Author Topic: Canning Fresh Black beans  (Read 1637 times)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Canning Fresh Black beans
« on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:56 PM »
My friend Cedar (everyones friend) gave me a 50# box of fresh packed black beans (not dried) over the weekend and when I went to can them their was a bit of confusion as to what instructions I should use.  I've got two canning books, a Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving- 100th Anniversary Edition and a Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning, Freezing & Dehydrating - Volume 1.  Both books were very clear as to how to can dried beans, but not so clear on fresh.  They both had instruction for Lima and Butter beans that were fresh but it was a little unclear if other fresh beans would fall under this as well (I was confused since it only listed the two).

Common sense told me that the Lima bean instruction would work, but I wanted to be sure.  So I called our Oregon State Food Preservation Hotline (800-354-7319).  I was told that the instructions I used (yes, I canned them before calling :o)were perfect.  So to help others have an easier time than I did to breath easy, here are the instructions I used. . . .

Wash and drain beans.  Pack beans loosely in to hot jars, leaving 1" headspace.  Do not press or shake down.  Add 1/2 tsp salt to each pint (I used a heaping tsp of the beef bouillon that Cedar gave me), 1 tsp to each quart, if desired.  Ladle boiling water over beans, leaving 1" headspace.  Remove air bubbles.  Adjust 2-piece caps.  Process pints 40 minutes, quarts 50 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

I got 40 pints, and what was left (guessing about another 15-20 pints worth, I gave to my grandmother to can.  Yep Grandmother, she's 87 years old and thinks my poop don't stink cause I can and help her can.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 07:18:30 PM by nelson96 »
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline FromScratchWoman

• Survivalist Mentor
  • "Never tasted store bought meat until I was 17"
    • Cold Creek Homestead
Re: Canning Fresh Black beans
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
Thanks for sharing! :)
"We are buried beneath the weight of information, which is being confused with knowledge; quantity is being confused with abundance and wealth with happiness.

We are monkeys with money and guns."
-Tom Waits

http://www.youtube.com/ColdCreekHomestead
Lot's of shotty taken videos on here but they get a point across now and then!

www.ColdCreekHomestead.com
AKC Great Pyrennes Livestock Guardians
Ancona Ducks
Splash Jersey Giant chickens
And so much more!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cold-Creek-Homestead/198375243588171
This is my above sights Facebook page, Lots of useless info but if you look hard enough ya may like us ;)

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »
Shhhhhh.. I gave you organic vegetable boullion (with a tidge of jalepeno in it).

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:37:28 PM »
Shhhhhh.. I gave you organic vegetable boullion (with a tidge of jalepeno in it).

Cedar

I said beef didn't I, oops.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 08:48:45 PM »
And I am canning my lot tonight and tomorrow am. Mine are still a bit frozen in the middle. I am scrounging for jars.

Cedar

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 01:16:16 AM »
Where does one come across fresh black beans?

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
I belong to a food salvage organization. I brought home 150 pounds organic black beans. I get mass amounts of odd things like this occasionally and if I think someone might like them and I wont be using them all, I pass them around.

Cedar

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
Do they cook in the mason jar as you are canning them?  Of do you pre-cook?

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 11:11:52 AM »
Is there a recipe for 'organic vegetable boullion with a hint of jalapeno in it'?  :)

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 11:37:22 AM »
Is there a recipe for 'organic vegetable boullion with a hint of jalapeno in it'?  :)

It was salvage just like the beans. You could easily make your own at home, but maybe not to the tune of 200 pounds like I found.

Here is a couple recipes. Dehydrate and powder. I have not tried these two top ones out personally, but I would give them a go.

Recipe I
5 ounces / 150 g leeks, sliced and well-washed
7 ounces / 200g fennel bulb, chopped
7 ounces / 200g carrot, well scrubbed and chopped
3.5 ounces / 100 g celery
3.5 ounces / 100g celery root (celeriac), peeled and chopped
1 ounce / 30g sun-dried tomatoes
3.5 ounces / 100g shallots, peeled
3 medium garlic cloves
9 ounces / 250g fine grain sea salt
1.5 ounces / 40 g flat-leaf parsley, loosely chopped
2 ounces / 60g cilantro (coriander), loosely chopped

Recipe II
¾ c   nutritional yeast
1/3 c   sea salt
¼ c   dried mushrooms
¼ c   dried mixed vegetables
1 ½ tbsp   onion powder
1 tbsp   garlic powder
2 tsp   dried parsley
1 tsp   celery seed
1 tsp   dried dill
1 tsp   dried lemon zest
1 tsp   dried thyme
1 tsp   dried marjoram

Grind up in a blender. Store in a closed container in a cool, dry place. Use 1 teaspoon per one cup water to make 1 cup broth.

My vegetable powder I have used for years.
Anything which is the small odds and ends from the garden that I dehydrate up. Dry, blend and powder. It is never the same way twice.

Cedar

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Very cool!  Thanks!  I'll have to try it!

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 11:48:44 AM »
Do they cook in the mason jar as you are canning them?  Of do you pre-cook?

Like other things that are pressure canned, yes.  You can eat them right out of the jar.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline d9inger

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 05:10:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, the Blue Book and Google don't know much about fresh black beans and canning.

Ever canned sprouted black beans?

Dave

Our attitude determines our altitude.
Paul H. Dunn (1924 - 1998)

My friend Cedar (everyones friend) gave me a 50# box of fresh packed black beans (not dried) over the weekend and when I went to can them their was a bit of confusion as to what instructions I should use.  I've got two canning books, a Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving- 100th Anniversary Edition and a Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning, Freezing & Dehydrating - Volume 1.  Both books were very clear as to how to can dried beans, but not so clear on fresh.  They both had instruction for Lima and Butter beans that were fresh but it was a little unclear if other fresh beans would fall under this as well (I was confused since it only listed the two).

Common sense told me that the Lima bean instruction would work, but I wanted to be sure.  So I called our Oregon State Food Preservation Hotline (800-354-7319).  I was told that the instructions I used (yes, I canned them before calling :o)were perfect.  So to help others have an easier time than I did to breath easy, here are the instructions I used. . . .

Wash and drain beans.  Pack beans loosely in to hot jars, leaving 1" headspace.  Do not press or shake down.  Add 1/2 tsp salt to each pint (I used a heaping tsp of the beef bouillon that Cedar gave me), 1 tsp to each quart, if desired.  Ladle boiling water over beans, leaving 1" headspace.  Remove air bubbles.  Adjust 2-piece caps.  Process pints 40 minutes, quarts 50 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.

I got 40 pints, and what was left (guessing about another 15-20 pints worth, I gave to my grandmother to can.  Yep Grandmother, she's 87 years old and thinks my poop don't stink cause I can and help her can.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »
Ever canned sprouted black beans?

Nope, but canning fresh tuna as I'm typing this.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley