Photobucket

Author Topic: EMPs and Solar Panels  (Read 570 times)

Offline AZCowboy

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
EMPs and Solar Panels
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:11:35 PM »
I have made several Faraday cages ( 33 gal steel trash can with a 15 Gal trash can insert). My concerns are about my Goal Zero solar panels that I have to charge several large Goal Zero batteries/inverters.

Question:  Can solar panels survive an EMP in a unshielded condition without being inserted in a Faraday cage? 

I appreciate your valued feedback.

Offline jim124816

• Survivor
Re: EMPs and Solar Panels
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:09:55 PM »
I have made several Faraday cages ( 33 gal steel trash can with a 15 Gal trash can insert). My concerns are about my Goal Zero solar panels that I have to charge several large Goal Zero batteries/inverters.

Question:  Can solar panels survive an EMP in a unshielded condition without being inserted in a Faraday cage? 

I appreciate your valued feedback.

I am interested to hear answers to this as well.  If anyone has input, we are listening.  Thanks.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:55 PM »
Are your panels "just panels", or do they incorporate microinverters?
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:57:57 AM »
Very interesting topic.  EMP is way down on my list of concerns at the moment, but I'll be keeping an eye on this to see what we come up with.

When you get the chance, please stop over at the Intro Thread and introduce yourself.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Thomas Johnson

• Prepper
  • Survivalist DeLuxe :-)
    • Survival Guide
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:48:33 AM »
Depends on a great deal and can be quite hard to answer..
First of all, the load of you panels/grid at the time of the EMP. If at high capacity it will have little room for the emp voltage surge. But at night it might be a bit different.
Most panels should do just fine through an EMP, however the wires in the panels might get fried. But all of this depends on the power of the EMP.

I wouldn´t worry too much about the panels, but having a repair kit (wires) would be wise. Just my 5 cents.
Full time wilderness guide and freelance writer for ablesurvivor.com
"We are just 9 meals from anarchy"