Author Topic: Question about 'hot' packing  (Read 610 times)

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
Question about 'hot' packing
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:30 AM »
I know that if I am processing a hot soup/stock/whatever I needmy jars to be hot as I am filling them but if the soup/stock/whatever is no longer hot do I need to packinto hot jars? Should I bring the food back up to temperature before packing?

I am asking this because I often do large batches and the first batch is hot so I 'hot' pack. But then the second batch, the food is no longer 'hot.'

If the second batch is just room temp or colder can I just pack into room temperature jars?

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Question about 'hot' packing
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:16:33 PM »
You should bring the food back up to temperature. The times for processing will be wrong ...

That said.. the reason you need hot jars for hot food is so they do not crack. And so that the food doesnt cool off as much when you put it in the pressure canner.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »
How hot do the jars have to be? I have read conflicting things. Some books say to fill with hot water. Someone told me the water has to boil. Some have said that heating them up in the dishwasher is fine too. I'm so confused. Of course I haven't died yet so I haven't committed any major errors, yet.

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »
How hot do the jars have to be? I have read conflicting things. Some books say to fill with hot water. Someone told me the water has to boil. Some have said that heating them up in the dishwasher is fine too. I'm so confused. Of course I haven't died yet so I haven't committed any major errors, yet.

I do the dishwasher. I used to boil the jars, but I could only get 6 jars at a time that way.  I run them through the washer and keep it hot and wet in there.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline FrugalFannie

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Our new diesel!
    • ITS Personal Training
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:36:55 PM »
Thanks Cedar. I guess I was worrying too much. My jars stay at least that hot.