Author Topic: Oral antifungal options  (Read 6392 times)

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
Oral antifungal options
« on: November 21, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »
Many of us are familial with aquarium antibiotics for bacterial infections, I've even used fish mox to treat an ear infection when I had a laps in my health insurance.

But what about fungal infections? In a situation without normal systems of support, we may be having to share a shower with many other folks in our group and the poor hygiene of some may lead to the spread of things like athletes foot.
Most infections can be cleared up with topical over the counter products, but sometimes oral anti fungals are necessary.
What our our options for stocking up on either over the counter oral antifungals, or prescription equivalent oral antifungals.
Are there veterinary or aquarium antifungals available that are the equivalent of those prescribed to humans?
Thanks.
Socrates did nothing more than encourage people to think. For this, they killed him.

Offline FreeLancer

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Oral antifungal options
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 07:20:40 PM »
Be cautious with the systemic antifungals.  As a group, they tend to carry a significant risk of liver toxicity, as well as adverse interactions with other medications.  Liver failure sucks a lot worse than jock itch.
In times of change learners inherit the earth and the learned find themselves equipped for a world that no longer exists.   Eric Hoffer

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.  Voltaire

Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
I'm not pushing this company but I have NEVER found a better product (even others with similar ingredients) than the two products I'll recommend.

They are made and distributed by Melaleuca.  I suggest you find a member/customer and get some. 

Dermatin Antifungal Cream (#2370) - For athletes foot, jock itch, and any other fungal infection.  In my experience it eliminates it with one dose.

T40-C3 Melaleuca Brand Tea Tree Oil (#2164) - To disinfect ANYTHING, sooth any wound-bite-sting, use it directly on a canker sore, mix it with water for a mouthwash, and will go right through your toenail and kill fungus.  I spray it on my cattle to kill ringworm too.  Generally I use their T36-C5 (#199) for everything but the toenail fungus (for that you need the good stuff).
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 11:50:21 AM »
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
http://www.ehow.com/how_2075188_use-urine-cure-fungus.html

pee on your feet  ;D
My dad says he remembers that as a kid. Just another reason to stock up on ammonia.

These are all topical. Anything in pill form?
My Fiance and I were talking about her friend who had persistent athletes foot that spread to her hands. (the puss/ooze was apparently communicable) Not sure what the doctor put her on, but if something like that happens during a long term SHTF, we'd like to know we're covered.
Socrates did nothing more than encourage people to think. For this, they killed him.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 12:10:14 PM »
I keep diflucan at home. takes a prescription though.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 12:17:53 PM »
My dad says he remembers that as a kid. Just another reason to stock up on ammonia.

These are all topical. Anything in pill form?
My Fiance and I were talking about her friend who had persistent athletes foot that spread to her hands. (the puss/ooze was apparently communicable) Not sure what the doctor put her on, but if something like that happens during a long term SHTF, we'd like to know we're covered.

You make a good point but addressing it early before it gets that bad is key.  Using a proven product to address it early is key.  Personally, I take pills as a LAST resort.  If it's effective enough to cure stuff like that, it's probably doing damage to your organs.  A good example of this are the prescriptions given to cure toenail fungus which cause side effects such as joint pain, flu symptoms, weight loss and itchy skin rash.  Signs of an overdose include stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, dizziness and skin rash. . . .  No thank you.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 12:38:47 PM »
Seriously, ammonia (or pee on your feet) and cut back on sugar.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
Seriously, (or pee on your feet)

Seriously?????? . . . .  There are other options, why are people even suggesting this.  I can drink pee too, but why wouldn't I just make sure I have plenty of water?
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 12:50:42 PM »
pee works and it is always available  ;) I've had athlete's foot and urine actually cleared it up a lot faster than anything over the counter.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
pee works and it is always available  ;) I've had athlete's foot and urine actually cleared it up a lot faster than anything over the counter.

Girlfriend, with all due respect, you need to try more over the counter options then.  :o

As to ammonia being a good choice.  I offer vinegar as a better choice.  Vinegar is something you want to include in your prep's anyway.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
For Oral antifungal options:
  • Apple Cider Vinegar may work, it does on oral thrush, but you have to do it 3x a day and it can affect the enamel on your teeth
  • Clove oil -- but it MUST BE DILUTED to 5%
  • Garlic FRESH-- plus it is a 1% antibiotic
  • Garlic pills -- plus it is a 1% antibiotic
  • A cup a day of Green, black and/or Oolong tea have bacteria fighting properties -- we even used it on horses at the clinic
  • Make a mouthwash with Calendula
  • REAL yogurt, not that sugar yucky stuff
  • Citrus fruit, but be warned too much can injure the enamel on your teeth
  • Rinsing in salt water
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2012, 02:53:31 PM »
I used to live in the same household with a 12 yr old boy who had the stinkiest feet in the world. You could tell when he got home as if he took his shoes off, you could see green fumes wafting through the house. Seriously. Just like the bad eggs we were talking about Nelson.

So after him having gone to the doctor for years for it. One day I sat him down in the bathroom and went through their cupboard (I was a nanny/housekeeper there), spied Cruex Jock Itch spray and sprayed the BEEGEEBIES out of his feet and threw away his tennis shoes which had seen better days anyway. It worked. After years of going to the doctor, in a week, he had NON-Stinky feet and although I don't know if you would have to snuggle up to them, you could VS having a gas mask.

This also works on Ringworm with Cattle I discovered. Cruex has 2% miconazole nitrate as its working ingredient. I don't recommend spraying it into your mouth as the subject line was asking about, but since everyone else was giving other ideas, this one was dredged up.

Cheryl -- Cow poo evidently works for a mask for acne too (seriously -- I know 3 girls who did it after their dad told them that).

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2012, 02:58:48 PM »
Any kind of poop works great as a lip balm . . . .  You'll never lick your lips again.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »
True story-If you buy the intro package of ProActive (an anti-acne system), there is a little "myths about acne" booklet that in all seriousness instructs you to NOT use newborn baby urine on your face.

end derail ;D

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 06:21:08 PM »
I agree that an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure, all good suggestions.
Thanks for the tip on diflucan cheryl1, I found petmeds and it looks like you can just order them online. And at a quarter of what the pharmacy would charge. We'd just have to print out the dosage chart.
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Fluconazole-prod11223.html

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 12:16:38 PM »
I agree that an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure, all good suggestions.
Thanks for the tip on diflucan cheryl1, I found petmeds and it looks like you can just order them online. And at a quarter of what the pharmacy would charge. We'd just have to print out the dosage chart.
http://www.1800petmeds.com/Fluconazole-prod11223.html
Thanks for the pet med tip.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »
I learned WAY more than I expected from this thread.  :o

"Baby, why are you taking so long in the bathroom?"  "Well.  I'm... uh... well... uh... peeing on my feet."

Offline bcksknr

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Child of the Cold War
Toenail Fungus
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 08:43:46 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Vick's VapoRub. My wife has really bad toenail fungus. I'm pretty sure it migrated to one of my big toes. I started applying VapoRub on and under the nail each morning after showering. Immediately the nail started to grow out clear. It took a couple of months for the damaged nail to completely grow out, but it is now perfectly normal. I heard about this on the People's Pharmacy radio show. It sounded at first like an "old wives tale", but I would endorse it as successful home medicine, based on my experience. The Doc told my wife that there is an oral antifungal but that it could destroy her liver. She doesn't believe in the VapoRub treatment and won't try it. Too bad.

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 10:53:36 PM »
WOW...I knew about the pee, but I learned SOOOO much more in this thread!  :o
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor