Author Topic: Searching for the best Get Home Bag  (Read 1981 times)

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
Searching for the best Get Home Bag
« on: November 09, 2012, 11:31:19 AM »
I'm looking for a really good GHB, and am hoping for recommendations.

I want a tactical style pack (with PALS webbing), about 2000 - 2500 cu in (32-45 liters), lots of pockets for organizing, that will hold up to daily use carrying up to 70 pounds. I realize quality costs, and I'm willing to spend the money needed.

I've looked at and/or used several brands, specifically Maxpedition, BCB, Blackhawk, Rothco, Voodoo, and 5.11

I'm leaning toward the 5.11 Rush 72 Tactical Pack. But it's so hard to pick a pack from pictures on the internet and a few reviews.

Anyone have good hands on experience with a bag (as mentioned above), that they really like and has held up?
...no dangers at hand that I can see.' 'True,' replied the boar, 'but the instant my life is in danger, I shall need to use my tusks. There will be no time to sharpen them then.'  -Aesop

Check out my blog: TraceMyPreps

Offline kyfirefighter

• Prepper
Re: Searching for the best Get Home Bag
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 03:21:50 PM »
Both my wife and I have the 5.11 Responder 72 packs for our standard "go" bags.  i have found them to be very comfortable when wearing them for long days of hiking and moving around.  the storage space is pretty good for a pack that size and the ability to use the MOLLE/ PALS pouches makes it nice to be able to customize and expand.  i tend to be pretty rough on gear in general and this pack has held up to everything that i have thrown at it.   i have also used some of the maxpedition gear and their stuff is well made also.  my opinion is "buy once cry once".  so get a bag that you are comfortable with and make sure it is well made and not going to fall apart on you when you need it most. 
just my 2 cents

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
Mine's rush 72 as well.  All good reports so far.  Organizes well, carries comfortably, low profile, etc.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
  • confrontational by design
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
lol... i always get sheepish seeing posts like this because mine is just an old backpack from my school days.

Offline JohnDoel

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »
All I can say about the 511 bag is that it is a really good backpack its the one most people have bought at my regiment and someone who went overseas to Afghanistan as infantry told me if I was going to buy a backpack that the 511 bag is what I should get so infantry seal of approval doesn't get much better imo.
If gun tape, foot powder or water can't fix it nothing can.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:14:23 PM »
What on earth are you putting in a 32 liter pack to make it weigh 75 pounds?  Lead ingots?  Depleted uranium?

My last three day hike along the Colorado Trail used my 34 liter pack and weighed in at 23 pounds including food and water.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 04:02:35 PM »
Thank you guys for the 5.11 feedback, sounds like that's the direction I'll likely go.

To answer 'endurance's question: steel plates. Background: My car BOB, once fully loaded, came in at 70 pounds. Though it is modular and can be easily distributed among three people, I had to ask myself if I needed to could I carry it? It was heavy; doing some walking around testing it out, I realized I had a choice to make: lower the weight in the BOB or get use to carrying that much weight.

So I got one of my old packs, loaded it up with my GHB gear and it weighed about 35 pounds. I then slowly worked my way up adding weight in 10 pound increments until I got to my goal of 70 pounds. I now go out three times a week, walking for an hour, taking the dog on a walk through the woods.

...no dangers at hand that I can see.' 'True,' replied the boar, 'but the instant my life is in danger, I shall need to use my tusks. There will be no time to sharpen them then.'  -Aesop

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
Thank you guys for the 5.11 feedback, sounds like that's the direction I'll likely go.

To answer 'endurance's question: steel plates. Background: My car BOB, once fully loaded, came in at 70 pounds. Though it is modular and can be easily distributed among three people, I had to ask myself if I needed to could I carry it? It was heavy; doing some walking around testing it out, I realized I had a choice to make: lower the weight in the BOB or get use to carrying that much weight.

So I got one of my old packs, loaded it up with my GHB gear and it weighed about 35 pounds. I then slowly worked my way up adding weight in 10 pound increments until I got to my goal of 70 pounds. I now go out three times a week, walking for an hour, taking the dog on a walk through the woods.

Just a little constructive criticism . . . .  Whatever it is in your pack that makes it weigh up to 70 pounds is just not necessary.  I would suggest going on your hikes that you do (maybe even extend them into an overnight hike from time to time) and test your equipment.  I think you'll find that you have unnecessary stuff including stuff that can act in multi-use ways (eliminating something else).  Do some research on specific need items and try to replace them with a like use item, but weighing less.  Then go out and make yourself a pro at using them.  This will both lighten your pack and help you become more self sufficient at getting by with less.  It's fun too.

I would also suggest trying this exercise in differnet weather conditions and keeping stuff on standby that you find are required under different conditions. . . .  Keeping in mind that you may be trying to get home under extreme conditions (health, weather, etc) and 70 pounds can create some negative issues.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 12:14:48 AM »
I appreciate the thoughts - but that wasn't the question or the concern. I asked for advice about trying to find a quality GHB that can hold up to 70 pounds. I choose to carry 70 pounds in it when I go for my walks -- it's part of my workout program. But I also want to be prepared if I need to carry additional weight, including our car BOB for a distance, if necessary.

We all set up our kits differently for our own purposes. Our car BOBs are designed for my family of up to 6, built modularly so they can be divided as necessary. I only have my kids a couple days a week, so I've packed in a way that there can be enough for everyone if needed, or things can be left behind if there's less. I've included what I believe is necessary/nice to have. I don't plan on carrying the entire 70 pounds very far.

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 08:39:46 AM »
I'd love to see whats in this pack

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 08:20:37 PM »
I'd love to see whats in this pack

Not much different than you would expect. Same tools, same FAK, same fire-starting kit, more food (goal of two days food for six people), more extra clothes. It's less of a BOB and more of a car bug-out kit. While it's built in a way that we can grab it and take it with us if we have to leave the vehicle, it's more likely to be used while still with the car.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »
Sounds very well thought out.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
I'd hate to be your knees when you're 50.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline livinitup0

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »

I kind of felt the same way originally, but with this being a pack that can easily be broken down into multiple packs I think it makes a lot of sense. Still seems a bit on the heavy side but I really like the idea of being able to combine or seperate the packs if needed.

Can we see a pic?

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »
Can we see a pic?

Left bag: extra clothes, poncho/poncho liner - weighs about 10 pounds (shoulder strap is included in each side bag's outside pocket)
Right bag: FAK, tools, fire starting kit, cook set - weighs about 15 pounds
Center bag: remainder of BOB stuff, including food - weighs about 35 pounds
not shown: gallon of water in two 2-quart military canteens (with shoulder straps) - weighs 8 pounds
(as shown bags are attached on the sides, could be attached top and bottom if needed)

The entire kit could be carried all together a relatively short distance and then repacked as needed. Or divided among 2 or 3 people. Again, predominately a car BOB but packaged in such a way it can be transported if necessary. (Both of our primary vehicles have basically identical kits.)

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »

So far they're fine, ask me in five more years when I hit 50.

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 05:13:07 PM »

The entire kit could be carried all together a relatively short distance and then repacked as needed. Or divided among 2 or 3 people. Again, predominately a car BOB but packaged in such a way it can be transported if necessary. (Both of our primary vehicles have basically identical kits.)

I get it now, and I LIKE IT . . . .  Obviously you wouldn't choose to pack it all together if you could avoid it (or leave stuff behind if it was deemed unnecessary), but what a great way to pack lots of stuff and have it readily available.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline RTFM

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Great blog Trace - I got nothing on the bag issue.... except you get to carry what you want to carry.

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 09:51:49 AM »
Great blog Trace - I got nothing on the bag issue.... except you get to carry what you want to carry.

Thanks! I did order the 5.11 Rush 72 bag last week. When it gets here, and I've had time to thoroughly test it out, I'll review it on my blog.