Author Topic: Episode 1020 maker workshops  (Read 845 times)

Offline Kreindl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Episode 1020 maker workshops
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:49 AM »
Here in Denver we have a shop called the club workshop.  It includes most of what was described: wood shop, metal shop, 3d modeler, engraver and an auto section which includes a lift, tire machine and tire balancer.

You can also store tools and even project cars there for a fee.

It is near I25 and 8th avenue.  http://www.clubworkshop.com/

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: Episode 1020 maker workshops
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 08:00:07 AM »
Anyone know of anything in or around the Indianapolis area? I googled and looks but only found a smaller electrical workshop about 50 miles away.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
The one in Houston. May have to drive up and check it out.

http://www.txrxlabs.org/

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 12:15:34 PM »
Anyone know of anything in or around the Indianapolis area? I googled and looks but only found a smaller electrical workshop about 50 miles away.

http://clubcyberia.org/index.php/Main_Page

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
Google fu failed me, need more training. Awsome! +1 Special K
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

Offline Saint-TyR

• Prepper
  • MSB Member & Oath Keeper
    • My 13 in 13 list!
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 05:41:01 PM »
That was easy... Went to http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Hackerspaces... Then typed in Portsmouth, NH and bingo=http://www.seacoastmakers.com, which then linked to the Maker Shop (http://portcitymakerspace.com).

Thanks for the resource... Now time to check it out and build something.

Stay Safe!
"Don't give up the ship!"               "Live Free or Die"

KC1AXB

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
I guess that when I moved out to the BOL I placed myself in a "geographical oddity" in that all of the hackerspaces are equidistant from my place by several hours.  ::)

Offline zokolo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 10:42:15 AM »
Several years ago (I believe I was living in Atlanta at the time), someone opened a similar concept using a garage.  The guy closed out his gas pumping side and started charging out the use of his bays, lifts, and tools to individuals who wanted to do their own work on their cars.  He had to close after a few months because he could not afford his liability insurance, even though he made the users sign an extensive disclaimer.

I'm wondering how the maker communities discussed in the episode have dealt with the liability issue.  Shop accidents are not uncommon, and even very experienced professionals saw off a fingertip from time to time.  Hopefully, they have found an ironclad disclaimer document for the users to sign that provide sufficient protection.  It would be worth putting the question to someone who has successfully worked to set up one of these organizations.

Jim/Boston
Jim/Boston

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
I found one an hour away in Orlando.  Also one an hour away in Tampa.  Unfortunately when the guest stated it had a machine shop, I was mislead.  It has the COMPUTER controlled machines <groans>.  So I'll still have to buy my MANUAL mill and lathe to do my prototype work.  Then when I'm ready I guess I can head over to one and use their machines to "pump out widgets".  Otherwise it's a great find!  Thanks TSP!
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 02:06:10 PM »
I found one an hour away in Orlando.  Also one an hour away in Tampa.  Unfortunately when the guest stated it had a machine shop, I was mislead.  It has the COMPUTER controlled machines <groans>.  So I'll still have to buy my MANUAL mill and lathe to do my prototype work.  Then when I'm ready I guess I can head over to one and use their machines to "pump out widgets".  Otherwise it's a great find!  Thanks TSP!

Flippy, what is wrong with CNC machines for doing one-off prototypes?  I have found them faster than manual machines.  I have access to several manual Bridgeport-type mills at our local TechShop, and I find myself instead using the Tormach CNC instead, because the process is faster.  I don't have to think about how to make complicated cuts; the software just does it.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 04:34:33 PM »
I wish I had access to either manual or CNC machines!  ;D

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:25 PM »
I don't have any CNC experience.  Not saying I don't want to learn, because I do.  Just that when I "prototype" my work there tends to be a lot of tweaking and modifying to get the angles and tolerances I want.  Things that look great on paper or in software aren't always the best option with real parts (my opinion/experience).  I'm not saying you couldn't do it with the software.  I'm just a "hands on" machinist.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)