Author Topic: GLOCK 26 Conversion to .22 for Training: Difficulty=Cold Weather  (Read 1174 times)

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
GLOCK 26 Conversion to .22 for Training: Difficulty=Cold Weather
« on: November 11, 2012, 01:37:17 AM »
GLOCK 26 Conversion to .22 for Training. Recommendations? What to watch for? What ammo?

My local gun club is under mandatory reconstruction (we go the good end of the eminent domain bids). Helps to have lots of lawyers I guess. Or, they just do not like to fnck with gun people. Anyway, I can only shoot rimfire for the next 6 months, and it will be outdoor, in Minnesota, in the winter. I can go to the indor range, but targets suck. I can not fire from holster. No moving targets, all the crap the indoor ranges have.

• I have watched the videos, does it really take 17 seconds to convert?
  • It is an everyday carry gun, does it hurt the gun in anyway?(This can be a secondary gun if need be). I'd rather spend my gun money on other stuff if it is not a worry.
  • I will be going back to 9mm to carry, even before I leave the range.
  • Do I need to watch the lube? I tend to under clean this gun (never had a malfunction in about 10,000 rounds). From what I have read there is LOTS of lead\yuk left in the gun.
  • Does anyone work with this configuration regularity? Do you need to change you cleaning schedule? What lube do you use?
  • Will the weather affect the eject of the .22?
  • What conversion, and who to buy from?
Am I missing anything?

Thanks gun guys and Ladies!

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline billt

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: GLOCK 26 Conversion to .22 for Training: Difficulty=Cold Weather
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:17:35 AM »
I believe the .22 conversion kits from both Tactical Solutions and Advantage Arms will fit only the full sized Glock models. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen them anywhere for the Mini Glocks. From what I've heard the Advantage Arms Glock Conversion Kit is the one to buy. Magil over at the Glock Store sells both of them. Magil knows Glocks inside and out, and sells everything imaginable for them.

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/1_Home/8179_Tactical+Solutions+.22+Conversion+Kit/?return=%3f

For lube in the cold weather of Minnesota I would use Mobil 1, 0W-20 Motor Oil. It won't thicken up like conventional oils will in cold weather. I used it in my compressor crankcase in Illinois, because my compressor was in an unheated garage. When I would start it the oil was so thick it would trip the circuit breaker. I changed the crankcase oil to Mobil 1, 0W-20 and it spun over like a top. On the Glock all you need is a drop on all 4 slide tabs on the frame.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:24:35 AM by billt »

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 07:28:25 AM »
Two things, one it depends on the generation of your Glock.  And two if you get one online your looking at a 6-8 month wait if you find one.  You might get lucky but the gen of your Glock is what is needed first.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:17 AM »
Advantage Arms does in fact make the conversion for the 26/27, gen 1, 2,and 3;

http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip/2560_.22+LR+Conversion+Kit/?return=%3ftpl%3Dsearch%26search_val%3Dadvantage%2Barms

Don't know what the current lead times are on that model; the one for the G19 was 6-12 months last I checked.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline roger123

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 05:32:25 PM »
I have the Advantage Arms conversion for my 26, it works very well.  I shoot Remington Gold (I get them in either a 550 or 225 round box from Walmart) rounds through it as recommended by Advantage.  They run very well, a few failures here and there but nothing to worry about.

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »
I have the Advantage Arms conversion for my 26, it works very well.  I shoot Remington Gold (I get them in either a 550 or 225 round box from Walmart) rounds through it as recommended by Advantage.  They run very well, a few failures here and there but nothing to worry about.

Can you swap back and forth? I also picked up a a Gen4 Glock 19 since the original post. It is my new "truck gun" not my EDC. I have no plans of carry with the 19, as it is too heavy for me. Plus the holster would give me too much seat rub, and I am not switching up that close of a gun style to a different holster than I have trained for 10 years with.

Do I send the gun away to get the conversion done, or is it something I order, and do it myself, or my gunsmith? My gunsmith does not carry, does not understand the idea of a civilain training, old vietnam vet.

I think my 26 is a gen 3.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 05:50:21 AM »
The conversion is simply a replacement slide assembly and a magazine; just take the original off, put the conversion on. You can swap them right on the firing line if you want to.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »
The conversion is simply a replacement slide assembly and a magazine; just take the original off, put the conversion on. You can swap them right on the firing line if you want to.

That is what I thought I read. Why are the wait times so long?

PokeShell

~Clint Eastwood

Offline roger123

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
Super simple, drop the mag, clear the gun, pull the trigger, remove the slide, put new slide on, slap in the mag and you're up and running.

I got mine off the shelf at my local gun store.