Author Topic: Collapse by Richard Stephenson  (Read 839 times)

Offline NevadaMan

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Collapse by Richard Stephenson
« on: November 11, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
I just finished this book last night and it is one of the best books I've read in a long time.  It is set in the year 2027 and deals with the collapse of American society.  What freaked me out about this book was how realistic this book is, practically ripped from the headlines.

The country is in the Second Great Depression, the most powerful hurricane in history has already demolished Florida, another superhurricane is headed to Texas.  We can all look at the recent headlines from Hurricane Sandy and see the serious damage that can be done, it opened my eyes to take survival more seriously.  Iran has taken over the Middle East and is sending waves of hidden terrorists into the US, called The Silent Warriors, and they're doing really horrifying stuff freaking out teh population.  And to top everything off, some really crooked and power hungry politicians are planning to make things even worse so they can be more powerful.

This book scared the crap out of me.  Most Americans are so arrogant that we are convinced that our nation will stay strong and could never crumble from within.  I'm not trying to start a political debate but I think the election is pushing closer to the reality of this book.

Code: [Select]
http://www.amazon.com/Collapse-New-America-Book-One-ebook/dp/B008HYUFWO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Offline gloomygus

• Prepper
  • Be Prepared or Die
Re: Collapse by Richard Stephenson
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 11:19:21 AM »
I agree!  This book is really, really good.

Most end of the world books have zombies, a killer plague, aliens, or some other supernatural cause.  This book is realistic, it puts together several real-life scenarios that could really and truly spell doom for us all.

It is also written very well, excellent characters, lots of action, and all the storylines meet up at the end in a very cool way.  I'm glad this is the first in a series, can't wait to read the next book.

Offline snickers

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:20:15 PM »
Thanks Nevadaman, I'm scared just thinking about it! I'll have to check that out.

hobbs67

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I was thinking about reading it and now will.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Looks interesting.  And it is only $1 on kindle right now.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 03:57:19 PM »
Thanks, will check it out.

If you liked that "near future / already into the collapse" scenario, check out the Renewal series by JF Perkins:

http://www.amazon.com/Renewal-ebook/dp/B004YX8P4M/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1

It's a 10-book series, kinda like what Heavy G / Glen Tate is doing with 299 Days, but each one is just $0.99.  Well worth the read.  The description of what Bill's family does in the early days of the collapse is worth the price of admission.

Offline lowland farmer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:53 PM »
I’ve studied the possibility of a worldwide pandemic, and not only is it possible it is probable to the point of being metaphysical servitude. Our population is at an all-time high and population density is higher than ever. Also, people fly around the world nowadays, making it possible for a plague to spread around the world in a matter of weeks. Modern medicine will probably fail to prevent it because of all the microbes that are becoming drug resistant.

Personally, my studies have convinced me the US Dollar will collapse soon under the weight of the REAL national debt that is anywhere from $140 trillion to $202 trillion, depending on the economists you want to believe. It is estimated that EACH of the 78 million boomers who are retiring today and over the next ten years will cost taxpayers between one and two million bucks from the time they retire until they die. What is 78 million times two million? Add to that all of the local, state, and federal government workers who have been promised extra goodies when they retire, AND add to that all of the vets who have been promised even more goodies, even if they serve for a few years, not just those who serve 20 or more years. We already spend 4% of the federal budget on the VA, and that it twice what we spend on the federal government itself (2%)! If interest rates go up, servicing the official national debt of $16 trillion would add up to ALL of today’s federal budget. There is simply no way to avoid hyper inflation and a collapse of the US Dollar when most Americans do not pay enough taxes to cover the cost of them living in this country, meaning they are negative taxpayers. Fifty percent of tax filers pay ZERO federal taxes and most parents do not pay enough local and state taxes to cover the cost of one child in public schools, much less all of the other costs of them living in the county and state. Only the upper 25% of tax filers actually pay in more taxes than the government spends on them, and that is not sustainable. A collapse of the US Dollar is unavoidable, because the takers will never agree to vote to take less and pay more taxes at the same time.

I think everyone should read as much as possible, but many of the self-published books out there are written by people who are not knowledgeable on the subjects they write about. The book in question, I have only read the sample on Amazon, but I will probably buy it, as I try to read everything available.