Author Topic: Mystery Ranch packs?  (Read 807 times)

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
Mystery Ranch packs?
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:05:05 PM »
Is anyone familiar with Mystery Ranch packs? They look high quality and really nice. Any first hand experience?
...no dangers at hand that I can see.' 'True,' replied the boar, 'but the instant my life is in danger, I shall need to use my tusks. There will be no time to sharpen them then.'  -Aesop

Check out my blog: TraceMyPreps

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Mystery Ranch packs?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 09:46:55 PM »
I have one Mystery Ranch Pack and h ad two, original Terraplane Overkills made by Dana Designs when Dana Gleason owned them.  He was the original owner of Dana Designs.

Keep in mind these are top-of-the line packs with cutting edge designs.  The Terraplanes are made from 1000-denier cordura and intended to be one of the toughest, most durable packs ever created.  In my opinion, they met that requirement and I expect nothing less from Dana's current company's 6500 BVS, which I currently use for my SUPER Long-Range BOB when I'm travelling. 

Keep in mind, you're trading comparably high weight for durability.  They're bomb-proof, but weigh quite a lot (my 6500 is over 9 lbs, empty).

Hope it helps.

The Professor

On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 10:08:17 PM »
No experience yet with Mystery Ranch, but I can echo the Prof's comments for the OLD Dana Design products.  I had an Astralplane and a Bombpack.  Both lasted 2 decades and say heavy use on several continents.  By the end they had duct tape patches, snapped stays/backplates, etc.... but I think it would have been unfair to expect otherwise.  They were AWESOME in terms of durability and also carried VERY well.  I didn't realize he was the brains behind it, but if so, hopefully Mystery Ranch will live up to the same.

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 11:58:06 AM »
Thanks The Professor that did help. I guess as cool as they would be I probably can find something more mainstream to fill the gap (and save the money).
...no dangers at hand that I can see.' 'True,' replied the boar, 'but the instant my life is in danger, I shall need to use my tusks. There will be no time to sharpen them then.'  -Aesop

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 12:21:40 PM »
Thanks The Professor that did help. I guess as cool as they would be I probably can find something more mainstream to fill the gap (and save the money).

A lot of this will depend upon your budget and required pack size, but. . .

If you want another extremely durable set of packs, take a look at Kifaru or Lowe-Alpine.  The Kifaru's are a little less expensive, but have proven very durable, so far.  I use the Kifaru Navigator as the basis for my home kits.  It's a little smaller, about 4000 cubic inches as opposed to the 6500 ci of the Mystery Ranch 6500, but external pockets are easily attached/detached (which is why I use it for the home kit - modularity).   It's almost as comfortable over the long-haul as the Mystery Ranch and Kifaru backs up their packs 100%.

The Lowe-Alpine packs are very durable commercial packs, but Lowe has a VERY long tradition of packs being used in the military (I still have one of the original, special-run Lowe Vector packs with built-in rapelling harness).    They have packs that run the full gamut of size ranges.

The down side of the commercial Lowe packs is that it's a little more difficult to attach external pouches, but this is easily fixed with some basic hardware such as fastex buckles and some ingenuity.

Hope it helps.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »
Thanks a lot for the information. I'll look in that direction also.