and a whole bunch of stuff inside.   You can see a pic of it here, on the first page of this thread:

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=31832.0

Hope it helps.

The Professor
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:22:21 PM by The Professor »
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline fingerstylefunk

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 09:12:27 PM »
My tactical purse, as my wife calls it, is a 5.11 Tactical Bail Out Bag. You can google for pics. I've had it for 2 years, done range games with it, it's held up. I carry it every day in the car as my inconspicuous first line setup as well. I keep typical BOB gear in it and it doesn't look too tacticool in plain black. They're about 65 dollars, but the material and quality is there. Doing mag changes from it is easy, and I think for an all in one solution, it works fine as a gp range bag/mag pouch. You can fit 6 AR mags or 3 AK style mags in the front pouches and pistol mags in the side pouches. It's got a little bit of molle on it for add on, but I wouldn't use it.

Secondarily, I've got a tactical tailor suspender / duty belt setup with hsgi taco pouches, a tactical tailor roll up dump pouch, and some kydex gear I put together thanks to knifekits.com; Here's a link to my gear photo on another forum, http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/gallery/image/6951-p6220026/. It's from the saiga 12 forums. That's a pic of my 308 saiga I converted, great rifle, just hard to get any replacement parts for. I recently switched back to the m4, and have gone to h&k's for my primary sidearm.

What I like about the duty belt based rig is it's easy to dump off, it doesn't get in the way of a pack, and those double stack universal pouches will hold almost any type of magazine as long as they are tall enough. Also, going prone with a LBE/chest rig/vest sucks. I haven't had to crawl in mud with one on since I was a Jarhead, but I remember digging nice furrows in the muck with my chest pouches before. That belt rig is pretty low profile. With a decent jacket, it's not too visible to boot.

Next for me is some form of tactical vest or chest rig, I'm still shopping. I'm thinking one of the VTAC 5.11 molle vests. I'm going to get something decent in molle format, and put highspeedgearinc, hsgi, pouches on it. They're the best I've ever used, but there are alot of good products out there. Just read the reviews. 40 dollars is alot for a tactical pouch, but one you can repair yourself with minimal supplies is reasonable for me.

To summarize. Start small, identify needs. You can't buy your way out of a problem, but if you buy crap, it will fail you when you need it most.

Make a joyful noise to the LORD, all the earth; break forth into joyous song and sing praises! --Psalm 98:4
Beat your plowshares into swords, and your pruning hooks into spears; let the weak say, "I am a warrior." Joel 3:10

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »
You could go a number of ways and may end up wanting more than 1 set up.  I personally prefer different methods for different scenarios.  The bandoleer option is attractive to start out with.   I have a Patrol Bandoleer by Eagle Industries that holds 4 ar mags and 2 pistol mags.  It is well made and easy to sling over the shoulder with a tab to attach to a belt if you want.  I started out with this but later added  a bail out bag set up because you could carry more bug out gear.  I eventually added a battle belt set up as well.  The important thing is learning to fight out of whatever set up you have. 

TNV
"Twice as much isn't twice as good and can't sustain like one half could"

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 07:08:56 PM »
I like this way, simple, yet easy to get to. and it doesn't hang ALL the way down my thigh in some tac-ninja sort of way. fgure it gives me 90 rds of 223 and 45 rds of .40 cal. i should get the job done...right?

Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
For gods sakes stay away from Condor, granted some of their products are ok and I have got some good use out of them. Then again I have had some of their products totally fail on me, IE bad stitching, getting one hole in the pouch and having it rip wide open.
"Since it is likely that [children] will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."- C. S. Lewis

"I want to be best remembered for my deeds and actions" -ME

"Will yourself to stand ready and courageous on the battlefield. In this way, all that is difficult or dangerous will be yours."
- The Way of the Samurai

Offline Blu

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
yes i have heard about condor. 

leaning towards HSGI belt with 2 or 3 mag holsters to start with.  But also like the simple chest rigs with 3 mag pouches.  decisions, decisions

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:40:50 PM »
My battle belt is the HSGI sure grip.  It is an outstanding product.  I like their taco pouches as well due mostly to their adjustability

To my earlier post on having a variety of set ups, the battle belt concept is great for when being on foot.  It does not work as well if  you are mostly riding around in vehicles if you have gear on the back.  Chest rigs seem to work better for that.

TNV
"Twice as much isn't twice as good and can't sustain like one half could"