Photobucket

Author Topic: Ideas for Give Away Box  (Read 852 times)

Offline Z71-K9

• Fledgling Prepper
Ideas for Give Away Box
« on: November 11, 2012, 09:59:31 PM »
I want to put together a large box of preps to give away to family in an emergency.  I am thinking of box the size of a Rubbermaid Action Packer  set up for a weather emergency. 

Any ideas on what to stock? 

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Ideas for Give Away Box
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 01:37:39 AM »
other than what sites like ready.gov suggest?

A GOOD mobile charger device that uses AA batteries
A car USB power port with multiple charging cables (though all phones today can be charger by their micro-USb port)
Chloron Bleach (for hygiene and water purification)
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:27:02 AM »
Hit the dollar store. We packed "go boxes, or giveaway boxes for under 25 bucks.

We got plastic cat litter boxes, cleaned very well and packed up with stuff from dollar store.

Beans, Rice, spices (ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, seasoning, salt, etc.) canned meats, dry pasta, hand sanitizer, toilet paper, feminine hygiene products, deck of cards, lighter, matches, band aids, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, bleach, can opener, small metal pot from goodwill, pad of paper, pens, universal phone charger with attachments, hard candies, antihistamines, small aspirin/ibuprofen.

Is enough to sustain someone for 3 days or so. Because water took up so much space we couldn't fit it in. We are looking for some inexpensive water filter but no good one yet.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 07:55:41 AM »
A car USB power port with multiple charging cables (though all phones today can be charger by their micro-USb port)
Actually, there are several phones still on the market that have proprietary charging ports.  But still a good idea to have the USB power port.

rikkrack, I see mention of a small pot, but no mention of any sort of stove.  For the water filter, how about something like a water filter straw?  They can't really be used long term, but for a short duration emergency they would work.  I've seen them for less than $10, granted, for a family, that really adds up.

Keep in mind that liquid bleach has a limited shelf life.  I don't think powdered chlorine bleach has as short of a shelf life.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 09:01:20 AM »
I figured cooking on open fire or grill. Limited space. I may put in a small alcohol stove or similar. The straw was good for drinking but not for cooking with. So like pool bleach powder? We just used the small bottled of bleach in the containers. May also throw in a slingshot with some marbles too.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Alan Georges

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »
Hit the dollar store. We packed "go boxes, or giveaway boxes for under 25 bucks.
We are looking for some inexpensive water filter but no good one yet.

Berkey Bottle?  Even that doubles the price of your GABs, but it's the cheapest least expensive water filter that actually works.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
Is enough to sustain someone for 3 days or so. Because water took up so much space we couldn't fit it in. We are looking for some inexpensive water filter but no good one yet.

I would be cautious of an inexpensive water filter.
Water = LIFE.
Don't take shortcuts or chances with water.

LOCK N LOAD !!!!

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 12:00:56 PM »
exactly why i haven't been able to find one yet. As these are giveaways I didn't want to put too much into them, yet a system that is good enough for someone to use or that i would use if it were me.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »
I want to put together a large box of preps to give away to family in an emergency.  I am thinking of box the size of a Rubbermaid Action Packer  set up for a weather emergency. 

Any ideas on what to stock?
Action Packers (while you mention the size not that you are buying them) are rather expensive as 'give aways'.  Might look at upcycling icing tubs from the bakery or food grade buckets from local restaurants.

I agree on hitting the dollar store.  You can get simple things,.. TP, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, simple First Aid, baby wipes, and such.  Even some playing cards and hard candy is good to toss in.

Drop in 2 bottles of water - I see 32 bottle cases at SAMs for $4,.. so little cost.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline KellyAnn

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 08:41:45 PM »
If you're giving the boxes away when there has been a disaster, couldn't you just give them the water in addition to the box/kit?