Author Topic: Low cost weapons light from Mission First Tactical  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Low cost weapons light from Mission First Tactical
« on: November 29, 2017, 04:36:13 PM »
I had a chance to play with a Picatinny rail mounted weapons light last weekend.  It calls itself a backup weapons mounted light, the intent being a lightweight LED weapons light for a carbine.  It has a low output for a WML (only 20 lumens), but it only costs $49 MSRP (probably significantly less for the savvy shopper later). 

If you run an AR or other rail equipped long arm for home defense this has plenty of illumination for most situations at a fraction of the cost of most lights and mounts and a very low weight.

http://www.missionfirsttactical.com/Products/Light-Laser-Mounts/TBLW-Torch-Backup-Light-White

I had no issues with it in 20 minutes of playing with it (yeah, real scientific test!) but its low price point made me think I would throw it out as a possibility for those who are looking for a similar capability.  If it were a $300 Super-Lumen 3000 I wouldn't recommend it without more testing, but it seems like a decent option for people that are looking for low cost options.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: Low cost weapons light from Mission First Tactical
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:59:55 PM »
Pretty interesting Chem, thanks for pointing this out.  20 lumens isn't much, but you could easily maneuver through a house with it.  Won't do much for blinding the other guy, but you can't have everything.

For those unfamiliar with lumens, here's a picture guide for bike light buyers.  The top pic is 25 lumens, close enough to get a general idea.  https://www.modernbike.com/bicycle-light-comparison-guide

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:03:53 PM »
     Thanks for the review, sounds like a nice low profile backup option. So, Chemsoldier, I have a firearms question for you. I'm in the midst of trying to figure out an EOTECH sight "popping" off of a Picatinny rail. Its my son's UTAS 12 gauge (the bullpup with two seven round magazines). In my mind it's a piece of questionable plastic design flaw. Anyway, I've personally seen the sight jump off of the rail after a few rounds. The crossbolt was blue lock-tighted and properly torqued. He sent the gun in and they said they replaced the rail, although they said there was nothing wrong with it and it must be an EOTECH problem. He then returned the sight under warranty and EOTECH said there was nothing wrong with it and that it must be a UTAS problem. You can see where this is going.
     The weaver lock on the sight just doesn't engage enough of the rail on the shotgun to securely hold it on. To be fair, IMHO the EOTECH mounting mechanism is crap. I have personally had it "pop" off of the shotgun into my hand with the slightest sideways pressure. The sight has been fine (relatively secure) on my AR and other Picatinny rails. I'm having trouble finding an after market rail of better quality for this dog. My son wants to sell the sight and get something with a different mounting mechanism. Personally I don't see the sense in putting an EOTECH on a bullpup shotgun anyway.
     Sorry to hijack your post, but you impress me as having your stuff together and I would appreciate any advice. I also think I'll ask Santa for one of those lights.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »
Interesting.  Do you have a dial caliper? Is the UTAS rail proper spec picatinny rail?  I have had a lot of EOTech AR time (5.56) and have even run about 300 rounds through a .308 with an EOTECH and have not seen that.

My first guess is a slightly out of spec rail, after that, the EOTECH just doesn't like the recoil of the shotgun maybe.

As you said, I am not sure the relative value of the EOTECH vs ghost ring sights on a shotgun, at least not with buck or close slugs.

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
     Thanks for the reply. Have you any idea what the correct specs are for a Picatinny Rail; everyone I have measures slightly different?