Author Topic: Whats a good price on a AR?  (Read 855 times)

Offline yodal

• Survivor
Whats a good price on a AR?
« on: November 18, 2012, 10:16:41 AM »
I met a guy last night that tells me he can sell me an AR for $800.
He was kind of a squirrley fellow, but he knows his guns!
He told me that he gets all the parts for the gun and sells it as a kit.
He says, if you assemble the gun, it is totally legal.
Any thoughts on this?
“Man can live about forty days without food, about three days without water, about eight minutes without air, but only for one second without hope”

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: Whats a good price on a AR?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »
It wouldn't be too tough to find one assembled for $800. . .  Any time I hear "squirrly", "assembly", "totally legal" in a short question like this, I get concerned.

It would depend on how much you "trust" this guy, that he is offering you a "quality" kit for the $800 he's asking.  Is he offering to loan you the tools needed to put this "kit" together?
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
You can buy one assembled at Wal Mart for $800

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »
A good price depends on what you want in the rifle - you can get your foot into the ar-15 world for less.  While I don't think you can save much money going the parts are parts route; you do skip out on the 10% Federal tax from assembling (not making) your own.  A simple route would be to go to a Walmart store and see what what they offer.  I sort of like the Colt over the Bushmaster but that's my perspective.

One way to spread out the shock to the budget is to buy a good quality lower; and assembled upper by the same mfg.  When the budget allows, you can buy the parts for the lower and assemble it yourself - or have someone who can. 

My first "completed" AR-15 I went to the local Fun store and bought a nice lower, and about 6 months later I found the upper I wanted and it was that easy to get a fully functioning rifle.  Little did I know that the upper I wanted (heavy barrel, very good long range) was not the one I should have picked up (16" barrel, faster twist rate).  So about a year later I found the "perfect" upper and just popped the pins on the heavy weight and now I have a good light weight rifle that's good for overall plinking and worked fine at the Project Appleseed shoot.

So a good price range for parts kit - about 600 - 900 dollars.  Very much more you would often be better buying a fully assembled rifle (or assembled rifle upper / lower).     The real good thing about building your own rifle is getting just the right parts.  The real bad thing, it may take a few rifle builds before you know just what the right parts are for you and what you plan on using it.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 02:20:22 PM »
It wouldn't be too tough to find one assembled for $800. . . Any time I hear "squirrly", "assembly", "totally legal" in a short question like this, I get concerned.

It would depend on how much you "trust" this guy, that he is offering you a "quality" kit for the $800 he's asking.  Is he offering to loan you the tools needed to put this "kit" together?

Absolutely.

Prices on ARs have gone down, way down, from where they were 4 yrs. ago. There is a glut of them on the market and so many manufacturers. Buy quality, buy once (unless you are inclined to accumulate firearms  ;) ). I was stunned recently to discover Wal-Mart selling Colt 6920s for about 300 less than I paid 5 yrs. ago. at a near wholesale price.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Here in Central Texas yo can get a Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 Sport for just over $600. 

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 07:06:24 PM »
At the available prices from reputable makers like Colts and S&W, from big box outlets, there is no need to go parts or "I met a guy..." If you want better than mil-spec (and know what that means, that price has come down too. If you know what you are doing and have the right tools, you can build a high end rifle for what Bushmaster used to charge. You also know why you want what you want.

Muddyboots
Communication is a Survival Skill.

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased!
Thus do we refute entropy.
-also-
It is better to be poor in a healthy economy than rich in a dying economy!
 -S. Robinson

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 09:17:02 PM »
I agree with Muddyboots, but with exceptions.  If you're looking for something really specific in an AR, like I was, you may have to assemble it from parts or sub-assemblies.  For example, I wanted the lightest-weight 5.56 I could make without resorting to NFA or expensive metals.  So, I bought a New Frontiers polymer lower, lightweight 3-position stock, and a lightweight flat-top carbine upper.  I am going to replace the hand guard on the upper with a lighter-weight one.  I probably couldn't easily find a carbine with all these features in my price range.  But by shopping around, I'm getting all that done for under $600.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
I agree with Muddyboots, but with exceptions.  If you're looking for something really specific in an AR, like I was, you may have to assemble it from parts or sub-assemblies.  For example, I wanted the lightest-weight 5.56 I could make without resorting to NFA or expensive metals.  So, I bought a New Frontiers polymer lower, lightweight 3-position stock, and a lightweight flat-top carbine upper.  I am going to replace the hand guard on the upper with a lighter-weight one.  I probably couldn't easily find a carbine with all these features in my price range.  But by shopping around, I'm getting all that done for under $600.

Interesting . . . .  You'll have to fill is in with better detail (and pic's) when you get it completed.  And let us now how it does at the range too.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 12:36:35 PM »
Will do, Nelson.  Lower is coming in this week, and I am also ordering the upper this week.  I was waiting for our local gun show this weekend to see if I could find any deals on uppers.  TOTAL BUST.  They are using the fear of an Obama gun ban to jack prices up.  I can buy an upper from MidwayUSA SHIPPED for about $50 less than I can buy its equivalent at the gun show (where I have to pay sales tax).

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »
I agree with you guys on the specialty ARs. I felt that it was beyond the scope of the OP. I'm building a specialized rifle myself right now, It is based around a very expensive custom match barrel at 26". Having come to the unfortunate realization that I would need to go that particular route to get my desired results, of course I'm going to parts build. In my case it isn't really a money saver but a performance requirement. I also have the tools and experience to do it myself.

Do tell us about that UL-AR project!

Muddyboots
Communication is a Survival Skill.

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased!
Thus do we refute entropy.
-also-
It is better to be poor in a healthy economy than rich in a dying economy!
 -S. Robinson

Offline SwitchThrottle

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »
Here in Central Texas yo can get a Smith & Wesson M&P AR-15 Sport for just over $600.

Here in CT, the same gun is selling for $650.  Until recently the non-sport model was selling for $750.