Photobucket

Author Topic: Vacuum Packer. . . Not just for food  (Read 1542 times)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Vacuum Packer. . . Not just for food
« on: November 13, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »
For those of you preparing your bags (BOB, GHB, Hunting, etc) . . . .  If you're a hunter, hiker or just a prepper you know how annoying water can be (rain, snow, or falling in a creek) on the contents you keep in your pack.  I've got a solution to offer that I've been using for hunting and its been working pretty well.

For the gear I need daily access to I keep in good quality zip-lock bags, for other items that I only need when I need it and not very often, I seal it in a bag with my vacuum sealer before I leave.

This has proven helpful even for items that can get wet but increase in weight when they do (ie mule tape for building shelter or hanging my elk quarters in a tree).  I have also found it helpful in extending life to the items in my IFAK because the packaging some of the items come in get wear holes pretty easy.  Also items such as my lighters that evaporate their fuel, vacuum sealing seems to extend their life a bit, including keeping my tinder dry.

Another advantage is that the vacuum sealing process shrinks their size down to pack much smaller in the pack 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:41:09 PM by nelson96 »
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
Re: Vacuum Packer. . . Not just for food
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:34:09 PM »
Agreed, I have vacuum sealed all kinds of things in mylar bags, from socks to fishing line (not sure why fishing line goes bad and gets brittle, but vacuum sealing it cant hurt)

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
Ive broken bulk ammo into smaller units and vacuum sealed them for storage. Works great !!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:19:40 AM »
I have a wool blanket in the trunk of the car.  I vacuum sealed that as well.  It keeps it tidy and dry.  Vacuum sealing works great for so many things.

F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 07:19:57 AM »
I vacuum seal skivvies  with a sanitary pad.  Makes it really small and compact fits nicely into my purse.  I also have a packet sealed with matches socks bandaids bandana.  I take the card board out of the bottom of my purse and replace it with those items and you would never know it was there.   I also make up little packets of things and put in the glove box of my car.  keeps things neat and tidy with minimal space.

Keeping extra clothes in the car sealed with a dryer sheet has come in handy a time or two.  I also like to keep a hat & gloves sealed.  That way they don't really take up that much room so I really don't need to take them out during the summer.  Of course TP one open roll in a zip lock and some sealed for just in case.  That is one thing I really don't ever want to be without!   ;)  So many good uses for that vacuum packer I often wonder how I ever did without it. 
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 07:58:11 AM »

I vacuum sealed the power inverter I keep in my truck :).   I don't use it much and figured it needed to stay dry.  Plus, I'm thinking when I do open it....I can use the bag to help keep it dry under the hood while it is in use.

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »
I used a vac sealer to seal up my socks & clothing when I did the Avon 3 day walk back in 1999. (3 day/60 miles)
The only down side was with the packets of clothing being so small, I opted for a backpack that was just the right size for those little packets. Once they were opened, all the clothing puffed back up and I couldn't get everything back in the back pack! Doh!
Other than that, it worked great, keeping my clothing dry when my tent was soaked with dew.

Eriko, the chronic over-packer.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 02:41:08 PM »
I used a vac sealer to seal up my socks & clothing when I did the Avon 3 day walk back in 1999. (3 day/60 miles)
The only down side was with the packets of clothing being so small, I opted for a backpack that was just the right size for those little packets. Once they were opened, all the clothing puffed back up and I couldn't get everything back in the back pack! Doh!
Other than that, it worked great, keeping my clothing dry when my tent was soaked with dew.

Eriko, the chronic over-packer.

POOF
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:08:33 PM »
I've used my vac sealer quite a bit for gun parts and spare magazines. I just put them in the bag with a small piece of rag soaked in gun oil.
Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessaries-Mark Twain

My life has a sound track, and it goes to 11.

Married White Male -looking for wild healthy mature Catfish. No smaller than 15 pounds but the bigger the better. Does not need to cook or clean, just needs enjoy munching on chicken livers and long fights on the beach. Please meet me tonight at Walborn Reservoir. Ill be waiting.

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 07:05:37 AM »
guys & gals I have a question.
How well does a vaccum sealer wok on regular plastic bags?

I am not going for food packing, I am aiming for packing soft items.
So I do not mind if air leaks through the plastic pores later on.

My reservations is one possible mediocre vaccuming and if the heat sealing element to too string for regular bags like ziplocs.
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 11:17:35 AM »
guys & gals I have a question.
How well does a vaccum sealer wok on regular plastic bags?

I am not going for food packing, I am aiming for packing soft items.
So I do not mind if air leaks through the plastic pores later on.

My reservations is one possible mediocre vaccuming and if the heat sealing element to too string for regular bags like ziplocs.

Two issues that I can think of, but only guess at . . . .  I do believe that a zip-lock sandwich type bag would simply melt when you try to seal it . . . .  And vacuum sealable bags have one textured side which helps the sealer pull the air from the entire bag.

Why may I ask do you not use the correct bags?  Is it just cost?
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2012, 12:47:45 PM »
yes cost and availability. post service has degraded the last months with occasional missing packages so buying from abroad is less of an option now.

I can go around the lack of a textured side. Someone on youtube (TNGun) does a nifty trick with mylar bags.
And i do have a lot of thicker than usuall bags.....

hmm.....
Thanks anyway
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
I've used my vac sealer quite a bit for gun parts and spare magazines. I just put them in the bag with a small piece of rag soaked in gun oil.

Thats a great idea.   :clap:
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline kevo

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 04:48:09 PM »
What is a good quality vacuum pack bag? I've used the food saver brand only to find they have lost their vacuum after a couple of months.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 05:11:06 PM »
What is a good quality vacuum pack bag? I've used the food saver brand only to find they have lost their vacuum after a couple of months.

What are you sealing in them? . . .  Could it be that the bag is getting punctured, or that you are not getting a good seal?  Punctures can happen from inside or outside.  If you suck liquid or other debris up in to the area to be sealed, you won't get a good seal.  Food Saver bags are all I've used and I've never had a problem unless it was something I did.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:56 PM »
I found that they work great for sealing potato chips bags if you don't use vacuum.  Regular zip lock bags are too thin and melt too much.