Photobucket

Author Topic: Little house heating (no plumbing) with electrical  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
Little house heating (no plumbing) with electrical
« on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:26 PM »
I remember watching permies video on house heating. I'm wondering about a SMALL house. Night time would be in a mummy bag, so no power needed them. Hopefully would use a remote control to "fire up" the space heater right before getting out of bed.

I wouldn't need conduction like in the permies video for on the computer/sitting in the chair. Of course I'd like to tie this into the ideas in the book Early Retirement Extreme and would like to have a heating bill as low as possible.

Will a hair dryer draw have less cost to run then a space heater? I thought I saw a documentary on bums who had a hair dryer to heat a small shelter.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Little house heating (no plumbing) with electrical
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:12 PM »
Generally a hair drier and space heater are the same wattage, 1,500w, because that's about the most you want to pull on a single outlet.

If you have propane there are a number of good options, both permanent and temporary.  Without, you might just want to mount a single electric baseboard and put it on a timer or wireless remote.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
Thanks Endurance. I don't have propane, I do have a little propane heater I take to the deer blind. I was thinking electrical would be safer and easier, I'm not sure about less expensive.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
In that case you might consider something like this with something like this.

Lots of options, but I, too, would prefer something either wall mounted or low temperature, like an oil-filled radiant heater over your typical space heater that can easily have the blankets kicked over it, etc.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:37 PM »
Very nice! I was looking at those remote control set ups while  at home depot.

What about a space heater mounted off the wall high up where it's not in the way? ( i already have a space heater right now.

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
Well, hot air rises, so you still want it low, but you might be able to build a cubby hole for it or something.  My only concern is they get moves somewhere dumb when they're off, come on in the middle of the night, and they're facing a wall or pile of clothes or something and the next thing you know, you have a disaster.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »
True true. That's why I'm thinking a wall bracket out of the way might be best. Also, with dry wall over the rafters, I don't think it would take long to fill the small space with hot air.

Offline ygodnik

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »
By the way Scottman, don't let anyone sell you on a "more efficient" electrical heater. They all convert 99.9% plus of the electricity to heat, and that is it.  They may get the heat to you a little better (like an electric blanket), but they can't convert any more than all of the electricity to heat.  The only thing that gets around this is a heat pump, but the price for those goes up quickly.

Endurance has some very good points about mounting things low and being aware of fire hazards. You know how you use the space and you will know best how to optimize.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:23:31 PM »
??? What about a small or micro (depending on the size of the abode) Outdoor Wood Furnace??? You could make your own if you weld.

Then there is http://www.shopforpuppy.com/product_p/cr-2550.htm?click=2 for $600

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:53:26 PM »
I will look at those tomorrow! Thanks !

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »
Then there is http://www.shopforpuppy.com/product_p/cr-2550.htm?click=2 for $600

Cedar
That's only 1,800 BTUs.  A 1500 watt space heater puts out about 5200 BTUs.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »
That's only 1,800 BTUs.  A 1500 watt space heater puts out about 5200 BTUs.

True, but I didn't know his defination of LITTLE  ;)

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 03:40:03 PM »
True, but I didn't know his defination of LITTLE  ;)

Cedar
Something I recently found BTUs/Square Foot.

By that measure, I'm short by about 13,000 btus in my house, which sounds about right.  I hate inept HVAC contractors. ::)

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »
I'm sure you have figured this out already but add as much insulation as possible...then add more and more...maybe a mylar type material as well...but keep in mind you will need to have X air changes to provide oxygen...that's the kicker. I helped build a 180sq ft hunting shack for a friend, it was basically hay bales with a little wood/tin sheeting. It has an old wood stove in there and believe when i tell you one armful of wood is enough for the winter nights in E.Wa where it frequently dropped in the single digits when hunting last year.

Simple as heat in/out...the human body alone give's off roughly 400-500Btu's Hr...a little less when sleeping and a little more when active.
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:19 PM »
I like the idea of fire as well.  Look up the Kimberly Wood Stove. It was designed for use in boats, but it also has turned out to be useful in rvs and cabins.  It produces up to 40,000 BTUs.  You can burn any kind of biomass cleanly.

Side benefit - You can easily rig it to produce electricity.

The initial cost is high though.  It looks like they run approx. $4,000.

www.unforgettablefirellc.com

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2012, 03:51:51 PM »
Neat!

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »
it's about 8x 8