Author Topic: How about a Purpose Build BOB?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
How about a Purpose Build BOB?
« on: November 11, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
I have been browsing BOB threads for ages but I have not found anything like this.
I mean like a backpack that is designed from ground up as a BOB.

i.e.
Have side pockets that can fit a nelgene bottle & cup.
Have an organizer pocket with a fortified bottom & sides to keep tools like a folding saw on elastic loops
Have an rubber bottom and a rain cover
Have a quick access compartemtn for a poncho, and safety gear.
Have a pocket for a ahndheld radio on the side or on one of the straps
Have a cushioned belt compatible with carrying a pistol holster.
Have internal tie dow/compression straps for clothes and a properly designed compartment for BOB food
Be neutral in color (there are some backpacks marvelously inconspicous in colors & designs in the sake shops)

just daydreaming....
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: How about a Purpose Build BOB?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »
What you forgot to add is "low cost" since that is what I hear most people asking help to find.  Unfortunately, to get a pack with all the stuff you want/need you're going to have to expect to pay more than you would for a surplus ALICE pack for example.  I use my so-called BOB for many uses besides preparedness (hunting, hiking, etc.) so I want quality too, one that will hold up to rugged and frequent use.  All this you will have to "pay" for.

That said, I personally have experience with Eberlestock packs.  I am currently using a G2H (the hunting version of their Gunslinger II).  I also have experience with Tactical Tailor and they will CUSTOM BUILD YOU WHATEVER YOU WANT (but they don't have experience building one with an integral scabbard).

I feel my G2H fits in line with much of what you mention (they have other models that could get you closer), but I also wanted to be able to pack a rifle in it too.  I can actually buckle-up the bottom of the integral scabbard and still be able to hide my AR-15 in the scabbard of this pack so not to draw attention.  Or I can slide a full length rifle in and draw it out without taking the pack off.  It worked great for taking my elk last week. . . .  I loved having my hands free walking up and down the steep canyons (I put in a lot of miles on foot each day) and the great balance and weight distribution the design provided.  I've tried other packs that have the scabbard in the very back and they put a lot of weight to the back putting you off balance, plus you have to take the pack off to access the rifle.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 01:52:19 AM »
Regarding cost. Corners can be cut by eliminating other features/niceties. i.e. key ring holders and the countless molle webbing (that cries out TACTICOOL), and the multiple mesh pockets. And some of the wished for features  are already included in several other designs, ui.e. the side pockets but in other dimensions

And obviously no one should start designing a pack to compete with the Alices...At totally diferrent market. But making it Maxpedition style is no great feat...
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 03:04:47 AM »
What I have done (and continue to do), is to find a pack that has many of the things I'm looking for and NONE of the things I'm not.  Then I tailor the rest of it to meet my needs.  It's more cost effective, and you have a much better chance of getting exactly what you want.  Of course you may need to add sewing to the list of your 13 skills to learn if you don't already know how.  Making a few ghillie suits really develops that skill.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Datman01

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:27:52 PM »
What about going to a military surplus store and maybe get a used pack that may not have all that you want but add on to it's "abilities" by using Carabiners, paracord or other add-ons that can be fastened to it to suite your purposes.

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 04:30:40 PM »
Imo military surplus is the way to go unless you are prepared to spend a good chunk of change. You will not get a custom fit Nalgene waterbottle pocket or molle attachments but who cares. A tough reasonably sized pack for a reasonable amount of money.

I have a vintage climbing sack and now a surplus Norwegian mil item, but I really like the belt and harness approach adding buttpack and other attachments.