Author Topic: Storing Eggs in Sauerkraut?  (Read 2456 times)

Offline Apricaught

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Storing Eggs in Sauerkraut?
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
I hear that eggs could be stored for months in sauerkraut juice.  Anyone know about this?

Had lunch with my grandmother today, and she started talking about sauerkraut.  She was reminiscing about her childhood and how her mother made and stored the stuff, and then mentioned that they stored eggs through the winter by submerging them in the 'kraut juice.  She was super hazy on the details and I'm not even sure this is what she said, but the idea intrigued me.  Does anyone have information on how this was done and why it works?

Thanks!
and then we decided that all the candidates should wear balloon-animal hats

Thox Spuddy

Re: Storing Eggs in Sauerkraut?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
I've never heard of it but would wonder if she was talking about fresh eggs or hard-boiled. If hard-boiled I would imagine it would be the same as those pickled eggs you find on the shelf in bars in towns of populations hovering around 800. Sauerkraut juice is a preservative due to the salt and the lacto acid in it. But really, I don't know. Try it!

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
I would imagine it would be the same as those pickled eggs you find on the shelf in bars in towns of populations hovering around 800.
Bwhahahahahaha  :clap: that was the best stereo type of small towns I've heard a while..I live in a town of 500..during harvest..hahaha not a pickled egg to be found in our bar..
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline Apricaught

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
I've never heard of it but would wonder if she was talking about fresh eggs or hard-boiled.

Well, she said that her mother used them for baking.  She didn't think that they were ever fried or scrambled, but other than that they were used normally.

I will have to ask her for more specifics.  And my spring garden will furnish some 'kraut and I will make the experiment.  If it works I'll let ya know.  If it doesn't work...
and then we decided that all the candidates should wear balloon-animal hats

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 08:53:38 PM »
What's wrong with pickled eggs? Especially pickled eggs with beets!

(Real small town bars have pig's feet)

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 11:07:52 PM »
What's wrong with pickled eggs? Especially pickled eggs with beets!

(Real small town bars have pig's feet)

and in really small towns gallon jars of pickled turkey gizzards. luv' em! (I'm a 1200 population small town snob).

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
<~~~ Pickles her own eggs and was only joking ;)
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline nkawtg

• Survival Demonstrator
  • NKAWTG
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 02:02:48 PM »
Pickled eggs in Jalapeno Juice...YUM
Psalm 109:8

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
here is an interesting site.
I have heard of water glass before. Navy used it for on board egg storage.

http://www.georgiaeggs.org/pages/preservation.html

LOCK N LOAD !!!!

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:45:28 AM »
I hear that eggs could be stored for months in sauerkraut juice.  Anyone know about this?

Did you know that normal raw eggs in the store can legally be up to 7 months old? I start to store mine in October in the bottom drawer of the fridge in October and they are good through March when the hens start laying again. I have failed to see the need for doing these bizarre and possibly dangerous things for storing my eggs. Other people might want/need to take the change however?

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the sauerkraut juice is preventing air to get into the egg, but by the same token eggs are porus and the sauerkraut juice will be entering the eggs. Extension doesn't recommend water glassing either.

When I crack my eggs after being in the fridge for awhile , I crack them in a cup/jar, not directly into my food. I have never had a bad one for eating, but I have had an egg in an incubator explode and you really do see green fumes. If there are any blood spots in my eggs (even fresh ones straight from the hen), I toss them to the dog as well. But if I can get 5 months for fresh homegrown eggs out of my fridge, I don't think I will try other methods.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:13:34 PM »
Coating with mineral oil works well also. Keep in cool area.

Offline cogentsmile

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Freedom Defined Is Freedom Denied
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 10:46:23 AM »
I've stored baked eggs (I prefer baking to hardboiling) in Bubbie's Dill Pickle for almost three months & they were really good. I'm sure that they would last a lot longer.
A well rounded breakfast, being necessary for a healthy lifestyle, the right of the people to keep and eat eggs, shall not be infringed.

So, who has the right to eat eggs, "the people" or "a well rounded breakfast?"

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 11:09:20 AM »
I've stored baked eggs (I prefer baking to hardboiling) in Bubbie's Dill Pickle for almost three months & they were really good. I'm sure that they would last a lot longer.

HHMMM Baked in the shell eggs.
Have not heard of this.
What temp and time do you use for this?

LOCK N LOAD !!!!

Offline WWalker

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
I did an experiment coating eggs with a little mineral oil and storing them in the refrigerator.  I did this with 100's of fresh eggs.  After almost 2 years I only ended up with one bad egg.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 10:26:09 PM »
  She was super hazy on the details and I'm not even sure this is what she said Thanks!

..........ah, okay, I hate to have to ask this, Gramma was "hazy", you weren't sure what she said.... were you two doing shots?

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 12:14:46 AM »
Bwhahahahahaha  :clap: that was the best stereo type of small towns I've heard a while..I live in a town of 500..during harvest..hahaha not a pickled egg to be found in our bar..

And I live in a town of roughly 27,000 and there is a jar of pickled eggs on the counter of every bar and gas station within 70 miles.

Offline Thomas Johnson

• Prepper
  • Survivalist DeLuxe :-)
    • Survival Guide
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
never seen or heard of this before.. but think i will store my eggs in vegetable oil instead;-)
Full time wilderness guide and freelance writer for ablesurvivor.com
"We are just 9 meals from anarchy"

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 02:40:59 PM »
<~~~ Pickles her own eggs and was only joking ;)

It's hard to find a better tasting, healthy snack, that is so quick to grab and throw in your mouth than a pickled egg.  There is not a jar of pickled anything (Jalapeno's, pickles, beet's, assparagus, sausage, etc) that doesn't get hardboiled eggs dropped in the the juice after the jar is emptied in my house.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline cogentsmile

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Freedom Defined Is Freedom Denied
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
HHMMM Baked in the shell eggs.
Have not heard of this.
What temp and time do you use for this?

Sorry for the late reply, I don't log in much. Here is my Recipe:

Baked Hard Cooked Eggs

Equipment needed:
An Oven
Tongs (to place & remove the eggs)

Ingredients:
12 Eggs

Directions:
Preheat Oven to 325 degrees. Place eggs directly on your oven rack for 30 minutes (depending on the oven). Remove and plunge into an ice water bath the same way you would for hard boiled eggs. Peel and serve.

They can also be refrigerated to an easy to handle temperature & peeled if an ice bath isn't an option.

Tip:  Place a tray on the rack under the rack you are putting the eggs on just in case one cracks & leaks so that it's easier to clean up. this has never happened to me but I keep the tray under the eggs just in case.

A well rounded breakfast, being necessary for a healthy lifestyle, the right of the people to keep and eat eggs, shall not be infringed.

So, who has the right to eat eggs, "the people" or "a well rounded breakfast?"

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 11:11:34 AM »
Sorry for the late reply, I don't log in much. Here is my Recipe:

Baked Hard Cooked Eggs

Equipment needed:
An Oven
Tongs (to place & remove the eggs)

Ingredients:
12 Eggs

Directions:
Preheat Oven to 325 degrees. Place eggs directly on your oven rack for 30 minutes (depending on the oven). Remove and plunge into an ice water bath the same way you would for hard boiled eggs. Peel and serve.

They can also be refrigerated to an easy to handle temperature & peeled if an ice bath isn't an option.

Tip:  Place a tray on the rack under the rack you are putting the eggs on just in case one cracks & leaks so that it's easier to clean up. this has never happened to me but I keep the tray under the eggs just in case.

Thanks.
I will have to try this.

LOCK N LOAD !!!!