Author Topic: Bugging in and how much ammo to store?  (Read 4795 times)

Offline Connecticut Prepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Bugging in and how much ammo to store?
« on: November 21, 2012, 05:12:59 PM »
Where I live, I am on a main road in the center of town, I live honestly right next to a Walmart and other shops so as you can imagine traffic on a weekend when it is nice out is pretty hectic so you can imagine trying to get onto the main road would be a nightmare.  I feel that my best bet would be to bug in and stay on the down low.

My question is, what would be a good amount of ammo to keep in reserve at all times?

I am thinking something like
1,500 rounds of rifle ammo per rifle
   500 rounds of shotgun ammo per shotgun
   500 rounds of of pistol/revolver ammo per pistol/revolver

any advice?

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Bugging in and how much ammo to store?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:37:04 PM »
You're going to get opinions all over the place on this one.  Mine is just one of many.  First, how many firefights have you been in over the course of your life?  The only reason I ask is that if you're realistic with yourself, you'll understand that there are many people out there with a hell of a lot better training and experience than you and if a dozen or so of them get together, well, there's not a whole lot an average Joe can do to fend them off if they're bound and determined to take what you have.

So, with that in mind, be realistic that this is not all going to unfold like a Hollywood movie and you're not going to shoot your way through a Mad Max movie.  The most likely shooting you'll be involved in is a street crime or drug-fueled home invasion.  In that case, focus on your handgun skills and stock up on high quality ammo since all pistol ammo is at best, marginal at actually stopping a fight.  I say stock up not because I think you'll survive 15 firefights where you expend 30 rounds in each, but because there may come a day and time when the best ammo is banned, unavailable or just too expensive to buy more of, so having enough to practice with once a year (the rest of the time training with hardball ammo) is a good idea and it would be nice to run a mag of the stuff a year just so you know how your gun handles with it in it.  For me, 250 rounds of high quality handgun ammo is reasonable and then I keep about a year of practice ball ammo around, which works out to be about 150 rounds a month, or 1500-2000 rounds.

For my .22, since it's a primary game getter for rabbits and squirrels and my primary training weapon of choice in both handgun and rifle, I keep 2-3,000 rounds around.

For my hunting  rifle, considering I fire about 20 rounds a year for sighting in, practice and taking game, I'm comfortable with a five year supply or about 100-200 rounds.  I could also call that my sniper rifle, but realistically, if there is rule of law or rule of law ever returns, just how are you going to say that you felt that you felt in imminent jeopardy from a guy at 300 yards to that DA and not expect problems?  Shots outside of 40-100 yards are pretty hard to justify to the law and while possible, I don't see them as especially probable.

Yes, I have a fancy matte black gun, too, but realistically, I can't see myself surviving 20 magazines worth of firefights, so my cache of 5.56 is pretty modest and south of 1,000 rounds.

As for shotguns, if that's a game getter, I'd have a lot of the appropriate shot for hunting rabbits, squirrels, pigeons, geese, and whatever else you have in mind.  For self defense, shotguns are upclose and personal weapons.  How many engagements can one expect to survive at a range of 30 yards?  So for that reason, I don't cache much in the way of shot shells.  I don't live in a major migratory flyway, so it's not a meat getter, it's more of something to keep loaded with rubber buckshot to keep the bears out of my trash.

Your mileage may vary.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
IMHO a good rule of thumb is 20k per each .22 and 5K (but 10K is better if you can afford it) for every other caliber. It's nothing for the boys to go through a couple thousand rounds in one week-end during target practice.  For those who think they need a AK to survive, remember...there has not been a species on this earth today that .22 has not been used to successfully bring down.  Elephant, water buffalo, alligator, deer, squirrel, rabbit, and yes, man.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »
I tend to get nervous below the following levels;

2500 ball & 500 SD for each handgun caliber,
2000 5.56/.223
5000 .22
250 12 gauge.

Not so much for fending off the Golden Horde as a hedge against inflation, ammo shortages, or cash shortages.

Much like "copy canning", I try to pick up a box or two of something on trips to Wally World.

It's never going to get any cheaper!
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:20:53 PM »
because there may come a day and time when the best ammo is banned, unavailable or just too expensive to buy more of, so having enough to practice with once a year (the rest of the time training with hardball ammo) is a good idea and it would be nice to run a mag of the stuff a year just so you know how your gun handles with it in it.

That's the best advice you're going to see come your way.  That said, IMO there is no such thing as too much on hand.  Depending on your resources for storing in a cool dry place and JUST PLAIN BUYING TOO MUCH and not enough other stuff.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:00 PM »
Then more the marrier. :)
All it does is go up so buy when you have extra money.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »
I feel pretty comfortable with my stockpile

Ak-74 5.45x39- 7,000 rounds
308 rifle, 300 rounds
12 gauge, 500 rounds
22 magnum, 1500 rounds
22 Longrifle, 2,000 rounds
.40 cal 200 rounds
.380 cal 300 rounds

and some other various ammo I just ended up with 5.56x28, 9mm 20 gauge etc etc.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 09:32:40 AM »
The answer is more of - that depends on a lot of things. . .

I could go into a bunch of I would have this much, but lets use your numbers.

Good start, now add practice ammo / what you would shoot in the weapon platform for 5 years. 

If you are talking "firefight" - one more round than you need.  But my guess is that the title of your post should be - how much ammo should I have on hand in my ammo fort.

My rule of thumb is 10k (reserve) in 22lr for plinking enjoyment (assuming you have a 22lr).   When I go out shooting, I grab a box of old 22lr, enjoy myself, and the next time I am at the store I replace it with at least as much as I shot.  Or, if I am building up my reserves, I would do the copy can approach.  Use one, buy at least two.   
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »
I don't know how old you are, but have you ever heard the term "if I had of bought X of those when I was a kid, I could be rich now" or "I wish I had bought a bunch of those when I was a kid becuase they don't make them anymore".  I hope that won't be the case with ammo or guns, but I'm getting pretty darn tired of repeating those quotes on other stuff.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline cbowseriii

• Prepper
  • ANIMIS OPIBUSQUE PARATI
    • The Institute for Personal Safety
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »
Wow, according to some of these posts I am way understocked....I am going to tell all my kids ammo for a stocking stuffer!
NRA Instructor

The Institute for Personal Safety

https://www.facebook.com/IFPSllc

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 10:50:29 AM »
I agree with everything posted so far, even though they say slightly different things.  There is no one "right answer."

I want to amplify the part about ammo being "precious metal" that is a hedge against inflation.  Ammo never goes down in price, stores forever, could save your life, is perhaps the best barter item ever, and you can enjoy recreationally if nothing bad happens.  There is no down side to having lots of ammo.  That doesn't mean you freak out and put it on a credit card, but having more is always better.

Another thing to factor in is that you might lose some of your ammo to theft or confiscation.  You might hand out ammo to friendly forces.  So have more than you personally need.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
Don't panic and go buy 10,000 rounds of ammo. Take the same approach as building a supply of food. Every week or every payday, buy ammo to replace any you shoot, plus an additional box or two. $20 a week will build a nice supply of ammo in not much time.

Week 1 - 500rds 22LR
Week 2 - 100rds 9mm
Week 3 - 20rds 30-06
Week 4 - 20rds 12ga 00
Month 1 = 640 Rounds $80
1 Year = 7,680 Rounds $960

Offline Winston Smith

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
My personal opinion-

Aside from the ammo you shoot for recreation, which is going to vary based on what you shoot for fun you'll want to go light on handgun ammo.  Handgun should only be a way to get back to your home/BOL/rifle, and maybe occasional use in situations/activities where a longarm is impractical or illegal.  I'm going to say 100 rounds for personal defense, and 90 of them are going to outlast you, if you ever need to use them at all.  You can always keep more for practice, but I would suggest using a .22 pistol for practice anyway.

For a black rifle, I'd want more than a handgun, but probably not that much more.  Standard loadout for soldiers in theatre is 210 rounds(or at least it was in 2003).  If you're being smart, even if things get really bad you hopefully won't be getting into anything nearly as heavy as what combat soldiers do.  There is a possibility of siege, so I would probably go somewhere around 1500-2000 rounds, for occasional practice.  I think stocking up 5000+ rounds of .223 while other preps are lacking is foolish.

I'd stock up bigtime on .22 lr.  Perfect for small game(and at least in the N.E., squirrels and birds are absolutely everywhere), can be used for practice in a .22 handgun to save pistol caliber ammo, and are so cheap you can keep tons of it on hand.  It's also far underestimated as a self defense round.  At self defense ranges, shots to the head/chest cavity can be very effective.
"Outie belly buttons are the turkey thermometer of a communist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
but I would suggest using a .22 pistol for practice anyway.

I realize this is off topic, but I disagree with this to some extent.  Practicing with a .22 pistol is only cheaper and lends itself well for practicing gun handling and shooting on the move, but shooting your primary protection piece (probably higher caliber) is most important due to the fact that recoil and size play a big part in how effective you will be with it when you need it.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 12:52:13 PM »
So far everyone has given really good advice, especially on such a subjective topic.  If I were in your shoes (this is my best guess with almost no personal information about you), after I had between 500-1,000 rounds per gun (more for .22), I would focus on getting the necessary "uncool" accessories.  Slings, holsters, EXTRA MAGAZINES (what good is it to have 20,000 rounds of ammo and only one or two magazines?), spare parts, and other under appreciated items would be a wise investment.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »

... after I had between 500-1,000 rounds per gun (more for .22), I would focus on getting the necessary "uncool" accessories.  Slings, holsters, EXTRA MAGAZINES (what good is it to have 20,000 rounds of ammo and only one or two magazines?), spare parts, and other under appreciated items would be a wise investment.

Tru dat.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 10:15:56 PM »
Like many have said get all you can afford, buy some every paycheck, as for how much you need, I have been in a skirmish or two in Iraq, and 210 rounds go faster than you think, (most are fired just get the enemies head down, or to show fire superiority,or just fired in their general direction) after my 1st firefight I begged borrowed and stole every mag and round I could find. 
take into account your practice ammo, ammo for friends, the numbers will add up.

for my AK I buy the cheap bulk spam cans for a SHTF situation, it is lacquer dipped and will store forever and I shoot and store silver wolf non-corrosive for practice and fun, a bit more expensive but shoots great in my AK.

dont forget ammo for hunting as well, and there are more rabbits, squirrels and birds than deer and cattle so get lots of 22 and shotgun ammo. I have a nice 308 set up but I dont stock a lot of ammo for it, I dont plan on shooting many deer at 600 yards. which brings up another point, there is no need to stockpile 10,000 50 cal bullets if the farthest you can see where you live is 200 yards due to hills/trees.

have a plan, my go-to gun is my AK-74, I know it will punch through walls and hit who is in the next room, but I have a plan. I live in a 2 story house and in a SHTF situation we will be upstairs and who ever is after my stuff will have to fight their way up the staircase. I have had to do that in MOUNT training (military operations in urban terrain). and we died in bunches trying to get up stairways. it channelizes you and you are fighting up hill. I did learn some cool tricks, like putting a grenade in a boot (so it doesnt roll back down the stairway) and throwing it to the top of the stairwell.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 10:26:58 PM by excaliber »

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 10:45:27 PM »
I did learn some cool tricks, like putting a grenade in a boot (so it doesnt roll back down the stairway) and throwing it to the top of the stairwell.

We taped a grenade to a brick for the same reason.  I'd hate to walk around with one boot!    :'(
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
I have an amount with several zeros on the end. It should last me awhile. I'm slowly phasing out the cheap stuff for better quality (shooting the last of the wolf and staying with brass only because it's cheaper to reload) And nobody tracks components vs case purchases.

Ya know, the more I think about it the madder I get.  Our motto, what we believed down in our heart, went something like this "ye though I walk through the Valley of Death we will fear no evil...for we are the baddest mother strawberry pickers in the Valley".

FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 08:07:12 AM »
Average carry for combat troops is 210 rounds.
We would go through 210 rounds in 5-10 minutes.
Average skirmish lasted 20-40 minutes.
We carried 2 ABLs (Ammunition Basic Loads) in our vehicles and could resupply internally for the duration of the average skirmish.
In one skirmish we had to get resupply via helicopter because the unit went black on ammo (ran out). This was very dangerous as we were in the middle of bad lands.
As we got better, we needed less ammo. Soldiers started only shooting in their sectors of fire if targets presented. We would cover each others sectors only when we needed to individually reload, or if a gun went down. Mind you, we practiced fire control and gun down in training, but it was way different under fire. It was controlled chaos.

I suppose the ammo used in the average skirmish would be a factor of the guns capability, shooters capability, nature of the skirmish, and training level of your opponent.
So in sum
630 rounds gets one through an average skirmish against a semi trained foe.
Plan on some sort of ammo cache around your property and surrounding area where you will defend.
Don't put all your ammo in one spot. Use 4" PVC tubes with glued end caps and desiccant along routes you plan to egress if it gets bad and you have to bug out (I have yet to do this-great topic to reinforce what I need to do).

This is a worst case scenario. I agree with earlier comments about planning for an average home invasion.

If you are storing ammo then consider a balance of purchasing body armor, rifle upgrades, and training rounds.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:18:37 AM by Big_Al »
"you can do everything right and still fail, chance and the enemy get a vote"
Old Afghan Proverb
Give an American a fish, he will return the favor by giving you multi million dollar contracts.
Teach an American to fish, he gets jealous that you knew something he did not, and calls in a drone strike and kills you and your family.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 03:00:26 PM »
I want to have enough, I want to be practical with what I have.  I know I will never be shooting hordes and hordes of zombies, stopping an invading army by myself or roaming the wasteland fighting off bandits, but I live in a pretty big town and right in the center of it, in a town house right next to a Wal-Mart plaza and I have seen my neighbors and surrounding towns freak out when we've lost power for a few days, Last October we had a freak snow storm and it took out a ton of trees and tree branches, the section of town I lived in had power but no one else in a pretty large section around us did so they flooded into our area, lines for gas were about a mile to a mile and a half long, after a while the gas stations were out of gas, the stores were all packed and people just generally over reacted to what was going on.

Because I live next to the plaza and if things were to get bad and stay bad for a long period of time my fear is that people would see our houses next to the plaza's and think that we must have most of the stuff in the stores because we live so close and decide to go have a look.

I want to have enough ammo to have on hand in case of a little emergency but also enough ammo that if something like Katrina or Sandy hit my area as badly as they hit others and I were to go weeks or months without being able to get to a store that I knew I could shoot and not have to worry about counting each and every shot

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Bugging in and how much ammo to store?a
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »
Things can be bad for along time, and I don't mean mad max type of way, but think a 20 year stretch of bad crime, riots, home invasions. I m8ight get killed, but not for a lack of return fire.

A lot of people think they can't possibly be involved in that many firefights, amd I've thouht that myself, but I've met people who have convinced me otherwise, that have been in many "situations" and have expnded a lot of ammo.

So I keep buying more when I find it at reasonable prices. I refuse to panic buy (hard to panic when you're sitting on about 50,000 rounds) but the dollar has lost 90% or more of its value so I spend the dollars as I get them, subject to keeping a reasonable reserve.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 04:36:56 PM »
That would be my other reason for buying ammo Chris.  Ammo taxes, with such a horrible gun government now in office they will do everything and everything they can to disarm us and if I can have enough ammo to not care about a tax because I can shoot for years without the fear of running out of ammo would make me a very happy beginner prepper  ;D

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 06:53:35 AM »
My first goal has been to get up to around 500 rounds of .223 brass cartridge. My second goal will be to set myself up to reload them. My third will be to build a cache of less-expensive steel cartridge stuff for one-time zombie-wompin'. Frankly, for me anyway (and I sure don't speak for anyone else) if it's anywhere near that bad I'm already toast. I should have left a long time ago. The danger of having lots of guns n' ammo can be that it creates the mindset that gets entrenched--"I got anything handled, I have all THIS stuff, I'm not going anywhere", not realizing you don't have the ability to mount a defense against multiple targets over a long range of time. You have to sleep. Your four yr old can't mount a weapon. Etc..

Given that prices of things can and do go up, and that taxes do often grow, and that there is always the possibility of other limiting factors (legislation, for instance), you can look at ammo as investment, a hedge against inflation, and so a form of money investment.

Just my thoughts, and again I don't speak for anyone but myself. Everyone makes and executes--and lives, suffers, or dies--on their own plan.
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2012, 07:47:44 AM »
blueyedmule,

I am also opening up my eyes to the fact that I will not be able to stay here forever, I am looking for places where I can store underground bug out supplies and most importantly I am looking for a safe place I can go to when my house and my supplies are empty/overrun/destroyed.

My problem is, I don't own any land nor do I have a second house.  I am considering buying a box van and loading it with many supplies when I have to take to the road it would make me much better stocked than just what I can carry in a bag, but what good is a van with supplies if I have no place to go?

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
Blueyedmule,

Don't know if you knew this but it's possible to reload steel cartridges.  It might not be preferable, and I'd only recommend doing it once, but the option is there.....  Just have to make sure to set yourself up to do that before you need to.  And for a tip on depriming Berdan's, the hydraulic method is the best (my opinion).  Just Google it if you're unsure.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
My first goal has been to get up to around 500 rounds of .223 brass cartridge. My second goal will be to set myself up to reload them. My third will be to build a cache of less-expensive steel cartridge stuff for one-time zombie-wompin'. Frankly, for me anyway (and I sure don't speak for anyone else) if it's anywhere near that bad I'm already toast. I should have left a long time ago. The danger of having lots of guns n' ammo can be that it creates the mindset that gets entrenched--"I got anything handled, I have all THIS stuff, I'm not going anywhere", not realizing you don't have the ability to mount a defense against multiple targets over a long range of time. You have to sleep. Your four yr old can't mount a weapon. Etc..
One thing to think about is getting your primers, powders and bullets first, then worry about a reloading press and brass.  There are plenty of reloading presses in the garages and basements of the world that sit unused 99.9% of the time that you could borrow, but nobody is going to loan you their powder.  My gunsmith actually rents out his reloading set up ($10 for all day in his basement, including access to his chrono and range).  While I plan on eventually plan on getting my own press again, it's easier to just buy and store primers and powder at this point since I don't have the time to reload anyway.  In the meantime, I'm shooting reloadable brass cartridges and building up my cache of brass for when I finally do make the leap.

Just a thought.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline cptd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2012, 07:19:16 PM »
Most people go way overboard with ammo. Unless you're  going to be doing a lot of hunting you probably won't need it, in my humble opinion.

Reality is that if you are in battles so regularly that you need to have tens of thousands of rounds squirrelled away then you probably need to think instead about getting out of that environment. I've been in gunfights all over the world and know that the reality is that the more fights you're in, the more likely you are to get shot. If you find yourself in a gunfight every time you step out the door then WTF are you sticking around for? Go someplace less hot. Sooner or later your number comes up, and it doesn't matter if you have ten rounds in the basement or ten thousand. It only takes one shot to get yourself dead, and that ain't good prepping.

Lots of people seem to think if they just squirrel away enough guns and ammo they can get through anything. I've personally witnessed the fallout of all kinds of failed societies, and while prepping for some kind of multi-decade anarchy can't hurt, the reality is that there is very little modern or historic precedent for this sort of situation. Some sort of order is always restored. The big question is what that order will look like, who will be in charge, and what the new rules will be.

In the case of the coming economic collapse, the thing to remember is that we're not going to be talking about post world war europe or japan, or north africa at the end of the cold war. The bridges and roads will be here, the power plants will not be destroyed, even if they are switched off for a while. If there is disorder it won't be forever.  If things happen the way they typically do with runaway inflation and other such nonsense, you'll get civil disorder, possible government change - but someone will step in and restore order.

The only exceptions to this rule that I've observed are places like North Africa, where the infrastructure simply doesn't exist because decades of war have destroyed what little is there, and where tribal feuds run deep. And as bad as things could get here, the plain truth of the matter is that people in the US are far less tough than people over there. Few people here have ever heard a shot fired in anger. You will not see the kind of heavily armed posses here that we ran into in Somalia, and that still are at it over there.

If you get a riot on your street, probably standing on your porch with a super soaker would be enough to scare them away.

If I'm wrong, and this place does turn into Somalia somehow, why would you stay here? FInd a more stable English-speaking country and get out of here. I mean, seriously - I fought multiple combat tours in the name of this country, but if it gets that bad I'm gone. I'm not staying here and struggling to survive for decades, and I'm not raising my kids in anarchy.

As a case study - I have a very good friend who is descended of Ukrainian nobility.  When the Bolsheviks came to town they rounded up the landowners (the nobility), killed them all, and seized their land for collective agriculture.

My friend's great grandfather smelled the poo on the wind and converted much of the family's wealth to diamonds and other hard, easy to carry assets.

His neigbors all thought it would be smart to hole up on their land with guns and ammo. Long story short, they're all in shallow graves somewhere in the Ukraine. Their land was seized anyway, but my friend's ancestor was able to bribe his way through all of the roadblocks and get his family out.

The spent two generations looking for a new place to settle, and it wasn't easy, but eventually they found a new home. In the unlikely event that things got that bad, I'd be gone.

My friend's great grandfather got his family to safety with one flintlock pistol, haviing never fired a shot. Now if that's not your bag and you fancy yourself to be John Rambo and think you can fight for decades without taking one, by all means, store up thousands of rounds and all, but I think that's a stupid waste of resources. If things are so bad that you need tens of thousands of bullets and you're really cocerned with survival, you should be thinking more about jumping ship than digging in.

Remember too that without access to serious, hard-core medical care, and that right away, you're dead if you take even a relatively minor hit. I've been shot three times. I survived all three times because of the speed with which I was removed from the battlefield and transported to a safe placce to get good medical care. If you don't have a medevac unit ready, and you get shot in the arm or the leg or the foot or whatever in a firefight, all the other guy has to do is wait for you to bleed out.

So much talk by preppers about about ammo and guns, and I seldom see any real thought about what the implications of needing of that are. Do you really expect to fight Hamburger Hill at your home, day after day, year after year, and survive that? Ask any real soldier and he'll tell you you're nuts. Get the hell out of that situation.

There is no hard and fast rule about this and I'm likely to take a lot of flak for my opinion, as the conventional prepping wisdom seems to be that you should stockpile and fight your way through it like Rambo. I think most of the people who think this way have probably never been in a real firefight or a real war or seen what real anarchy looks like, and are wedded to romantic ideas about defending their property and their rights and all that kind of thing. All noble thoughts and all, but I would argue that if survival is your primary objective then you should be avoiding conflict, and trying more than anything else to find a place to live where you're not going to get shot at every day.

If it's the principle of the thing (I'm going to die in my homeland, etc.) that's important to you, dig a trench. Build a wall. Buy a tank. Prepping for an Alamo-style last stand and prepping for survival are not the same.

Offline Garandman

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »
A GI's basic load is usually about 7 magazines of 30 rounds, with a resupply nearby. So 420 rounds of 5.56 has the potential to keep you out of one hell of a lot of trouble.

Personally, I look at what the likely scenarios are and plan accordingly. I don't expect to be using ammo as barter-bait with anyone - that transaction is bound to be complicated. The reason not to buy a ton of ammunition is that that budget might be better used for something else. Taking Hurricane Sandy for an example, gasoline, generators, gas cans, liquor, and food all had a lot more utility than a ton of ammo. Not only that, some of those houses were so severely flood damaged that any ammo you left behind was probably ruined by corrosion.

OTOH the price of ammo has risen rapidly and in any sort of emergency (or reelection of an AWB-happy President) would command even more of a premium. So investing cash in ammo supply has proven pretty prudent. I have Garand ammo that now sells for 4X what I paid and .45 ACP that's now 3X, so spending a bunch back when Obama was a state rep proved to be a good investment.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
Part of me wants to have more than enough ammo just to have.  I don't plan on having to shoot my way out of town.....ever, but I like the idea of not having to count each round when fired.   On the other hand, I do like to shoot, and I go to the range quite a bit and I am also playing with the idea of hoarding ammo for all of my firearms so that I could shoot and not have to go to the store but on the same hand, I could use the money for other prepps and such