Author Topic: Anyone using a sig 556 R?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Anyone using a sig 556 R?
« on: November 09, 2012, 12:42:35 PM »
Just curious about this rifle. Anybody shoot one/use one? thanks

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
Re: Anyone using a sig 556 R?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 03:42:13 PM »
Not yet, but will hopefully be placing an order for the SWAT version here shortly.  I have heard good things about the new versions.

TNV
"Twice as much isn't twice as good and can't sustain like one half could"

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 06:08:09 PM »
Keep me posted. I'm ordering the regular version.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »
I have a 556 ER if that helps.  Bought a couple years ago and have just done maybe 10 range trips with it.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
Do you like it?!

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 05:06:32 AM »
I've worked on too many SIG's to ever want to spend my own money on them.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »
Do you like it?!

Yes, I wanted a reliable piston 5.56 and it is that.  I put an expensive Aimpoint on it before I realized I need some magnification, but I have to blame that on old age instead of Sig.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 01:32:44 PM »
Cool!

flippydidit- I'm ordering a new version. I've read about problems with the old ones. I'll keep ya posted on if it runs well!

Offline flyfisher66048

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2012, 07:42:36 PM »
The folks over at warrior talk sure like them. 

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2012, 10:03:44 PM »
Spending $1,000+ on a rifle that shoots 7.62x39mm has never been a choice I would make.  You're welcome to buy whatever you like.  Just be cognizant that Mr. Gabe Suarez has a vested interest in selling/reviewing AK platform weapons.  Take that for what it's worth.  I'm not saying it is a bad rifle.  I've never used one.  I do know there are great guns that fire the 7.62x39 for half the price, though.  Personally, if I'm spending $1,000+ on a rifle, it's going to have an effective range much further than 400 meters.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2012, 10:07:59 PM »
Yep! for me it's mostly because I live in michigan! I've thought about another ptr/fal/or something but want to try this one right now.

Basically here it goes, doing cost analysis on current up to date pricing

675 converted century saiga
add the tws rail at 140
add the rear iron sight leaf at 40
threading of the muzzle for a suppressor 150
Ak 100 series folding stock- 200
flash suppressor

added up: I'm at 1200....

downsides: putting on that folding stock would make it an unregistered pistol in MI. I would have to drive to indiana, put the folding stock on, ship it to my ffl, and then "buy" the gun with a transfer fee and have them have it registered as a pistol. The saiga "rings" my brass.

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 09:17:59 AM »
Personally, if I'm spending $1,000+ on a rifle, it's going to have an effective range much further than 400 meters.

I've seen 7.62 x 39 reach to 850 yards, flippydidit, and I bet if it had been somebody out there it would have left a mark. I saw 5.56 x 45 reach to 650 yards as well. People put 1000.00-plus dollars into ARs all the time, but I suppose you won't because it won't be effective past 400 meters either. Did the designated marksmen making some of those 600-plus-meter shots in Iraq know they couldn't do that? No, neither platform is optimized for it, but they work, and you usually do get what you pay for. I wouldn't expect any low-priced AK or AR to do very well beyond even 2 or 3 hundred meters, actually. The rifle doesn't shoot itself, though, and I would expect that most of the less-than-stellar performance at range isn't the fault of the rifle anyway.

The 556R, I only know what I've read. Sig has fixed the issues in the original production copy and it's more accurate out of the box than some custom-built AKs. Too many people I trust saying that.

Gabe Suarez indeed has a business interest. You're saying that nobody else has a similar interest, say, people on the AR forums, in promoting their chosen platforms? Surely not. And why, if the business interest is all there is, is he being accused by a fairly large group of 'abandoning' the AK platform? And why did he discontinue his companies' efforts to create a 1st-line AK if he had nothing more than a business interest in it? He could have continued to sell them if he wished, first line or stock-in-the-box, as he once did the Vepr rifles and would likely have continued to make money doing so. Do you pay more attention to someone that promotes a single product because that's all they have, or someone who has the will and resources to drop something they don't agree with or believe in any more and go a different route out of choice and not by necessity?

There is also the Sig 516 and the FN FS2000, the AUG, and HK rifles and pistols, all being promoted by SI. Interest there is, but far more than just in the AK. Gabe in fact appears to be all but done with the AK.

Back to the thread: Reports are that the 556R is reliable and accurate and overall a solid platform. Note: It will not run the US Palm AK30 magazines. It runs other metal and composite mags fine. If you have a bunch of AK30s, you will want to keep another AK platform to run those with or send them to me for, ah, proper disposal.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 01:17:19 AM »
Absolutely correct on all points CR_Williams.  My intent is that the OP be cognizant of not just reviews and claims made (whatever the weapon system), but on the performance of the shooter, weapon and ammunition.  I'm not a big fan of the 7.62x39mm or the 5.56 NATO.  However, they do have their purposes.  It's my opinion that anyone in the "prepper community" make sound decisions on rifle selection, and part of that is based on price.  For $1,000+, I think there are better choices available (my opinion).  Of course, many of my choices aren't going to be the same as some preppers, since I would do any work to make a "good" rifle "great".  If someone else was to go that route, they may be priced out of that type of rifle/caliber combination.

To the OP- If a SIG 556R meets your requirements for desirable rifle performance and it's a comfortable shooting fit, then don't hassle yourself with positive or negative reviews.  It's what works for you that matters.  All the reviews in the world aren't going to help you as much as going out and trying the rifle yourself.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook