Author Topic: Canning Supplies  (Read 1101 times)

Offline Charlie17

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Canning Supplies
« on: November 13, 2012, 01:02:52 PM »
I am interested in getting into canning and was wondering what you all considered a good price for supplies... jars, lids, rings, caners, etc.  I am in the Ohio area if there are pricing differences around the country.  Thanks.

Offline scoob

• Survivor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
    • Marksmanship and American Heritage
Re: Canning Supplies
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 01:50:18 PM »
I live in Idaho, but I start with what the grocery stores are charging, since they all carry canning supplies here.  A dozen new jars with lids/rings runs $10-$12/dozen for Ball and Kerr.  Tiny bit cheaper at Walmart for an off-brand, not sure which.  If I'm surfing craigslist, I usually hold out for around $.50/jar.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 02:07:52 PM »
Depends...are you buying everything new?  I have 5 pressure canners, all pre-owned, all work as good as new, and the most I paid for any of one them was $80 (what I paid at an estate auction for an All-American that was like new...they are over $200 brand new), and two of the five canners I have were free. Most of the jars have been either handed down from grandmothers or picked up free/cheap at freecycle, yard sales and auctions.  Quart jars new run about $10 a dozen, but you can often find them cheaper at end of season sales, but be forewarned...the new jars aren't as thick/heavy duty as the older ones (Wmart's Golden Harvest brand are especially thin), and as such I've had a couple of the new ones break during processing, so I would get the older jars if at all possible. The lids (flats) and most of the rings I do purchase new, however.  In saying that, I'm considering going to Tattlers, which can be used over and over again. http://www.reusablecanninglids.com/  Although the Tattlers are a bit pricey initially, they will be cheaper in the long run if you plan on canning year after year. 

For my water bath canning, I simply use my stock pot (place a folded thick dish towel in the bottom in lieu of a canning rack) or if I am doing juice in half gallons, hubby's turkey fryer.  :) 

If you get a pre-owned pressure canner (personally I would do this even if I were buying a brand new one), be sure to take it by the county extension center and get the gauge tested before ever using it.  You should periodically get the gauges tested anyway.  And if needed, get a new seal/gasket...you should be able to easily find at your local farm and home supply store (Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply, etc.). But even if the gasket on the one you get is ok, it wouldn't hurt to pick up an extra gasket, just to have on hand.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed.  If you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."--Mark Twain

Offline Charlie17

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I was trying to get the info so when I saw a supposed sale, I knew if it was actually a good value or still over priced mainly for jars, lids, and rims.  I figured I would go new (birthday or Christmas present) on the actual pressure caner.  Thanks again for the info.  Are there any on-line site you recommend for jars, lids, etc or does shipping make it cost prohibitive?  Thanks.

Offline Twibble

• Survivor
  • I forgot what I was thinking...
    • Trepanation for the Sane
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2012, 01:09:08 PM »
I plan on getting the Presto canner at Walmart pretty soon.  It has a jigger instead of a pressure gauge, so you don't have to take it to your extension agency to get it calibrated.  It's about $67.  They have flats of 12 jars (in the 8 oz. & 4 oz. sizes, not sure how many are in the flats of bigger jars) for about $7.75, and lids for under $2/dozen.
Cousin: "Who was crazy enough to take her to the range?"
Guy I later married: "I figured I should know how well she can shoot before I tick her off.  I don't want to tick her off."

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »
I am interested in getting into canning and was wondering what you all considered a good price for supplies... jars, lids, rings, caners, etc.  I am in the Ohio area if there are pricing differences around the country.  Thanks.

If you are near the northeast side of the state, try Lehman's Hardware in Kidron.
Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.
 - Ronald Reagan

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 06:27:01 PM »
Primary for canning (in my opinion)
1. Ball Blue Book of Canning (the thin one, read it from cover to cover before getting your stuff)
2. Waterbath AND Pressure canner. (I have the mirro/presto one from Walmart with the jiggler)
3)a set of canning tools (jar lifter, funnel, lid lifter)
4)decent jars...I like Ball/Kerr/Golden Harvest over the WalMart ones.

Right now, you can save on canning supplies. Go to the Lowe's web site and search for canning jars. It will pull up a sale price as they seasonally discontinue and all stores are out of stock but the sale price is good until Jnuary they say.  Print off the page and take it to WalMart...they WILL price match them, as will Target (usually).  If you have a large family, get more quarts, otherwise, pints are good. Get wide mouth jars if you can as they are more versitile (my opinion).
Good luck!
I'm always working to get ready.
shtfradio.com Thurs. 8 eastern
http://greensurviving.blogspot.com/

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
For the future... keep your eyes peeled for sales on canning supplies at the end of the summer season. Sometimes you can find cases of jars for about half-price. I was lucky in this regard awhile back and got cases of brand-new Ball jars for about $4.00/case. I also picked up canning lids for about half-price as well. Since I stocked up so well, I will not need lids or jars for awhile, I'm thinking...

At thrift stores you can sometimes find the jars for $.25 each. Just check to make sure they don't have any nicks in the top where the ring needs to seal. Sticking with either Kerr or Ball brand jars in the case of used jars wouldn't be a bad idea either...

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 03:48:09 PM »
Tractor Supply has what is left of their canning stuff marked down.  They had lids left for .99 a box.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 10:26:21 AM »
if you can't find jars on sale (and I never can around here), fillmorecontainer.com is affordable, good jars made in the USA and really good service. 

It's a field trip a df and I make once a year to buy jars over in Lancaster PA.   

I've never been lucky enough to find any great deals on jars/equipment.  Maybe you will be luckier.