Author Topic: Gererator is important!  (Read 698 times)

Offline yodal

• Survivor
Gererator is important!
« on: November 13, 2012, 05:22:25 PM »
How can I get my wide to see the importance of a generator. She's slowly coming on board with the prepping thing.
She buys extra beans and rice. But not near enough for me to feel comfortable.
But I'll walk buy a generator at the hardware store and say ( look Babe, that's not a bad price!) And her responce is. We don't need it. We have wood heat. That's it! Everything else in the house is electric!
I'm afraid she won't see the importance of one until we are without power for a week.and start stinkin!
We lose power every year because of snow related issues. Last year was for 7 days. But in that house all the appliances were gas!
Any ideas?
“Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope”

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: Gererator is important!
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
Maybe look for some articles about the effects of Hurricane Sandy?  Or posts here on the forum?  There are lots of people talking about what they used their generators for, how important they are, or how much they wish they had one.
Check out my blog: Frugal Upstate 
Frugal-Sustainable-Prepared

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:06:32 PM »
Sounds to me like a tool.  A tool is men's business.  Does she come to you when she wants a new skillet?

Okay, okay, just kidding . . . .  My wife and I make these decisions together too and I'm fine with that, really.  ;D
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:20:22 PM »
She may belooking at the generators thinking they are a lot of money. Why not start out by getting one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TE0IMG/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001TE0IMG&linkCode=as2&tag=knowledgepubc-20 and a couple of extension cords to keep the fridge and freezer cold? Stock up on flashlights and rechargeable batteries. Less money. See www.solar1234.comand listen to Steve Harris' podcast with Jack. I think episode 939 was the one that covered inverters.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »
I suspect your wife might be more amenable to preparation purchases if you stop referring to her as wide:P

Seriously though, generators have many uses beyond backup power for one's home. If your wife handles the checkbook start saving your allowance and purchase one with cash. As many have posted since Sandy, consider the tri-fuel or the inverters first and work up to something larger with more power as funds allow and your wife's normalcy bias recedes.

Most people don't need CPR training until a family member needs his/her life saved when they fall down right in front of you. A generator is similar. By the time you need it the time has already passed to get it.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:49:10 PM »
I suspect your wife might be more amenable to preparation purchases if you stop referring to her as wide:P

Doh !! . . .  Yea, they hate that, I've been told, by others.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late