Author Topic: long term water storage -- can I 'can' it???  (Read 860 times)

Offline thriving.in.pdx

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
long term water storage -- can I 'can' it???
« on: November 15, 2012, 03:35:45 PM »
Was thinking about how to store water for my family, long term.  FEMA recommends 2 drops of chlorine per 2 liters, and then draining every 6months.  Flushing and replacing the water every 6 months is OK, but I was wondering if there's a way to avoid it.

Question:  why can't I simply 'CAN' water in 32oz (1qt) jars and leave them indefinitely?
Does anyone have any hard facts about this?  Or on how to avoid needing to flush out my water preps every 6months?

Offline Vulcan

• Senior Survivalist
    • My 13-In-13 Page
Re: long term water storage -- can I 'can' it???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 03:39:34 PM »
Never thought of that before, interested in seeing what people say  8)

Offline Herew

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
Jack talked about this a few months back. From what I remember, there is no need to can water. Water does not go bad unless there is something in the water to begin with. If you store bottled water, it can store . It may take on a plastic taste, but it's perfectly fine for drinking.
I personally would rotate my water stock about every 6 months in a normal use and replenish rotation. Chlorine is useful for purifying water but really has no place in storing water long term.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” -Tolkien

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »
Jack talked about this a few months back. From what I remember, there is no need to can water. Water does not go bad unless there is something in the water to begin with. If you store bottled water, it can store . It may take on a plastic taste, but it's perfectly fine for drinking.
I personally would rotate my water stock about every 6 months in a normal use and replenish rotation. Chlorine is useful for purifying water but really has no place in storing water long term.

Yeah, what he said.  I have water over 12 months old with no bleach, and some with bleach.  Can't tell the difference, except for the taste.

I use 2-liter soda bottles given to me by friends/family.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:50 PM »
I used to store it in empty caning jars.  I would empty a jar of peaches, wash jar, and fill with water.  I used the washed canning seal and stored downstairs.  it got rotated at least once a year when I would water the plants before refilling with peaches, etc.  I met one lady who water bathed hers.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • TSP Ultimate Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »
I used to store it in empty caning jars.

Yeppers and use the used lids. I dont do this with mine, but know people who do. Mine is stored in 18 and 50 gallon drums which I refill 2x a year. Just in case I would always try to further purify it whether in my ceramic filter, boiling etc. 

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
    • mousetrap
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 02:37:06 AM »
I pressure can water when I have empty slots left in the canner. I use the resulting sterile water for first aid, yeast propagation experiments, etc. 
Eagle scout --> soldier --> alpha geek
My geekery:  Coleman stove/lanterns, *nix, GPS, homebrewing, backyard chickens
KF5RCA