Author Topic: Looking for advice, and I know that there will be varying opinions  (Read 793 times)

Offline BadgerAngel

• Senior Survivalist
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
I'm looking for a seatbelt cutter/window breaker combo for the car, preferably for $30 or less. 

Here's where there will be fights; multi-tool.  I'm willing to drop up to $50 for this.  What's the best, I mean absolutely drop dead can't miss best, multi-tool I can get for that price?  Preferably something that's small enough that I can get The Husband to carry it?  (I'm buying this for him for Christmas and will pick one up for my EDC afterwards.)

Thank you!
Proud member of the MSB
Check out Compton After Dark on VOC Nation.  http://www.vocnation.com/COMPTON_AFTER_DARK.html
Pro Wrestling, comics, and prepping to be coming up soon.

Of Seraphim and Cherubim is now available to buy through Kindle! 
http://amzn.to/UHWIiX

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Looking for advice, and I know that there will be varying opinions
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »
Everyone in my fire department carries a resqme.  There's other products that will do the job, but dollar for dollar, pound for pound, I think it's a great little tool.

As for best multitool, that's too hot a potato for me to touch.  However, since I just saved you $15 on the seatbelt cutter/window breaker, you can now drop $65 on the multitool. ;)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 11:19:21 PM »
Just wait and find a leatherman wave or surge on sale, they are the best. I found many surges on clearance at walmart once for $20 and I bought them all. normally 90.

There are other good ones too but these are versatile and large enough to do real jobs.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 11:37:10 PM »
Another vote for the ResQme, as suggested by Endurance.  I've found them for about $8.  Using 550 cord, I have attached them to the arms of the window visors on all our vehicles so you don't have to search for them in time of stress.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 11:58:00 PM »
Another vote for the ResQme, as suggested by Endurance.  I've found them for about $8.  Using 550 cord, I have attached them to the arms of the window visors on all our vehicles so you don't have to search for them in time of stress.

The Professor
Where did you find them for $8? And I like the idea of hooking to arm of the visor instead of on the key chains.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 12:17:21 AM by soccer grannie »

Offline BadgerAngel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 05:42:21 AM »
Awesome, thanks Endurance for the Resqme recommendation.  I hadn't seen that one, somehow, and I've searched the forum repeatedly. 

Leatherman Wave or Surge, huh?

Thank you!!!
Proud member of the MSB
Check out Compton After Dark on VOC Nation.  http://www.vocnation.com/COMPTON_AFTER_DARK.html

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:52:13 AM »
Another vote for the resqme and the leatherman wave, have and carry both.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:14 AM »

On a side note; how does one expect to find a seat belt cutter tool / window breaker if the accident you're in in sever enough to warrant one?  Do you put it on your pocket each time you get in?  I'd immagine an impact will scatter cabin contents. 

What do those who have them do?

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
My resqme is attached to my keys, so in the event of an accident, they are in easy reach.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »
I have one on my key chain so it's attached for quick removal from my ignition and the other is on my bunker gear.

There are other incidents that come to mind where I'd like to have a Resqme, namely being in a public building with glass walls or large window where I may not have immediate access to an emergency exit.  It makes the possibility of creating an emergency exit a reality.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline BadgerAngel

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
Yeah, I'm planning on having one on the keychain, one on the EDC bag.  I have no idea where (or if) The Husband will carry his.  I will feel better, though, knowing that he has it, as well as the multi-tool.

Proud member of the MSB

Offline greggcole

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:14:05 PM »
Lowe's has one. Bought it for my wife. It is a pocket styled knife with a window breaker and seatbelt cutter. $9.95. It won't do much else, but was the first preparedness tool I bought her. She thought it was sweet that I cared that much about her safety to think of something like that.