Author Topic: Disaster Response Team Suggestion Box  (Read 4252 times)

Offline Oniwaban

• Prepper
  • Old enough to know better, young enough to do it.
Disaster Response Team Suggestion Box
« on: November 16, 2012, 09:22:47 AM »
Requesting suggestions from the community for things you would like to see for the TSP-DRT.
More Brainstorming. Any and all ideas welcome.
Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Disaster Response Team Suggestion Box
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 04:12:59 PM »
here's a few for your review;

For the victims;
small teddy bears for small children
warm gloves and knitted hats for everybody
comfort foods easy to distribute
doggy treats, biscuts, chew bones etc
some personal hygiene stuff in travel size, maybe a "kit"
disposable diapers in various sizes
blankets from small child size to adult size
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." Thomas Paine

"Survival is a form of rebellion, living is the punishment" Mr. Smith from the movie "The Way Back"

"Those who would give up freedom for a little security deserve neither" Ben Franklin

Ride hard as you can, rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thouroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "man what a ride!" Author unknown

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 05:51:05 PM »
To be in the zones that Jack described, I think the responders should all be trained in basic first aid and CPR. Regardless of the mission, if the DRT is one front line serving those small areas not served by the large groups, then I think first aid ability would be very good.

Offline Thom

• Survivor
  • WARNING: Not suitable for public consumption
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
4x4 vehicles with chains & tow straps.  Those come in handy when you have to move a tree or other heavy debris off the road.
chain saws
inverters & deep cycle batteries for charging cell phones, laptops, etc.
I'm tired of having to filter the crazy out of the news.

Offline CharlesH

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Hope is a method...
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
It would be useful to develop a relationship with an established organization, or at least gain access to their in depth analysis of the area you are heading into.  Specificially, what is the current state of law enforcement in the specific community being approached (not just an overview of the entire disastor area)?  Other things to key on in the analysis would be: the attitude of the local population (are they desperate to the point of being dangerous?), other groups in the area, services already being supplied, status of utility infrastructure in that area and anticipated times for restoring services, etc.

While the up front analysis will certainly help tailor the type of response you send, the more important reason for doing it in my opinion will be the safety of your team.

Charles
Remember when you leave this earth, you take nothing that you have received – only what you have given: a heart enriched by honest service, love, sacrifice, and courage. - St. Francis of Assisi

Offline Koldsteel

• Prepper
  • Bee Wrangler and Band-Aid passer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 10:02:19 AM »
I couldn't agree more with Charles.

During Katrina, Wildlife and Fisheries came from all over the state with boats to rescue people. They were stopped by either the State Police or National Guard in Baton Rouge. I see a potential problem being prevented from accessing areas in need. A state agency having trouble with access makes me think it would be more so with a private entity.

Experience from an established agency would be very helpful.

Offline nitehawg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:29:45 AM »
All good ideas, please keep them coming!

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2012, 10:32:38 AM »
This my sound funny but give me a chance  ;) I live in a very small town with only four ways out the main two are off of an unheard of highway that is not top priority to be tended to in the winter however in a get out of dodge situation it would be the first place the folks from our nearest big city would think to go and soon would be packed if it is winter well even us locals really have to think long and hard about heading to "town" the other two well one goes up a nasty pass summit level and the other goes down a very dangerous switchback into the woods all are closed off often in the winter.. so if it hit the fan in towns like mine in the winter i can tell you you wont be able to drive a rig in or a motorcycle or a four wheeler your two options are snow machines, horses or snowshoes and in an ice storm I would be on a horse before i got on a snow machine.. but those might be two things needed for winter season disaster for towns like mine that are not on any FEMA list to be helped in any way..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline nutcase

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »
Even though I hate them, SOP's are vital to any operation. It will take a lot to get them organized in a way they are usefull. Their value lies in the structure they provide. If we were to respond to a certain operation, then we would know what is to be expected and from whom. Then other responders in the group and outside the group responders would know what we are doing, or going to do.

For instance if it is a wind event than Sawyers would respond with a certain number of saws, and others would come in the capacity of swampers(labor.) As each event is encountered we would firm up what would be needed, and what is not needed.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
Here in Wisconsin, snow is the biggest mother nature issue. Might good to think of snow storm issues.

4 wheel drive vehicle (so you can get groceries for others)
heat source and blankets, hats, gloves
snow plow or snow blower
hot chocolate....
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:23:51 AM »
During Katrina, Wildlife and Fisheries came from all over the state with boats to rescue people. They were stopped by either the State Police or National Guard in Baton Rouge. I see a potential problem being prevented from accessing areas in need. A state agency having trouble with access makes me think it would be more so with a private entity.

• I was with a volunteer search and rescue dog unit for 15 years. We were well known, went international and we trained weekly up to about 40 hours a month, not including actual searches we went on. What I found over the years, is departments which are supposed to be helping people, get territorial and often want 'all the glory', so they keep you out if they decide they can/want to do it on their own. I think one of the biggest things is EGO's killing people on searches.
  • Don't be another victim. Make sure to train in Search and Rescue (including disaster work), First Aid, CPR and more. Often I backed off searches for me and my dog if it was out of our element, like white water rescue (although I would often work base instead).That said, I would often have a volunteer work under me and take my direction. I welcomes them.
  • Get ID badges even if you are a volunteer group
  • Have communications readily available between unit members, whether that is a Family Radio or cell phones you can easily contact each other.
  • Have backup batteries. Oh yeah.. have back up batteries. Did I mention backup batteries?
  • Multiple light sources
  • Basic tools, such as prybars, screwdrivers, wrench etc
  • Orange chalk, spraypaint or flagging material with a Sharpie pen (list time, date, victims, animals, all clear, your call-sign or initials etc with).
  • A BOB/SAR bag for you with your gear in it for up to 2 weeks
  • Clorox Bleach
  • Extra heavy duty garbage bags
  • I carried a pistol out on searches with me. Not everyone does. But I often worked alone in the mountains. At a minimum you might want to carry Bear Mace. Panicking people do weird things.
  • Map if the area even if it is your local town (waterproof or kept in a gallon sized ziplock). Things look very different if it is flooded, blizzard or buildings have collapsed. You can get turned around and misplaced easy.
  • Dress for the weather. Need hipwaders? Stay out of flood waters with your direct skin. Cold? Multiple layers which easily cant get wet. Hardhats (remember not to go into a collapsed building without the all clear from the building inspector. I can't even do that with my team until we get the OK). Pulling rubble is moderately ok.

That will give you a few more ideas if I got the idea of this thread right.
Cedar

"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Firewheelz

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »
I believe that ICS classes would be extremely beneficial to people that are going to be in these teams.
I have two years in wildland fire service and a total of about 6-7 years in volunteer fire departments. I had taken several ICS classes and did not comprehend exactly how much it was needed until last year when i got down to the wallow fire in New Mexico. It really helped having my knowledge of the command system when going into an environment that had it in place. the nice thing is that many of these classes are available for FREE on the FEMA website http://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.asp?page=all the classes i have include IS-00200 IS-00100 IS-00700. I suggest at the very least to have IS-00100 (ICS 100) intro to Incident Command System.

I know I would love to be apart of a team I really hope this gets up and going ASAP.
I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity than a fire engine ~Kurt Vonnegut~

FIND ME ON
                        ZELLO  =   VFDPRIM  
                     13 SKILLS   =   Firewheels

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 07:31:57 PM »
In watching the news about Superstorm Sandy and how the 'officials' were telling people to check online for updates when most people didn't have electricity, never mind internet access I think a really valuable service would be to have the ability to print information for services for any area we go in to help out, from all agencies. So if the American Red Cross has a shelter set up and food service at 123 Main St and there is water at someother location and which gas stations have gas or what have you, if all this was printed out we could hand this information out. Maybe include phone numbers and such for assistance.

Another idea is if we can identify people in an area who really need medical assistance (meds, oxygen, etc) and pass that info on to the appropriate persons. There are still places in NY without power. (all info from people would be voluntary and only so we could help pass it on to those who can provide assistance)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
Have backup batteries. Oh yeah.. have back up batteries. Did I mention backup batteries?

If it's winter time and you're in an area that has freezing weather, batteries don't last long and will often not even offer a full charge out-of-the-box. . . .  Have backup batteries.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 11:47:32 AM »
I know it's basic but how about map reading and navigational skills outside of the common gps?  A lot of people converging on one spot for relief need to know how to get there.  Just a thought.

Offline Recycler4570

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
Jack mentioned having people meet and possibly do practice drills etc. i think a good way to do that might be to attach it to an existing gathering where multiple listeners already go like the Hoodlum EOTW or Dirttime or similar  events.
This might or may not be workable, but it could be a good way to at least get to know each other.
"Better gear than good sense a traveller cannot carry
A more tedious burden than too much drink
a traveler cannot carry"

Never overlook an opertunity to keep your mouth shut.

Offline paprepper

• Prepper
  • Modern Surthrivalist, Moderator on TSPN Zello
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 09:09:22 AM »
The TSPN moderators and contributors we're in close contact with me here in PA and a young person in NY furniture storm. The DRT team could use us on Zello as outside eyes, or to place phone calls as needed. They could also have their own private ops channel for team members on the ground. Note: Verizon was the most reliable during Sandy.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
    • Blog - That Writer Broad
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
As much as they may not want outside help, I do think it makes sense to attempt to coordinate with local aid groups and ask what is already being done in certain areas.  If nothing else, it avoids waste due to duplicate resources, missing some resouces, or resources that don't make sense in certain situations.

A list of member skills (even odd ones that may not seem important) would be important.  If a lady won't leave her flooded house until someone catches her cat... well, you could either leave her there or catch the cat.  Maybe someone worked with animals and can do that.
Blog - That Writer Broad - http://ThatWriterBroad.com/

Offline Larosa

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 07:54:30 AM »

Offline bamarebl

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 08:29:08 PM »
I believe that ICS classes would be extremely beneficial to people that are going to be in these teams.
I have two years in wildland fire service and a total of about 6-7 years in volunteer fire departments. I had taken several ICS classes and did not comprehend exactly how much it was needed until last year when i got down to the wallow fire in New Mexico. It really helped having my knowledge of the command system when going into an environment that had it in place. the nice thing is that many of these classes are available for FREE on the FEMA website http://training.fema.gov/is/crslist.asp?page=all the classes i have include IS-00200 IS-00100 IS-00700. I suggest at the very least to have IS-00100 (ICS 100) intro to Incident Command System.

I know I would love to be apart of a team I really hope this gets up and going ASAP.

I agree with Firewheelz on this part. In fact, to plug into the Incident Command System at the disaster scene, each member of the group should have IS100 and IS700 at a minimum. Leaders should take IS200 and IS800. I think that the independent study courses from FEMA are very good for those that would be responders. I would suggest, in addition to the "required" courses I listed, that members take any and all IS courses they are interested in. They are free and you take them at your leisure on a computer. http://training.fema.gov/IS/

I also recommend affiliating with VOAD (Volunteer Organizations Active in Disaster). They are a like a "group of groups", that meet with the agencies and organizations to make sure that needs are met, redundancy is minimized (the bad type of redundancy), and all the agencies know each other's strengths and weaknesses. http://www.nvoad.org/ The group can affiliate at the local level, such as a county or regional VOAD, because the National VOAD is supported by the smaller organizations and dues are paid by those smaller VOADs to the National Group. small organization=small dues.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
While in know for my Ham Races group, that it is a bad pass news we have access to. I feel that people the DRT help, would want some news. So what do you do.

Just have a FM radio playing to update people near your car?
Only tell people what has been publicly put out by the media?

Just trying to think beyond the '3 hot meals and a cot to sleep in' mentality.
"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »
Pumps and hoses.  A good quality 1.5"-3" trash pump could be useful in both wildland fire suppression and pumping out flooded basements.

I'd certainly offer up my pumps in a time of need.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline nitehawg

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
Hey everybody,

Please keep all the ideas and experiences comming.  While we aren't replying to each and every one of them, please be assured that we are taking note and studying all of them .

Keep up the good work and keep the ideas flowing.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 04:00:19 PM »
Not sure where to put this, but ultimately, what is the desired capabilities and contributions out of DRT?  Is the focus to aid in rescue, providing shelter, helping homeowners minimize damage before a storm, helping homeowners rebuild, helping people cut through red tape to get food/water/shelter, to provide food/water/shelter for individuals after the storm?

So far I haven't seen a cohesive mission statement that defines what the purpose is, which is leading to a lot of random contributions.  If the goal is rescue assistance, better add airbags, cribbing, K12 saw, Jaws... if the goal is helping provide shelter, better add things like tents, blankets, cots, and heat sources... 

If I'm missing the mission statement somewhere, please point me toward it.  If not, perhaps that should be something to define and stick in a sticky thread.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline decay

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
I have been a team leader for a NET(CERT) team in Portland,OR. I moved to the county and join a CERT team.

I used to be a EMT in NYC and CO. I think all DRT should Get wilderness CFR training. basic FEMA CERT training is not enough
medical training to get around in a disaster.

thanks
from rainy Xmas day!
in OR!
decay

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2012, 02:26:38 PM »
If it's winter time and you're in an area that has freezing weather, batteries don't last long and will often not even offer a full charge out-of-the-box. . . .  Have backup batteries.

I had keep them in my sleeping bag or bra out on the sled dog events or the batteries would die pretty quickly.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Big_Al

• Survivor
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 09:52:53 AM »
If the teams are designed for regionally aligned teams then plan for a 12 person team that has expertise in 2 of the 7 main survival skills, and are competent in the other 5.  The 7 main survival skills are food, water, shelter, energy, security, health/sanitation, and communications.   For instance one team member can be an expert at food and water, another shelter and energy, etc...  The teams can have multiple overlap of expertise based on their region and scenario.

In other words, develop a task organization and chain of leadership, then tell the team member what expertise you want, based on experience. It's not about what a person brings, it's about what gaps exists on a team, and the member being humble enough to adapt to the need, and train for it.

In the mechanized infantry world we use the McDonald land drive thru
concept. We set up a logistics point where everything is on trailers or big trucks. Every mid morning and evening we pull up to the log guys in their trucks that are staged.
Truck 1-we pull up and get our Bradley's fueled off, smile, and wave
Truck 2 we pull up and get fed meals already cooked
Truck 3 we receive ammo and things that go boom
Truck 4 we get medical and health/welfare items
We never left the Bradley, and just pulled through to the next station.

The trick is to set up a command center with the trucks/trailers, then send out the a
12 person team from that.

In sum task organize for region, for most likely events, have a main team that interacts with people, and a support staff to assist using the McDonald land concept.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 10:17:48 AM by Big_Al »
"you can do everything right and still fail, chance and the enemy get a vote"
Old Afghan Proverb
Give an American a fish, he will return the favor by giving you multi million dollar contracts.
Teach an American to fish, he gets jealous that you knew something he did not, and calls in a drone strike and kills you and your family.

Offline juggaloprepper

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2013, 03:34:20 AM »
            My idea is more to help people who want to help, like me. Where I work it is very hard to get excused time off, unexcused time off hurts you. I would need the DRT to be legit enough to show my supervisor and tell them " This is what I am going to do." and have them excuse me.
             I know this is more of a problem with them, but I think a lot of people could be in the same situation.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 09:40:51 AM »
            My idea is more to help people who want to help, like me. Where I work it is very hard to get excused time off, unexcused time off hurts you. I would need the DRT to be legit enough to show my supervisor and tell them " This is what I am going to do." and have them excuse me.
             I know this is more of a problem with them, but I think a lot of people could be in the same situation.
I think that this is going to be the hardest thing to accomplish.  It will always be the employers choice to accept or deny the validity of a organization.  I hear cases from time to time where someone in the reserves is called to duty and upon their return finds that their job was filled and they now don't have one.  If this is happening to our service personal, how is that going to affect Plumber Joe?

In 2003 there was a ice storm in Central Kentucky where I am now.  I've heard horror stories from several people in the Amateur Radio field of events in the Command Center.  I heard that a ham told the Mayor to hush, he was on the radio....  Things like that don't win many points.  A single day call up was dragged out to five days because they wanted faux bragging rights of being there and helpful... and the buffet of food. Several now call ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Services) Always Ready to Eat Something... 

From the little I have heard, most services were back up in just over 24 hours,..  but they kept hanging around for days.  Years later when we had some tornadoes come through, several 'appointed' hams tried to get into the damaged area,.. police and fire refused them because of the abuse in past years.

Don't get me wrong...  I wished I had a 26' box truck and my CDL ...  but I don't have either...  I want to help..  but just don't know what I would be able to do,.. or what my employer would allow...  and I still have bills to pay.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 10:35:37 AM »
 :popcorn:
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf