Author Topic: Cheap bulk ammo for 10/22  (Read 5819 times)

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
Cheap bulk ammo for 10/22
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:45:37 AM »
Ok   I just got the Ruger 10/22 Take Down.   Now I need to buy some bulk ammo for my preps. Goal is to get at least 5K rounds.  I looked at Cheaper than Dirt and Bulk Ammo and found the following  options at the lowest cost.   Bulk has a MSB discount so I would rather give them my money.   The goal here is to find the lowest cost, reliable ammo for small game hunting and basic defense.  Not the best of the best, not the stuff that you like just cuz.  The goal is to recommend from the list so that new gun owners like me can quickly look at the group's opinions on a few different options and buy the stuff quickly so we can cross this off our preps list.  Thank you in advance to anyone that votes on this poll.

Here is what I found so far.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-0552 
500 rounds   Armscor 40grain  $16.69  or .033 cents per round.
Shipping is $14 to my address in NJ.

http://www.bulkammo.com/bulk-22-lr-ammo-22lr40lrnremthb-500
500 rounds of Remmington Thunderbolt 40grain  $22  or 0.044 per found. 
Shipping is $13 to my address in NJ.

I also found this forum with opinions on 22  ammo.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=188282

Offline romeojuliethotel

• Prepper
  • -. -.... .-. .--- ....
Re: Cheap bulk ammo for 10/22
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:02:19 AM »
I just got the Ruger 10/22 Take Down.

When you attach the barrel on your Takedown does it feel like it is a solid connection, well-seated, with no play?  I am on the verge of buying a Takedown but was questioning the repeated actions of connecting/disconnecting the barrel.  It was review on Guns and Ammo TV last week and because it was Ruger it was highly recommended.  I also am interested to see what replies you get on this thread because I am ready to buy a lot of ammo too.  Have a good one and sorry if I hijacked the thread so soon!

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 10:29:59 AM »
I have had the most luck on cheap 22 ammo by getting 35gr plated hp's from Cabelas or Ganger Mtn.  At cabelas, you're usually looking at 75-80 bucks (on sale) for 4 boxes of 525 rounds and they throw in a free plastic ammo can.  Gander Mtn sometimes wins due to free shipping.  At both places you can often find another coupon to stack on it, like $5 off 50 or something like that.  Alo, if you go to cardpool.com or plastic jungle.com you can buy discounted gift cards for both stores, knocking another 9-10% off the price.

My not be the BEST of the 22 ammo, but I've had 100% reliability out of it personally and no accuracy problems. 

I don't usually by my other ammo there, but for 22 and the stacked deals, I haven't beat them yet.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »
I have NOT had good luck with the Thunderbolt in my 10/22.

For plinking, I usually run the Federal bulk in the blue box from Wally World. For more serious purposes it's CCI Mini-Mag.

Palmetto State Armory runs frequent specials on all sorts of ammo, and every now and then has free shipping. It's worth getting on their email list.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »
One thing I would highly recommended before you buy in bulk; run at least 100 -200 rounds thru the rifle to make sure it will work well.    As a simple rule of thumb; I like Blazer bulk 40 grain round nose as the "go to" bulk ammo.  I stay away from the hyper  velocity stuff due to additional wear and tear on the trigger / bolt (as indicated by the mfg).

Another good option to consider is getting platted ammo if you can find it cheap.  Thunderbolt  never seems to perform well in my pistols; and I have experienced to most failure to fire in my pistol / rifle than any other ammo I have used. 
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Online scoob

• Survivor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
    • Marksmanship and American Heritage
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 11:39:29 AM »
For the cheapest 'accumulation' .22LR, I found Walmart has the best price on the Federal stuff, sales elsewhere notwithstanding. 

Just a tip:  Shop by PPR, or price-per-round.  (I noticed OP listed a few, but for others reading this) With all of the marketing/inflation games being played now, there are 550, 500, 333, and 300-round packs on the shelves.  The first time I saw a 333-pack, one could tell they were trying to make it 'look' cheaper.  At that time, the PPR was higher on the smaller quantity packages.  Last time I picked some up, the smaller package (I think it was 250 or 300/box) was the better PPR.  Keep a calculator handy, it's worth it if you want to save a buck here and there.  I also found that the smaller packs stack better in the .50 cal ammo cans, so if they are cheaper, then bonus!  ;-)

In my 22 ammo preps, I try to have a good blend of bulk stuff and a couple bricks of the deadly accurate match stuff.  My 10/22 loves the Wolf Match, and the holes in the paper don't lie. But at $50+ per box ($.10 PPR) I can't break loose the funds to accumulate much of that.

Stay away from 'Centurion' brand.  I got a great deal on a brick of it that turned out to be the ammo I would gladly give to the enemy.  Lesson learned here...  buy 50 rounds of several different brands/types and see what your shooter likes before you stock up.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 11:44:25 AM »
I like Rem Gold bullets in bulk ammo. Brick and mortar usually has these around $19 bulk box.

My 10/22 shoots great with gold bullets, thunderbolts, Federal bulk, winchester bulk - basically anything I put in it.

I would look in stores - you'd have to get a great deal to make up the difference in shipping costs. I see you are in NJ - maybe make a trip to PA / DE.

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »
I've given up on the cheap bulk 22 ammo and only get CCI branded stuff.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.  Winston Churchill

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Offline bdhutier

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
I haven't found anyone who can beat WalMart by the box.  I guess I could order it if I bought $500 of it, but $17 at a time still adds up quickly.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 09:16:57 PM »
I shoot quite a bit of cci blazer... so that means a little bit of it goes into storage. Buy half shoot half: copy ammo-ing is a good practice.

The stuff will last a long time. Here's a test with it in water http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=20705.msg223614#msg223614

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »
Dicks sporting  has a bogo on ammo today black Friday. So I bought  3000 rounds of Loose 22lr for about 3 cents per round. Then I rememmberrd. That the ramsey outdoor next door mathes their prices so I walked in and bought 3000 more rounds at the same price. I'm set on ammo for a while now.   I wad tempted to just buy other ammo for shot guns to use as barter in the future.

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
Just as a general ammo/gun buying rule, I always go to www.gun-deals.com and check out how has the lowest cost ammo/guns/accessories - with the shipping factored in.  It is user generated listings, so it might miss something from time to time, but overall usually very reliable.  Great for us Cruffler's to quickly find eligible weapons as well.
People with guns but no food will discover that people with food have guns too.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 11:33:25 AM »
When you attach the barrel on your Takedown does it feel like it is a solid connection, well-seated, with no play?  I am on the verge of buying a Takedown but was questioning the repeated actions of connecting/disconnecting the barrel.  It was review on Guns and Ammo TV last week and because it was Ruger it was highly recommended.  I also am interested to see what replies you get on this thread because I am ready to buy a lot of ammo too.  Have a good one and sorry if I hijacked the thread so soon!

I used my 10/22 take-down at an Appleseed event, and my wife used her run of the mill 10/22.  We noticed no differences.  The TD version has an easy adjustment for barrel snugness.

To the OP's question.  Because of the relatively low cost of 22 bulk ammo, by the time you do shipping, you may not save as much as you would just going into an LGS.  I shop a 1/2 dozen stores around here and going in to pick a brick of 22 is just a nice excuse to stop in and see what else they have going on.  Obviously, your mileage may vary. YMMV

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 10:06:42 PM »
I have a few of the federal Bulk Pack 525 ones, their okay but I sure wish you could buy standard velocity ammo in bulk...I need to shoot that in my suppressed 10/22. I love the CCI brand, best by far in my experience with reliability and accuracy for the money...on the bulk stuff you can find lot's of variation when shooting groups..so not so great for squirrel hunting...but if your just plinking or shooting zombies it will work fine.
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 01:58:36 AM »
I ran an accuracy test of several brands of .22LR through my scoped 10/22 a couple of weeks ago.  Blazer and CCI Mini-mags were both very consistent and grouped five shots in 1 1/4"for me at 50 yds.  I was impressed that the Blazer did as well as the Mini-mags and better than almost everything else.  This was great news because both Blazer and Mini-mags are the only brands 100% reliable in every .22LR I;ve tried: 10/22, Marlin 60, Ruger Standard, MkII and MkIII, and an Advantage Arms .22LR conversion for Glock. Since then I have bought four more 525 rd boxes of it at the local discount store for $18/box.

The Remington Golden Bullets and Thunderbolts were by far the worse.  This did not surprise me as I can easily twist and wobble the bullets in the case of both brands.  Very disappointing.

The Federal Gold Match was the most accurate for me grouping five shots in 7/8" at 50 yds.  Federal Lightning grouped 1 3/4", Winchester Wildcat grouped about 2 1/4" and The Remington brands were grouping around 3" at 50 yds.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 02:29:56 AM »
Another thumbs-up on Blazer~picked some up when I did an ammo test on my Ruger MkII and it shot amazingly well.  Don't buy the cheapest .22 ammo, test and buy the 2-3 that shoots the best as they go on sale.
USMC vet

Offline Rock Deer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rock Deer
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »
Better to be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Type 7 FFL manufacturer of long distance rifles.

Offline trav

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 05:43:13 AM »
I have NOT had good luck with the Thunderbolt in my 10/22.

For plinking, I usually run the Federal bulk in the blue box from Wally World. For more serious purposes it's CCI Mini-Mag.

Palmetto State Armory runs frequent specials on all sorts of ammo, and every now and then has free shipping. It's worth getting on their email list.

I agree. Thunderbolt is awful.

Offline kckndrgn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »

As others have said, the connect is solid.  I have one, and I've been using it squirrel hunting this year.  Been dead on accurate, no matter the ammunition used.

I use Rem Golden and Federal Bulk bullets, don't recall having any problems with them.

Online Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »
I've had mixed results with "Golden Bullets" and the Winchester bricks.  Too many FTF, and FTE.  When you consider a competing brand at the same price functions better, I see no reason to waste my time on even 0.5% failures.

• Walmart bulk Federal functions fine, and is the cheapest that functions reliably for me
  • Federal champion bulk is better, and is my goto bulk when I can get it for ~$16 - $19 for a 525 box
  • CCI mini-mags and other CCI variants are by far the best shooting that I can regularly find in stock locally

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 08:59:19 PM »
I tested every brand of cheap 22 ammo in my area and I like Federal the best. Federal has more power and functions better in a lot of semi-autos better because of it. I didn't test everything just what I could get. A long time ago there was a sale at a local gun store on bricks of the CCI Blazer for $5. Never seen it that cheap in my lifetime, probably never will again. Maybe it was a bad batch but the stuff wasn't the best, and I don't buy it anymore. I use it in my bolt actions now and the one semi-auto that can eat it. Took a long time but I only have one brick left, bought ten bricks.
www.JLMissouri.com      Lewis Family Farm

Offline Winston Smith

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 10:24:42 PM »
Dicks sporting  has a bogo on ammo today black Friday. So I bought  3000 rounds of Loose 22lr for about 3 cents per round. Then I rememmberrd. That the ramsey outdoor next door mathes their prices so I walked in and bought 3000 more rounds at the same price. I'm set on ammo for a while now.   I wad tempted to just buy other ammo for shot guns to use as barter in the future.

Dick's has great deals on ammo; if you get their credit card, they give you double reward points and send you a bunch of coupons for additional discounts/bonuses(which can be combined). 

I got 1,000 rounds of Win Dynapoint 44.gr jacketed .22 there for $43.94.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 11:31:19 PM »
I guess I've been lucky but I don't recall EVER having a problem with any ammo I've used in my Remington bolt or 10/22's.  That said I generally buy Federal or CCI.  I never specifically go looking to buy it, nor do I ever buy it online and pay shipping.  I simply have a personal rule, if I happen to see it on sale (while visiting a store or see it in a flyer) for under $15 I buy one brick.  It happens enough that I have a butt wad of it in storage and sometimes question my personal rule, but I stick with it.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
I picked up two ammo cans from Cabelas with 2100 rounds of Federal pre can for about .03 a round.
I noticed BiMart this week had the same price roughly for Fedral at about $15.95 per box of 525. I need to run down and pick up a few boxes to fill up the ammo cans.

I'd like to have 5000 or more on hand all the time.

The Federal seems to work fine in the 10/22 TD and the LCR 22.
--------------------------

Scott

"Chance favors the prepared mind."  Louis Pasteur
TSP Members Support Brigade

Offline Mo

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 04:26:42 PM »
The Federal runs well in my 10/22 TD. 

Surprisingly the Remington Golden bullet is the most accurate in ONE of my 10/22 TD's.  It is the only rifle that shoots them well that I have.  I still get 2-4 duds per 500 but it does shoot well.  The velocity out of that TD with the Rem is 1160 fps.  The Federals get about 25 fps more.

Online Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
I just grabbed the last 4 bricks of Federal champion in the store.  $16.99 a piece.  Hard to get for that price anyone.

Store was nuts with people buying ammo this morning...

Offline Pchitti

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »

Offline Squirrelhead

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2013, 06:31:06 PM »
I finally found a 10/22 takedown! Of course now I can't find any ammo for it. lol I have a line on some that I can get next week. Hopefully I come across a few bx-25 magazines too.

Offline TooMuchGlass

• Survivor
  • Learner
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2013, 07:43:09 PM »
Squirrelhead- what'd you pay for it, if you don't mind me asking?

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »
I found Walmart boxes/bricks to be the best price.  The Remington brand has a failure rate that ranges from 2%-8%.  Federal is all I will buy, or rather, I will not buy remington. In normal times, but I would buy them today and consider the failures good drills.  Federal works well enough for playing Bullseye out of my Buckmark.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.