Author Topic: low-cost all-around bag  (Read 1473 times)

Offline rohare

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
low-cost all-around bag
« on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:32 PM »
Hey guys, I'm wondering about a decent all-around bag that would be appropriate as a BOB, day pack, or low-weight backpacking (i.e. 40 lb.'s or less). Internal frame, waist belt, and MOLLE/PALS webbing are a must (I'm a sucker for modularity). Is there anything halfway decent that doesn't cost an arm, leg, three teeth, and your first-born? I intend to put together a pack that would be my BOB, but would, with only some of the contents, be my light-weight backpacking pack, or with even fewer of the contents, be a day-hike pack. I work across the street from my residence so I'm never far from my BOB. For that reason I feel pretty comfortable having just one pack that I'd keep fully kitted up for BOB while at home, but can be used for other purposes as well. Any ideas or experience? Thanks in advance!

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: low-cost all-around bag
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »
Internal frame, waist belt, and MOLLE/PALS webbing are a must (I'm a sucker for modularity).

Well you've got some of the key words that require a fairly thick pocket book depending on how you value "an arm, leg, three teeth, and your first-born".  Really, what's your budget?

And welcome to TSP, someone here will be able to help you.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline rohare

• Fledgling Prepper
  • TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 01:24:10 AM »
Good point nelson96. I guess that was needlessly obfuscated. The fact is that I'm a bit ignorant on the subject and don't have a good idea of the prices one would expect to pay for such a thing. I'd prefer not to spend more than $150 but I may be dramatically underestimating. On the other hand, something of decent quality might be found for less than that... I hope. I have done some research but the amount of options is daunting. Not like my experience 12 years ago when I use to be into backpacking. At that time it seemed like you had ALICE packs and civilian packs that looked a lot like ALICE packs. Now there's so many companies, options, and abbreviations I can't make heads or tails of it. Again, thanks for any suggestions.
-Rory

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
Rory,

Why not just look at a traditional internal frame backpacking pack?  I know they aren't molle, but you can find big and well built packs in your price range.  Also, backpacking packs are designed to be carried long distances, especially the expedition sized ones that are over 4000 cu. inch.  Look at Kelty for some good ones.  REI also has some nice packs.

Whatever you choose, go to a store and try one on.  Any good outdoor retailer will let you load it up with some weight and carry it around the store.  I know REI does this.  If their prices are too high, just look for the same pack online after you have tried one on in the store.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 06:48:42 PM »
I'm not sure where you live, but they do ship . . .  Have you looked in to Tactical Tailor?  They have a lot to choose from and if they don't have quite what you want, they will make one to your custom specifications.  It's a great company right across the freeway from the Fort Lewis-McChord base.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 11:23:10 PM »
If I didn't already have bags galore, the Recon Ruck from SPEC-OPS would be high on my list (might still make it into my stockpile :D ).  It's a modern take on the old ALICE pack.  A little bigger than a Medium ALICE, but smaller than the Large and MOLLE webbing added.
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/retro-tactical-gear/recon-ruck-ultra.html

Also, if you don't mind the DCU Pattern, they have a Disaster Prep Kit that is an awesome deal - a good 3-day assault pack with rifle mag pouch, pistol mag pouch, and a flashlight pouch.  Lots of MOLLE webbing for you.
http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/retro-tactical-gear/t-h-e-pack-3-day-assault-pack-3-color-desert-camo-779.html

And, you can't beat the price on either of these.  Either one is $90 for quality, made in the USA gear.  I've got a few pieces of SPEC-OPS gear and it's been bomb proof.
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." R.A.H.

My 13Skills Blog http://improvingeddie.wordpress.com/

Offline cbowseriii

• Prepper
  • ANIMIS OPIBUSQUE PARATI
    • The Institute for Personal Safety
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
I just picked up a rutt sack at a gun show with 3,000 square inches, straps for modularity, and plenty of room.  It cost me 65 dollars!
NRA Instructor

The Institute for Personal Safety

https://www.facebook.com/IFPSllc

Offline Bankman007

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »
Check out the Teton Sports line on Amazon.com.  They generally get great reviews and prices for some models are between $60-80.

Prices change so you might want to take your time.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D3400391&field-keywords=Teton+backpack&rh=n%3A3400391%2Ck%3ATeton+backpack

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:15:29 PM »
http://www.condoroutdoor.com/125_3_day_assault_pack.aspx

Condor 3-Day Assault Pack

I just picked up 3 of them off Amazon for $57.10 per pack.

Description :
- Large load cargo capacity compartment with separate pocket to fit up to two 3L hydration bladders.
- Body contour shoulder straps with D-Ring for equipment attachment, sternum starp and waist belt.
- External side compression straps.
- Heavy-Duty carry and drag handle.
- Two double zipper pulls on the main compartment for easy access.
- Individual foam pad back panel for extra comfort and maximum airflow.
- Grommets on all compartments for drainage.
- Import

Total of seven compartments:
- Main Compartment with gear straps to secure gears and two extra mesh pockets.
- Second Compartment contains three map/document pockets, two radio pockets, and penholders.
- Two large pockets on the back, bottom pocket (12.5" x 6" x 3") with three elastic closure mash pocket
  and a zipper mash pocket.
- Two side pockets (9" x 5" x 2.5") one on each side.
- One Compartment for hydration systems.

- VOLUME : 3038 CU IN
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline BillyG60

• Prepper
    • Central Florida Video Surf Report
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
I got an order from LA Police gear and decided to order there 3 day pack as it is only 30 bucks. Pretty impressed for the price.Kinda stiff, but it should loosen up over time.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html