Author Topic: Seattle-ite guys his 1st gun.... Scary article...  (Read 2001 times)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
Re: Seattle-ite guys his 1st gun.... Scary article...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:18:58 PM »
That's a guy who shouldn't have a gun.

But I didn't catch which laws he violated.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 04:52:13 PM »

I got 1/3 through and started skimming.  I caught that he was suicidal as a teenager.  Maybe he lied about something on the 4473?

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 05:39:13 PM »
I had to start skimming somewhere before the 1/3 mark, and gave up somewhere maybe around the halfway mark. One too many repeats of "it's for killing" or some variant thereof. I wonder if anyone sent the author a request not to procreate?

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 06:00:32 PM »
Guys, he's lived in LA, NYC, and DC. That's the full country.  :crazy:

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 06:11:02 PM »
And before we reached the terminal, I'd decided that the best way to exercise my Second Amendment right was to waive it, and get rid of my gun as soon as I got home.

Good decision there.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 10:29:59 PM »

I think he violated Fed Form 4473 question 11e:
Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drive, or any other controlled substance?
If he has been on antidepressants for 10 yrs, I would probable consider that addicted. But I'm not a LEO or a lawyer. Just me.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 11:07:01 PM »
Addiction to antidepressants?  Really?

I’ll take the gun owner on Prozac for ten years over the guy downing a 6-pack every night.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:42:40 AM »

I’ll take the gun owner on Prozac for ten years over the guy downing a 6-pack every night.

But after a week without his PROZAC......?

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 08:46:20 AM »
I think he violated Fed Form 4473 question 11e:
Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drive, or any other controlled substance?
If he has been on antidepressants for 10 yrs, I would probable consider that addicted. But I'm not a LEO or a lawyer. Just me.
I got the impression that 11e refers to clinical addiction especially to un-prescribed substances, I seriously doubt using prescription medication counts.

What I freaking maroon.  His article oscillates between understanding and sophomoric lack of understanding.  He understands that many anti-gun talking points are myths, or at least sees their limitations.  He has gotten some training and has obviously studied and gotten some proof reading.  I saw about 30 places where he easily should have said things with less precise lingo but still got it stated correctly.  However, he fundamentally didn't understand firearms either.  He is right about the awareness of the firearm that a person experiences when they start carrying.  However, the knee jerk self-loathing for doing it got really tiresome.  He is also erratic as others have pointed out. I am not surprised his wife was alarmed, confused and exasperated by the whole thing.  He is not exactly a great candidate for that kind of research project.  The other thing is he never got inside the way he should have.  To understand the firearms enthusiast and their feelings on gun control you have to really live the life.  Don't just get the gun, shoot some, get the training and carry.  You need to go to the range regularly (lets say weekly), do the accessory shuffle, have the box of holsters that didn't work out, learn the ins and outs of obtaining ammo to do a regular activity.  It is when you get there, where you never shot anyone, never known anyone who was shot (inside CONUS), never been a crime victim and yet these laws interfere with your regular, not exceptional, activities every dang day that you really get the problem with gun laws. The realization that intended or not, they discourage gun ownership by simply making law abiding activity incredibly inconvenient. 

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »

You're more scared of Hunter S. Thompson and Ernest Hemingway?  ;)

All three accidental discharges I have been near involved alcohol. I don't have a problem knocking back cocktails at the cabin but the smokewagon needs to be locked up first.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 09:23:12 AM »
You're more scared of Hunter S. Thompson and Ernest Hemingway?  ;)

All three accidental discharges I have been near involved alcohol. I don't have a problem knocking back cocktails at the cabin but the smokewagon needs to be locked up first.
Amen.

I have known of two soldiers who are dead from NDs with their privately owned weapons (I did not personally know either).  Both involved alcohol.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 09:46:28 AM »
Good points Chem, about "living the life".  That's true with so many hobbies or life habits.
When your regular routine is disrupted, it's unsettling and you seek to restore "normal".

It may sound absurd to non-gun people, but the ammo crisis of 2012 and later was a source of some anxiety for many of us.

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 01:07:54 PM »
But after a week without his PROZAC......?

Over the alcoholic with nothing to drink...?  Yup!

The FAA is allowing pilots to fly on SSRIs now. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
Over the alcoholic with nothing to drink...?  Yup!

The FAA is allowing pilots to fly on SSRIs now.

I don't think people on SSRIs are addicts.  They may behave badly when off their meds or be less functional in some capacity, but I've not heard of muggings because someone was strung out on Zoloft.