Author Topic: Henry Survival AR-7 or Ruger 10/22  (Read 1305 times)

Offline thefuzz1290

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Henry Survival AR-7 or Ruger 10/22
« on: November 18, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
The .22 rifle is next on my list to purchase in the next few weeks. My wife, not being a gun person, will not know about this purchase. Its my personal spending money, so she can't get too angry lol. That being said, I kinda liked the Henry AR-7 because I'll be able to store it easier, but then again the Ruger is proven. I'm leaning towards the AR-7...any thoughts?

Offline Muddyboots

• Danger: Do Not Inflate
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Hoodlum's Ambassador
    • Hood's Woods- the Hoodlums Forum
Re: Henry Survival AR-7 or Ruger 10/22
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »
Though some of us have fired tens of thousands of rounds through Henry, Charter Arms and Armalite AR-7s, it really isn't designed as a frequently used firearm. It is awkward and takes a little getting used to. If you want to shoot a lot, enjoy it and improve your technique, get a 10/22 or something similar. If you want a truck bag survival rifle, get the AR-7

HTH!

Muddyboots
Communication is a Survival Skill.

Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased!
Thus do we refute entropy.
-also-
It is better to be poor in a healthy economy than rich in a dying economy!
 -S. Robinson

Offline Saint-TyR

• Prepper
  • MSB Member & Oath Keeper
    • My 13 in 13 list!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:04:51 PM »
Though some of us have fired tens of thousands of rounds through Henry, Charter Arms and Armalite AR-7s, it really isn't designed as a frequently used firearm. It is awkward and takes a little getting used to. If you want to shoot a lot, enjoy it and improve your technique, get a 10/22 or something similar. If you want a truck bag survival rifle, get the AR-7

I would agree! I have the AR-7 and like it a lot for traveling in a pack with shooting it once and a while. But the 10/22 is a solid rifle and very easy to use with high cap mags. Plus they make a take down version of the 10/22 that you can pack away.

I would try before you buy! Or buy them both.

Stay safe!
"Don't give up the ship!"               "Live Free or Die"

KC1AXB

Offline Taylor3006

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:29:56 PM »
I own both and the Ruger is by far the superior rifle.
"Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a FREEDOM because he might abuse it?"    Harlan Carter

Offline thefuzz1290

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:50:40 PM »
I like the Takedown 10/22, but its $100 or so out of my price range. Trying to buy ammo/guns/food/water without getting caught is tough. If I can find a Takedown at a good price I would definitely go for that, but I doubt that will happen these days.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
A regular 10/22 with the 16 inch barrel is still some what compact. You can usually find a 10/22 for 150 to 180 used.

Offline microdevil45

• Survivor
  • Never Give Up...
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:18:21 PM »
I vote for the 10/22 regular or takedown don't matter that is a preference for you but 10-22 all the way.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Crusty Old Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
By all means, go for the 10-22. It is an excellent general purpose rifle that can be used out of the box for training, small game hunting and [if you subscribe to the "beats a sharp stick" school] self defense. It is a multi-generational gun with minimal care, and can be depended on in tough circumstances.

Additionally, it looks like a .22 rifle should look, a classic. This might help to win your wife over, or at least more so than something with an 'AR' designation that comes in a box marked 'SURVIVAL RIFLE'. By the way, it might not be such a good idea to try to hide it from here. When she finds it, it will put a big ding in the relationship/trust factor. Better you should bring it home and brag to her about what a great DEAL you got, and she knows that you wanted one, and that it will be put away safely until you TWO go shooting. Then duck. Think about the arguments she will bring up, and what the logical counter arguments are - and don't weave some fantastic TEOTWAWKI scenario - fighting off mutant zombies generally doesn't cut it, neither does the threat of government takeover, etc. Remember that when - or if - the S hits the Fan, that trust between you will be worth far more than any firearm.

The AR-7, on the other hand, is a special-purpose gun intended to provide small game or protection for the short time you are waiting for rescue. It is accurate enough and rugged enough for its intended purposes, but that's about it. Unless you do a lot of flying in the bush or engage in some other activity that would place a priority on light weight and compactness, you will be better served by a 10-22 in any of its variations.

BTW, I've been married over 40 years and have only bought one gun on my own. When I got home, the first thing I did was show it to the Mrs., along with a detailed explanation as to the circumstances of the purchase. She threw a bitch-fit to put it mildly, then agreed with me. And then wanted to go shoot it. Usually, we went gun shopping together.

soupbone
“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.”  ----- Benj. Franklin

Offline thefuzz1290

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 08:33:39 PM »
Thanks...I just got an SKS for a steal ($170) and I think I've found a way to break the purchase to her. I've mentioned I've wanted them in the past and she always says, "You have 2 (handguns), why do you need a rifle?" I just pissed her off, so I'm gonna wait a week or so before I break that purchase to her lol.

I found a 10/22 for a good price ($100) too from a friend, so I'll probably go with that.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
outstanding deal.

Offline SpareMag

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 02:41:26 AM »
The very first rifle I ever fired (and fired a lot over the course of four years) was a Charter Arms AR-7 Explorer.  Even with the crude sight it shot very well.  Oddly enough I've never fired the ubiquitous 10-22 though I'd like to have one someday.  Thing is the stock is so small (I'm a fairly tall/big guy) it feels like a kid-sized rifle so I would have to do something about that.  Only .22 rifle I ever owned was a 77-22 back in the 80/s (I "make do" with my T/C 10" and Ruger MkII bull barrel ;) )

Anyhow, the AR-7 held up very well for two outlaw high-school guys back in the 70/s-80/s and if the quality is the same no reason not to expect same now.  It was owned by a friend who liked it so much he eventually got the pistol version (Charter Arms Explorer II) looked like a broomhandle mauser thing but it was a blast too and took same magazines.

..the good ol' days ;) firing AR-7/s during the day and reading Johnstone/Ahern survival novels at night...
USMC vet

Offline Economan

• Prepper
  • Rational Individual, Economist
    • The New American Underground
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »
I have a 10/22 with a folding foregrip and folding stock.  It's SUPER compact, lightweight, and reliable.  I have two 25rd clips and a 50rd drum, and those are easy to carry as well.  I'm am 100% into the 10/22.
Anti-statist, Economist, Dad

Check out my blog! http://newamericanunderground.wordpress.com