Author Topic: Emergency tooth extractions....  (Read 916 times)

Offline PE

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Emergency tooth extractions....
« on: November 09, 2012, 08:58:58 PM »
After I posted the previous post about Listerine, I thought about this, did a search and nothing came up, so.....
Are there any preppers out there that are involved in the dental profession?  Perhaps it would be great to get an insight on a field extraction of a bad tooth during or after a SHTF scenario.  Let's face it dentists haven't always been part of the scene.  Human kind had to deal with this affliction throughout history.  I know most would not be able to do a root canal or some thing of that nature, but a simple tooth pull?  PE

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Emergency tooth extractions....
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 12:43:19 AM »
Retired, but still working in the garden...

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »
I had a employee extract a tooth in the locker room a few years ago~walked in he was standing in front of a mirror with pliers in his mouth..

"Phil, what are you doing?!"
"I'm pulling this tooth, what does it look like I'm doing?"

At least it was during his break..
USMC vet

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 11:39:16 AM »
I do dental stuff in the animal field which is not too much different than human in alot of ways. The bosses would always let hand give ask me to do the tooth extractions unless I was thinking it was going to be a BAD one and I would let them break it as I knew it was going to break roots off anyway (so then I did not hear about it LOL). The reason they gave them to me was I have lots of patience and they didnt. You cannot rush a tooth extraction or you are going to break roots you will have to go digging for which is a whole nuther mess.

You have to loosen up all the ligaments and slowly try to roll the tooth out with an elevator.. or you can cut the tooth if it has more than two roots and bring out half at a time. You can also break jaws, the roots off the teeth and more, so be so very careful. If you do not have the antibiotics/tools, it might be better to leave the tooth in for some cases instead of making it worse.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:53 PM »
I don't play a dentist on TV, well, because I am one in real life.  Self extraction is a tricky business.  Best left to the insane.  Now if you have a buddy who needs one, that is different.  It is not very difficult to do a simple extraction on a single rooted tooth as long as there is a reasonably stable crown and no crazy curve to the root (that'st why we insist on X-Rays).  I think the lay person with just a little training, and the proper instruments, could do it.  The problem is being able to recognize when you are in over your head.  Break that root tip off down deep, then what? Fracture the jaw, oops!  How about causing SBE, or a cavernous sinus thrombosis?  Boy I wish I had the right antibiotics.  Like all things I guess you have to weigh the risks verses the benefits. Then lest talk about anesthesia, mandibular block (for a lower tooth) is a tricky injection, and getting em pass out drunk is for cowboy movies, so I guess you are going to have to skip it and pull it raw, fun. I guess to start things out you could use a flat bladed screwdriver as an elevator.  Please sterilize it.  The purpose of the elevator is a Cedar said, to loosen the periodontal ligaments, but also to rock the tooth buccaly and lingualy (palataly in the upper jaw) to expand the alveolar bone.  Living bone is plastic and will stretch small amounts if done slowly.  The elevator can also be used to literally elevate the tooth out, and I have done this, but it takes a long time.  Most providers, once the tooth is properly elevated switch to extraction forceps. There are many different styles for different teeth and taste, not sure what I would use out of my tool box in the garage, maybe a pair of channel locks, but boy would I spend a whole lotta time elevating with the screw driver.  The pliers are then gently but firmly used to grip the tooth, you do not want to break it, then the Buccal and lingual rocking is continued until the tooth rolls out to the lingual for a lower and buccal for an upper.  Then you must compress the bone, and make sure a clot forms.  If not you are going to have to place a mattress suture and or pack the socket.  Follow up must be done to deal with post surgical infection, dry socket and the likes.  Of course this is if it all goes well, if not, your screwed.

HTH
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 02:47:23 PM »
boy yuo made me get shivers and a funnh feelign in my gums...
Guess you managed to drive the point perfectly!
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
I don't play a dentist on TV, well, because I am one in real life. 

I was hoping you would pipe in!!!

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
Nice work Doc!  I need to stay at more holiday inn expresses.  I have a long way to go to catch you on dental.  Lol