Author Topic: Natural cure for Psoriasis?  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Built4life

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Natural cure for Psoriasis?
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:03:10 AM »
Just wondering if anyone's got a Good natural way of healing this - my hands are very dry and cracking (think its psoriasis, as its just patches of dry cracking skin)

Thanks!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Natural cure for Psoriasis?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:58 AM »
Being one that suffers from psoriasis - there doesn't seem to be a 'cure'..  Some facts about it:

What is psoriasis?

Psoriasis [pronounced sore-EYE-ah-sis] is a chronic (lifelong) disease of the immune system that varies from person to person, both in severity and how it responds to treatments.

Is psoriasis contagious?

Psoriasis is not contagious. It is not something you can "catch" or that others can catch from you. Psoriasis lesions are not infectious.

What causes psoriasis?

While the exact causes of psoriasis have yet to be discovered, we know that the immune system and genetics play major roles in its development. Most researchers agree that the immune system is somehow mistakenly triggered, which speeds up the growth cycle of skin cells among other immune reactions.

How is psoriasis diagnosed?

No special blood tests or diagnostic tools exist to diagnose psoriasis. A dermatologist (doctor who specializes in skin diseases) or other health care provider usually examines the affected skin and determines if it is psoriasis. Sometimes a piece of skin is examined under the microscope.

Is there a cure for psoriasis?

There is no cure, but many different treatments, both topical (on the skin) and systemic (throughout the body), can clear psoriasis for periods of time. People often need to try out different treatments before they find one that works for them.

Taken from the National Psoriasis Foundation

Diet, stress, environment are just but a few things that can make it flare up.  While I deal with psoriasis, the heal of my hand dries out pretty badly this time of year,.. mainly because of the cold dry air.  A simple lotion will help that.

I'd start with just a simply lotion,.. like Jergens or even Goldbond Medicated Lotion...  If that helps and your hands heal, then you may not have it.  Other wise, I do recommend that you see your health care professional.

In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »
Yesterday at a dr. appt, my dermatologist recommended Cerave Cream to help with dry skin (not psoriasis specifically). He said to apply it while the skin is still damp after bath or shower. His opinion was that lotions don't actually end up helping as much as this method in the long run.

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 10:17:00 AM »
Decades ago I had a fiance who had plaquing psoriasis. His most remarkable skin recoveries were in the weeks following swimming in the ocean and some beach/sun exposure. I've noticed this also makes a remarkable difference with my own Rosacea.

If you do not live near the ocean you might try soaking in a bath of sea salts as needed and using either Emu oil/lotion or coconut oil on the plaquing/rash.

The skin is the largest organ of the human body and its condition reflects what is going on with our internal health. Psoriasis shows an inflammatory response of the autoimmune system. It may be worth it to investigate incorporating foods with anti-inflammatory agents into your daily nutritional intake while transitioning those foods which encourage an inflammatory response out of your diet.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline Moonvalleyprepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
Quail Eggs

Disclaimer:
Please vet any and all medical advice that you get from the internet. Also some of these sites sell eggs so take the info with a grain of salt. I'm not affiliated with any of these sites and I don't sell any eggs, I just raise them and eat them.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6671158_benefits-quail-eggs_.html

http://tribune.com.ng/index.php/wealth-creation-thru-agric/29101-healing-power-of-japanese-quail-eggs

http://www.rantrave.com/Rant/Inportant-of-quail-egg.aspx

http://www.thehealthierlife.co.uk/natural-health-articles/allergies/quail-eggs-ease-rhinitis-symptoms-00013.html

http://healthierquaileggs.com/eczema-psoriasis.php?pg=7

My first hand experiences:

Cliff notes version. I got a new room mate she brought with her an 8 y/o pug. I feed my dogs a natural food diet, so naturally the pug started getting it also. Before moving in the pug had numerous health problems, and would go to the vet 4-6 times a year. During the summer months she would lose all of the hair on her belly, and itch herself until she bled. It was actually recommended by her now former vet that it might be better to just put her down, hence why it's the former vet.

After about 1-2 months of the natural diet her health improved drastically, shiny coat, better breath, less eye goobers, more energy, but still some dry flaky skin on her nose and belly. Late spring we switched her exclusively to raw quail eggs, and a carbohydrate, 6 eggs a day. She ended up making it through the whole summer without losing her hair, the flaky patches on her belly / nose are now gone, and she just got over a nagging ear infection. Oh and not a single trip to the vet. Her energy level has also skyrocketed.

I'm not saying it will cure you, but it might be something to look into. My dad and one of my friends has psoriasis and I have been trying to get them to give it a try. unfortunately they are both of the, "If it don't come in a bottle or a tube it ain't medicine," mentality. Hopefully I can get one of them to give it a go, I would love to document the results, but it seems every time I drop off a dozen eggs at my folks house, I come pack and find they have been blown and placed as a decoration on a shelf somewhere.  :o
Quail Stuff

Ebook. http://greatlakespermacultureportal.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/BD-Ebook-quail-for-meat-and-eggs.pdf
Thread. http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=42890.0
Prezi. http://prezi.com/kssuytlqgjs4/raising-quail-for-meat-and-eggs/?kw=view-kssuytlqgjs4&rc=ref-37650931
TSP Episode 1017. http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/quail-for-eggs-and-meat

Virtual tour of my property, Google Sketchup overlay on Google Earth image.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a8gkPz1otw

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
~Thomas Edison

"If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Red Green

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 11:00:17 AM »
I had eczema or psoriasis for 5 years that I went to the doctor/s for. They gave me plenty of advice and creams (most of which burnt my skin the second I applied it) and one day I used a suntan lotion I had on hand and it SOOTHED IT. So I started applying it multiple times a day for months and my "1st degree burn-like' marks finally went away forever.

I don't know if Nature's Gate has changed their formula since 2002, but I swear it worked for me.
Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline ant

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »
Just to echo the post above about it possibly being an auto-immune response...  My wife stopped eating/drinking any dairy as part of a paleo diet. Within a week or so the psoriasis she had suffered from for years went away. You may want to consider doing a variety of allergy protocols to see if that might be the cause. Of course, consult a physician before making changes, etc.

Ant

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 12:58:02 PM »
I went through the whole allergy testing thing, turns out my issue is petroleum food dyes. It's more common than people think and a sensitivity to these kinds of additives can wreak all kinds of havoc on your system. These dyes are even in skin care products that are advertised to clear up your skin.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline blademan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ask the next question
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 05:34:41 PM »
But4life,
   I am not a doctor, but I have somethings for you to think about. There is a soap called Grandpa's Pine Tar oil Soap. Sounds like horrible stuff. It is freakin fantastic. Its not super expensive and can be found in most natural food stores. There are many reviews about it helping psoriasis.
Another soap is called Chandrika. It is from india but it is super cheap. It has sandal wood oil in it and smells great. I use it as my all purpose soap and shapoo and shaving bar. These are real natural soaps. You can find Chandrika at a natural food store as well and at indian spice stores and maybe even general asian markets.
 Also, shea butter and coconut oils are great for skin, (see my post on shea butter in this thread) and you may even try a turmeric poltice or rub but that is going to stain and make a mess. But it may help. Hope you find something to help you.
Man's mind is his basic tool of survival.
Fear is the mind killer.

Two rules for a happy life:
1. Never sling shit at an armed man.
2. Never stand next to someone who is slinging shit at an armed man.

Offline Built4life

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 03:39:26 AM »
Thanks very much for all the replys and advice - I have allot of great ideas to try now!

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 07:13:41 AM »
I have had friends and family with similar issues.   

It might be a fungal issue.  You can check by using a black light to see if any of it glows pretty colors under a black light.  Fungal issues can easily be treated once you know if that is the cause.

Lots of sunlight helps.  I know someone who keeps her psoriasis in check with lots of sun exposure.

Another friend cuts out all yeast and yeast based foods out of her diet.  She does this for a few months and she is good to go for a couple of years.

Offline scoob

• Survivor
  • It's the LIBERTY, stupid!
    • Marksmanship and American Heritage
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 08:22:45 AM »
What causes psoriasis?
While the exact causes of psoriasis have yet to be discovered, we know that the immune system and genetics play major roles in its development. Most researchers agree that the immune system is somehow mistakenly triggered, which speeds up the growth cycle of skin cells among other immune reactions.

It sounds like the process that Glyphosate (Round-up) is designed to induce in plant cells.  Makes me wonder if psoriasis is yet another byproduct of our engineered food supply. 

Following a link from Episode 1023:
http://naturalsociety.com/monsantos-roundup-glyphosate-parkinsons-neurodegenerative/
Then down the rat hole...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apoptosis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autophagy 

Natural cure?  First thing is to find the cause.  But if scientists can't (or won't) even figure out the cause, I guess we have to go with our own theories.  I don't have psoriasis, but I am still doing my best to avoid GMO food.  I guess that's a start... stop eating poison.