Photobucket

Author Topic: Looking for a Driect 12Volt Sump Pump w/Automatic Switch  (Read 1885 times)

Offline gzibell

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Looking for a Driect 12Volt Sump Pump w/Automatic Switch
« on: November 14, 2012, 02:12:31 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Been searching this topic for quite some time and haven't yet found the answer that I am looking for.  Hope someone has some insight for me. 

I currently have a 12V Battery Backup system in place for my Pellet Stove.  I ran a line so I could put by backup battery in my basement out of sight.  Have to keep the wife happy!

So I now have a 12v Battery sitting about 5 feet from my sump hole.  I have two sump pumps in the hole.  One I just added this year, raised the old one a bit and kept it for a backup.  I would like to replace the old pump with a 12 Volt DC pump to directly connect to the battery.  If power goes out and the water level raises to a point higher that the main pump, 12volt pump kicks in and takes care of business. 

I have found tons of Battery Backup Kits, That require an additional battery.  I do not want to use these as I have already invested in a substantial battery and charge maintaining system.  I have been able to find a stand alone pump.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thank You

Offline Joe_Nobody

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Looking for a Driect 12Volt Sump Pump w/Automatic Switch
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 10:28:33 PM »
Try looking at marine 12VDC Bildge pumps. They come standard with automatic float switces and are very robust. You can get all sizes.

Best of luck!

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 01:25:23 PM »
Ditto. From a Hurricane Sandy thread:

"My co-worker had previously purchased a good-sized 12V bilge pump at a marine store and a spare 12 V battery that fit his car.  This pump helped de-water the house when no one else around could do so. Might be a good solution for those of you with sump pumps and no power. They're available in sizes from 500 to 2000 gph."

Offline Freebirde

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »
Also look at RV dealers for replacement pumps for the waste tanks.    You will have to add a float switch to it.
With all the new and different mistakes out there waiting to be made, why keep repeating the same ones?

http://www.extension.org/

I just don't let preconceptions get in the way of doing what needs to be done.

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, nihil deerit
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 04:01:37 AM »
You can buy "automatic" or "submersible" bilge pumps that have float switches built in. Those are more common than those with external float switches and are extremely reliable.

They're $25 up on eBay depending on the size you buy.

BTW it's typical for boats to have a solar trickle charger to keep their battery banks topped off. They are small and relatively inexpensive, but the cable run to a basement probably wouldn't work well - DC voltage doesn't hold up with long cable runs.

You can buy a "maintenance charger" to keep the battery topped off for $6 [on sale at HF] to about $20.

500GPH is about the smallest and don't forget that volume would be reduced with a high head. The blue base comes off and there is a stainless steel mesh strainer underneath. Sump pumps are generally more like 2-3,000 gph.

Offline gzibell

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
Hey Guys.

Thanks for all of this info!  I am going to check out a local store after work and see what I can find.  I think a bilge pump is going to be the answer that I was looking for.  I will have to do some creative plumbing to get it hooked up properly. 

Just a comment on my current 12V setup and cable run.  I have the battery in my basement about 2 feet away from my sump hole.  Since the pump will be a high draw application this should be perfect.  I have a maintenance charger hooked up to the battery as well.  I ran a 12V cable up to my living room to feed my pellet stove.  I suppose it is about a 15-20 foot cable run.  The pellet stove is a very low draw application so the cable run shouldn't make much difference.  Testing the voltage after the cable run is equal to that direct on the battery. 

Once I get a bilge pump installed I will feel much better.  We just moved into our first home this past summer.  About a week after we got 6+ inches of rain.  The sump pump that was in the hole could barely keep up.  There is 3 large egress windows that have drain tile in them.  Since the pump could not keep up the drain tile was submerged and the windows wells began to fill up with water and spray into our finished basement.  It was a nightmare.  We got it cleaned up and the next day I picked up a 1hp sump pump capable of like 6000 GPH and used the original as a backup.  The previous homeowner had plumed the sump pump either into the city sewer or outside with the flip of a switch.  I used that and plumed my new pump primarily outside but can be switched and the old pump to primary city sewer but also could be switched.  So I have 2 1.5" sump outlets.  This made me sleep much better.  I always had the concern of what if the power would have went out.  In the time it would have taken me to hook up and start me generator we would have had inches on water on the floor for how fast it was coming in. 

Installing a bilge pump will ease my mine even further and at least provide a slight time buffer in this situation.  Give me time to fire up my generator to let the main pump run.  Also if we are not home and the power fails hopefully the bilge pump can keep up and keep the basement dry. 

It will be a good feeling know to that my basement will be Dry and my home will be heated in the event of a power failure. 

I wonder what else I could use my 12V setup for.  I have plans to wire up some 12V cigarette lighter adapters so we can charge phones and such. 

Anyone have any other ideas that I could utilize this setup for?

Offline gzibell

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 04:57:50 PM »
Update:

I got "Project Squid" completed this weekend.  I now have a 3700GPH bilge pump and a 1HP 5400GPH sump pump in the hole.  I was going to post a picture but couldn't figure out how.   :-\  Everything is all wired and plumed so I should have no worries in the basement getting flooded department and it feels good.

Online Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wishin' every month of the year could be June.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:16 PM »
Update:

I got "Project Squid" completed this weekend.  I now have a 3700GPH bilge pump and a 1HP 5400GPH sump pump in the hole.  I was going to post a picture but couldn't figure out how.   :-\  Everything is all wired and plumed so I should have no worries in the basement getting flooded department and it feels good.

Congratulations!  Hope you enjoy sleeping a little better from now on -- you've earned it.
Build it or buy it, start it up and try it, maybe even fry it.  Otherwise you'll never know if it works.

I swear, there are times it seems like "Baofeng" is Cantonese for "hot mess."