Author Topic: Cayenne Pepper for Bleeding  (Read 10999 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Cayenne Pepper for Bleeding
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:03:17 AM »
I know I read about this somewhere, maybe here. I also believe I saw something on YouTube. Apparently, cayenne pepper, when applied to a profusely bleeding wound, will act to stop the bleeding. The claim is that it will not sting. I've gotten rid of my Celox packets, as I understand the granules can migrate though the bloodstrem and form life-threatening clots where you don't want them (maybe I overreacted). I intend to get some of the military grade impegnated gauze when I manage to win the lottery. Does anyone have info on cayenne as a safe and effective "bloodstopper"? Also, is that Celox granule product really a problem?

Offline Preceptor

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Cayenne Pepper for Bleeding
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:11:21 AM »
NO NO NO NO NO NO

It is so unnecessary.  Don't fix something that isn't broken, please read my comment from another post.

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=37990.0

Offline Thom

• Survivor
  • WARNING: Not suitable for public consumption
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:31:50 AM »
I have a hard time believing that it's not going to sting.  I burns your mouth, it burns your eyes, it even burned your nose if you have if on your hand and wipe your nose, I can't see why it wouldn't burn like crazy in an open wound.  So now I have to try this (with a small wound, mind you) just to test this theory.

EOTS

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »
Disclaimer: haven't yet read the linked thread.

That said, I have used cayenne to stop bleeding myself. For the sake of this thread, I'll share that this summer, I cut my finger "badly" -- not badly as in dangerous or deep, as in wouldn't stop bleeding -- the cut was nearly parallel to the surface, so there wasn't anything to press together or a flap to close...

First: the cayenne works.

Second: whoever said it doesn't sting is a dirty stinking liar. The cayenne stung so bad I had to lay down on the floor so I didn't FALL down.

FWIW, we also have a child who is prone to nose bleeds (I was also as a child). Cayenne taken orally (in a glass of water or juice, or in capsules) is the only effective method we've found to stop the bleeding in a quick fashion.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 07:52:57 AM »
They said it wouldn't "sting".  Not that it wouldn't feel like someone set you on fire.  "Burn" is an entirely different sensation.

:censored: :'(

Offline Thom

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 08:25:36 AM »
whoever said it doesn't sting is a dirty stinking liar. The cayenne stung so bad I had to lay down on the floor so I didn't FALL down.

Awesome!  Thanks for taking one for the team...now I don't have to try this out.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »
Well, I think I've found a suitable answer at http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=243568. Celox and QuickClot are safe and effective; WoundStat isn't (discard any you come across).

Offline phobos

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 07:57:12 PM »
I tried cayenne on a small cut. It was not big enough to need a band aid. But man did that hurt. It probably would have hurt less if I cut off my finger to start with. It did stop the bleeding thew. I would use it aging if I need to stop bleeding.

Offline Thom

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:33:12 PM »
I tried cayenne on a small cut. It was not big enough to need a band aid. But man did that hurt. It probably would have hurt less if I cut off my finger to start with. It did stop the bleeding thew. I would use it aging if I need to stop bleeding.
I'm certainly glad someone besides me tried this out.  Something told me it was going to burn like hell.

Offline CulturedFool

• Prepper
  • To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »
I've never tried it myself so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt but I hear paprika will stop the bleeding as cayenne does but doesn't burn.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
Huge correction! As I continued to look for further info, I think I meant to say "paprika" instead of "cayenne". In a post elsewhere in the Forums, "Cedar" mentioned paprika as a treatment for bleeding wounds. I think my confusion stemmed from the fact that they both derive from peppers. Paprika is derived from a "sweet red pepper" and shouldn't cause the excruciating burning from the use of cayenne.

Offline phobos

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:39:45 PM »
Thats goog to know. I will have to try it the next time I get cut.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 08:05:12 PM »
I know that the Doom & Bloom's trauma kits contain cayenne powder.  I don't know that it is used for blood clotting, but that's what I would guess it is for.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 09:08:37 PM »
Thom,

You're back up "on deck".  Let us know if paprika stings.   :rofl:

Offline Thom

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:26:43 PM »
Thom,

You're back up "on deck".  Let us know if paprika stings.   :rofl:
Well then I suppose I should snag some paprika out of the spice rack on my way out of the house in the morning.  I'm bound to cut myself tomorrow at work in some way.  IT work can be tough on the hands.

Offline CulturedFool

• Prepper
  • To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 10:46:47 PM »
I cut myself on a mandolin the other day.  Not a bad cut but it was an opportunity to try to use paprika and see whether it worked.    It didn't seem to do much to the bleeding but it hurt, a lot.  It didn't send me to the floor but it hurt enough that if I had the choice of bleeding out or trying it again I might choose to bleed to death.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »
I cut myself on a mandolin the other day.  Not a bad cut but it was an opportunity to try to use paprika and see whether it worked.    It didn't seem to do much to the bleeding but it hurt, a lot.  It didn't send me to the floor but it hurt enough that if I had the choice of bleeding out or trying it again I might choose to bleed to death.

:rofl:

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
Here we go again. I'm pretty sure I read a post that Metamucil will work as a clotting agent, because it absorbs liquid. Anyone else pick up on this? I have a good friend who is an ER doctor and has done work for the DoD. We were discussing this and his opinion is that 99% of most bleeding can be controlled by steady and consistant pressure. Battlefield injuries are another matter that require a higher level of training and supplies.  I showed him my "blow-out" kit and the videos that purport to show how to use the contents. Unfortunately, he doesn't see the need for the average person to be this prepared. He see's the potential for the average person to do more harm than good and these things should be left to the professionals. Too bad.

Offline JohnB

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2013, 09:08:11 AM »
I watched a youtub video on this.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
He see's the potential for the average person to do more harm than good and these things should be left to the professionals. Too bad.
Agreed

Use some gauze, kerlix (roller gauze), your shirt, etc ad-infinitum...the good old fashioned tried & true stuff will get the bleeding stopped 99% of the time.

I can count on one hand the amount of souls I've cheated the reaper out of who've been bleeding so bad they needed more than the oh-so-unexciting pressure dressing. 

Save the spices for cooking & save the tacticool stuff for the guys that are getting paid to get shot at.

& in general...don't make shit harder than it needs to be. :dev:

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:20 PM »
Agreed

Use some gauze, kerlix (roller gauze), your shirt, etc ad-infinitum...the good old fashioned tried & true stuff will get the bleeding stopped 99% of the time.

I can count on one hand the amount of souls I've cheated the reaper out of who've been bleeding so bad they needed more than the oh-so-unexciting pressure dressing. 

Save the spices for cooking & save the tacticool stuff for the guys that are getting paid to get shot at.

& in general...don't make shit harder than it needs to be. :dev:

DEV - you're back  :)  +1

(but I am not stalking you)

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
I am

(I don't believe you)  :P

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 12:04:05 AM »
Rub some dirt in it and walk it off, sissy.

Online Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
Snopes doesn't believe in cayenne pepper for bleeding.

FACT CHECK: Will Cayenne Pepper Stop Serious Bleeding?

...“I’m unaware of any scientific data to support the claim that cayenne pepper can stop bleeding,” Donna Di Michele, the Deputy Director of the Division of Blood Diseases and Resources at the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, told us via email. “Capsicum, which is a species of pepper, is sometimes listed as a food or supplement that may increase the likelihood of bleeding in individuals who are so predisposed, particularly when on an anticoagulant,” she said, adding that some uncertainty in this area of research still exists. ...

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 03:21:23 PM »
Boink............ so.........to bleed or not to bleed.........to death.  :-\

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 06:20:46 PM »
I'm calling major irritation from the Capsaisin. Any aid in clotting might be from blood drying in the powder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsaicin

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:29 AM »
I'm with you Red, and the others that say/think that peppers will burn.
From processing peppers without gloves, and breathing the air when it's filled with pepper's from the food chopper, it would be tough to use them on your skin.

Offline Redman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 05:37:07 PM »
Ayup. I used to process them barehanded no problem. Seems like since I tried to make horseradish years ago without a proper respirator I need to use gloves. Also really need a respirator to run the trimmings and seeds down the garbage disposer, or just rake them out with a gloved hand, throw in trash, no respirator. If there is a mistake to make or place to touch with the stuff on your bare hand I've probably done it.  ::)