Author Topic: Show Idea: Reflecting on Now versus Then  (Read 671 times)

Offline ScottK

• Prepper
Show Idea: Reflecting on Now versus Then
« on: November 16, 2012, 04:49:45 PM »
I know that Jack has talked off and on about the new move back to Texas, and the reasons.  But with him finally finding a new place, it would be great to hear a stripped-down type of understanding of what was driving the first move to Arkansas, and what is bringing them back.  He has talked about piece-meal across many episodes, but a focused, concentrated discussion/single episode of it, would be a great teaching tool.

I know he says the move back is mainly the need for family, but understanding why that wasn't a priority a few years ago?  Was it purely being sick of the big city craziness, and swinging the pendulum too far in the other direction? Or razor focus that turned into tunnel vision of living a more 'survival' lifestyle versus a Jack that I feel talks more about inclusiveness since then?  Or is it simply a "Don't know what you got; till it's gone" situation?

I don't remember the episode number, but I remember Jack posting a picture looking out at the mountains in Arkansas while they were making their numerous trips back and forth getting things to Arkansas, and I believe his caption was something along the lines of "Moving and never looking back."  And I think you can make the argument that isn't the case anymore.  Which is fine, but what was that initial ambition effectively to bug-out in hindsight?

Again, I would love if Jack dedicated a show to a stripped-down, 'naked' episode that reflected on his own life story in dealing with such a thing.  Maybe even have Dorothy on the show as a 'kitchen table' conversation to understand the mindset of thinking that drove a lot of the decision making then versus now.  And what we can do to be more objective in determining what type of weighting you would put on line items as everyone is making their lists of goals and dreams.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
Re: Show Idea: Reflecting on Now versus Then
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:41:47 PM »
+1 to this suggestion.  I know the story, but I'd love to hear Jack (and Dorothy) tell the whole thing at once.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »
That would make an excellent show topic.  Personally I feel that our family has a lot in common with Jack and Dorothy.  I remember commuting to work and listening to podcasts (instead of making them), and making the move from the suburbs out to the country ourselves.  We only moved 4 counties away.  Not into another State.  However, I'd imagine there were a lot of the same discussions going on in their home that we went through.  It would be very enlightening to hear about their experiences and would really go a long way toward helping others that are now standing at the crossroads they were at.  I know that we are constantly asked about those decisions in our local group of peers.  The "How's", "Why's", "When's" and other questions and their respective answers are an unknown to many newcomers.

I'm looking forward to listening to this episode if they give it the 'green light' and go forward with it.  Great idea, and an excellent post!

+1 ScottK
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:03:05 PM »
Backwoods_engineer, as I understand it, if you put "+1" in your post you're supposed to give that poster a Karma Point.  Just saying..... ;)
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
Backwoods_engineer, as I understand it, if you put "+1" in your post you're supposed to give that poster a Karma Point.  Just saying..... ;)

I did, thanks for the reminder.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 12:49:40 PM »
No problem.  I was mostly just teasing you.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 10:06:00 PM »
I can definitely do this.  The short answer though is really simple, Dorothy is miserable here.  I ain't, but she is and in the end that is more important to me then what I personally want.

The other side is also I have a house I pay less for then most people pay for their cars.  In 2008-2010 as we "got out of Dodge" we never really knew how successful TSP could become.  I ain't getting rich but I am now making a solid income almost as good as I used to in Corporate America, we can now afford more. 

So she gets to be close to home, I get the land I want and a much cooler place, a place I can build ponds and run training classes at, etc.  I miss our son, I do not really miss everyone else much.  I'll be happy to see him but I have always maintained an apartment down there he live in it but we have our own bedroom.  We can go anytime we what to and see him.  This is good enough for me it is NOT good enough for my wife. 

It really is that simple. 

The economics also work our really good.  I am going from a 500 dollar house payment to a 1500 dollar one but my net is about the same.  What I stop paying is

675 a month on my office
120 a month for my business class internet at the office
100 dollars a month for sat internet at the house
150 a month in Diesel for driving to the office and back each day

In the end we stay roughly par for what we are paying and I get more land, a huge workshop, the ability to run trainings and I get a happy wife.  Also if you heard episode 1030 http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/hands-off-self-sufficient-bol once we settle in I have more plans for the ability to fall back as our new digs are two close to a metromess for my long term comfort. 
Jack Spirko

The Survival Podcast

"If some of our teenage thrill seeker really want to go out and get a thrill.  Let them go up into the north west and let them tangle with a Grizzly bear  or Polar bear or brown bear and get that effect that will cleanse the soul".  ~ Fred Bear