Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 396556 times)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #1200 on: March 30, 2014, 01:56:41 PM »
If I recall correctly, at least a year ago, I read a magazine that said 2-3 billion are sold in the U.S. each year.
...and with maybe 100 million .22's in the US, that comes to 30 rounds apiece.  :(

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1201 on: April 06, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »
Well I see I missed out on the cabelas link . Will have to check out this thread more often.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1202 on: April 09, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
I finally got 22 ammo at wally world.  I just walked in and they were cracking open the one and only case  of 22's they got that week.  It was a case of federal, 550 per box.  I got my limit of three boxes.  I called the wife and said get up here and get some if  you want ammo for our future Appleseed's this year.  She got the last three boxes.  Paid 24.95 per box.  ;D

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #1203 on: April 10, 2014, 04:30:24 AM »
I'm in Walmart once a week for work and I always wander by the ammo case to see what they have.  9mm, 45 & 40 is in regularly now...but of course my 38 special is nowhere to be found. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1204 on: April 10, 2014, 07:09:32 AM »
I'm in Walmart once a week for work and I always wander by the ammo case to see what they have.  9mm, 45 & 40 is in regularly now...but of course my 38 special is nowhere to be found.

that stinks.  I shoot a bunch of .38spl. though I've got the handloading down to $0.11/round of the slow cast lead variety.  .38spl brass NEVER seems to wear out.  I must have 20+ reloads through some of brass. Once in a while I'll buy some premium defensive stuff just to have, as I don't keep a carry or nightstand defensive gun with handloaded ammo.

Offline Spadalach

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1205 on: April 15, 2014, 10:20:24 PM »
Well I see I missed out on the cabelas link . Will have to check out this thread more often.

Hey Inbox485, do you have a new Cabela's link?  I forgot to renew mine in time and it expired.

Offline Rangeboss

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB member
    • The Shooters Podcast
« Reply #1206 on: April 18, 2014, 01:59:58 PM »
I found 5.56 and .223 at Walmart last week. They had no .22.
I was able to buy a can of 425 5.56 for $199 and a case of 1000 .223 for $399. They only had one case.

I run several large Youth Shooting Sports programs and Federal stepped up again this year with AWESOME support. I had to pay for it, but they dropped a small pallet in my driveway 2 days ago with 10 cases of .22, 50,000 rounds. We can continue to teach kids... fun Stuff.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1207 on: April 18, 2014, 03:12:32 PM »
I stopped in at the new Hillsboro Sportsman's Warehouse this week. Ended up getting a nice little Ruger SR22P pistol for the women folk here.  Lots of rifles and handguns, heavy on Ruger, but lots of Kimber and Glock, and small selections of S&W, Rock Island, Para Ordnance, Taurus, SIG.  Rifles are well stocked in Ruger, Remington, Savage, Tikka, Browning, Weatherby.  A handful of black rifles and lots of shotguns, including Benelli.

They did have CCI .22LR but only in the back to sell 100 rd box with each .22 firearm purchase. Chatting with the counter clerk and he said the supply of .22 is picking up in size of shipments but still not enough to put on the shelf.  He said they are getting about four times what they did just a month ago.  Just not frequent enough.

They had decent supply of handgun and rifle ammo in both bulk and premium grades.  Handgun ammo was about $20-$22/50 for the bulk stuff.  Premium ammo was not really any higher than before, about $22-$24/20.  They even had several cans of IMR 3031 and H4895, and all primers except small rifle.  Limits were two boxes of ammo per caliber, 2 cans of powder, 1,000 primers.

If you live on west side of Portland you may be interested to know Sportsmans will open a 6 lane indoor archery range at the store this year, date not yet announced.

Also noticed that they have an AK magazine by Magpul.  I picked up a couple of those, I think for about $13 each.  MUCH lighter than the East Bloc stee AK mags!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1208 on: April 18, 2014, 03:16:58 PM »
I also got an SR22 at Sportsmans, but up in Federal Way, WA.  It was a Black Friday deal.  Also got 3 packs of CCI minimags at the same trip, as that was the limit.
Aside from Cabela's mail order, that's the last .22lr I've got locally.

nelson96

« Reply #1209 on: April 18, 2014, 08:11:17 PM »
@NWPilgrim
Did you know that they are building a new Cabela's in Tualatin, right at the I-5 freeway exit?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1210 on: April 22, 2014, 11:31:59 AM »
@NWPilgrim
Did you know that they are building a new Cabela's in Tualatin, right at the I-5 freeway exit?

Yes!  Supposed to open this fall, right?  That will be great for a broader selection of decent prices and selection of firearms, ammo, reloading supplies, clothing, etc.  Sportsman's Warehouse, Fisherman's Supply, and Cabela's and REI are my favorite outdoor retail stores.  All will be on the west side of Portland then.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1211 on: April 22, 2014, 11:43:32 AM »
ooh - and no sales tax.  Might be worth a road trip. 

Whenever I'm south of the river I usually hit Bi-Mart.  Last time I got 2 boxes of primers and a jar of Titegroup - tax free. 

If it wasn't for all the crazy bastards that live there, I'd say Oregon knows how to live :)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #1212 on: April 22, 2014, 06:37:05 PM »
I am finding stuff, but not at prices I want to pay.

Offline King Hugh

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1213 on: April 22, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »
Recent trips to walmarthave revealed ample quantities of most handgun calibers. Rifle to, just no .22.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1214 on: April 23, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
ooh - and no sales tax.  Might be worth a road trip. 

Whenever I'm south of the river I usually hit Bi-Mart.  Last time I got 2 boxes of primers and a jar of Titegroup - tax free. 

If it wasn't for all the crazy bastards that live there, I'd say Oregon knows how to live :)

Hey, I know those crazy bastards!!  No sales tax but I paid I think around $10,000 in state income tax, and $4,000 in real estate tax.  I can't pump my own gas (just like New Jersey OMG!), which is one of my treats when I cross north over the river.  But my vehicle license is a pittance compared to Washington.  In 1996 when we moved to Oregon our Subaru license went from $383/year to $35/2 years.

One of the reasons the Vancouver area has exploded in population the past 20 years. No income tax in Vancouver side, easy shopping for big items on the Portland side.  You just have to drive over a stupid DRAW-BRIDGE on I-5.  But then most growth is happening on the east side where folks can drive across I-205 (like a real interstate bridge).

I loved shopping at the Lacey Cabela's and saying "I'm from Oregon" and not have to pay tax. :)

Our local Bi-Mart has not seen powder for a loooong time.  Ammo is getting decent ($20/box pistol ammo) and fairly regular supply. But reloading supplies are just bare.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1215 on: April 23, 2014, 11:03:13 AM »
Last summer on a road trip to Bend, I hit 2 Bi-Marts, one of them twice that trip so I could max out my daily ration.

Car tabs are getting out of control in WA.  I have a 14 year old truck.  12 years ago it was less than $50 to register, today $150, and there's a (presently failing) ballot initiative to increase that by $60.

nelson96

« Reply #1216 on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
Yes!  Supposed to open this fall, right?  That will be great for a broader selection of decent prices and selection of firearms, ammo, reloading supplies, clothing, etc.  Sportsman's Warehouse, Fisherman's Supply, and Cabela's and REI are my favorite outdoor retail stores.  All will be on the west side of Portland then.

Yes, this fall some time.

I too utilize the Lacy and Tulalip (up in that area usually every other week) Cabela's and my local store in Springfield.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1217 on: April 24, 2014, 06:01:32 PM »
   My local Wal-marts is low on shotgun ammo, but lots of clay pigeons. If you don't have target loads what do you shoot the cay pigeons with. HI

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1218 on: April 25, 2014, 10:10:56 AM »
   My local Wal-marts is low on shotgun ammo, but lots of clay pigeons. If you don't have target loads what do you shoot the cay pigeons with. HI

I shoot those clay pigeons using those bricks of .22lr I got for $15.99 each the morning after Sandy Hook.  I've also used them for a cub scout bicycle rodeo in place of traffic cones

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1219 on: April 27, 2014, 12:29:10 PM »
Seeing 9mm fairly often now and .22 on even numbered tuedays for about an hour. .223 is widespread in Colorado springs, though pricey.  I guess we didn't buy them all out since can't fit them all in our 15 round mags... :P

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1220 on: April 27, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »
.223 was recently in stock here for a couple of weeks. and at pre panic pricing. the last time I had bought any was just after Newtown. I happened to be in a gun store and noticed a bit of the frenzy. I picked up a case at the time at $370/1000. Same price I been seeing it around lately.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #1221 on: April 28, 2014, 08:26:06 AM »
I just ran out of rifle powder yesterday.  A gunshow on Saturday had a few powders that could work, but I wasn't interested in experimenting for $38/lbs.

Good news I've got about qty600 55gr hornady soft points due to arrive from Natchez today.  Maybe if I get desperate I'll experiment with IMR TrailBoss.  Probably won't cycle an AR though...

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1222 on: April 28, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »

Clay pigeons are one of my favorite reactive targets for handgun and rifle out to about 100 yds.  I shoot them at the state forest gravel pit and set them up in the gravel at various distances.  We go through about 3/4 of a box per trip to the pit. Between a couple of steel plates and a box of clay pigeons we have a great time.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1223 on: May 17, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
Wally world has Winchester white box 9mm 100 round packs the last two times I have been there. about 25 cents a round.

Overpriced gun store in town has had Speer 9mm 124 grain GDHP (premium self-defense ammo) in ample supply the last three times I went. Almost $1.20 a round though.

I have not been to Wally World (two stores, four instances) in the last 2 months that did not have .223 or 7.62x39 in stock.

.22lr you still need to catch them as they stock the shelf.

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1224 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »
I stopped by my favourite local gun shop yesterday for a look around, and low and behold, the only bulk packs in stock were the Winchester 333 cartons for probably around $14 and some Remington Subsonics for $29! This same place was full of .22 LR last year and I did stock up, but it looks as though I'll have to keep on the lookout simply to make up for what I shot last summer. I'll probably pick up a box of Subsonics, as that would be good for small game hunting up in cottage country and would last a long time for that purpose, but it looks as though the shortages might finally be catching on up here.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1225 on: May 19, 2014, 04:43:50 AM »
been seeing plenty of everything except 22 which has been spotty.

prices are not pre-panic yet, and I doubt they ever will be, but they aren't quite full retard either

22 has been coming in, more of the 'semi-premium' 22s than the others

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #1226 on: May 31, 2014, 08:49:12 AM »
A salesman from my favourite gunshop told me last night that .22LR is becoming scarce up here even though everything else is available and in decent quantities and prices. It's a good thing I stocked up last year when it was still cheap and available up here, but I'll be on the lookout to top up my supplies whenever I can.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1227 on: June 01, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
Checked my Local Wally World and Dick's Sporting Goods on friday and as usual zero 22 of any kind!
 >:(   I would even be happy to see high end twenty two but have not seen that  at any gun stores i have checked!

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #1228 on: June 01, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »
Checked my Local Wally World and Dick's Sporting Goods on friday and as usual zero 22 of any kind!
 >:(   I would even be happy to see high end twenty two but have not seen that  at any gun stores i have checked!
I miss price gouging.  It least you could find something now and again.

Offline Skunkeye

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: June 04, 2014, 10:52:27 PM »
Was at Wal-Mart last night for something else, and thought I'd stroll past the ammo case just to see what was in stock.  Almost crapped myself when I saw they actually had six 100-round boxes of CCI Mini-Mags in there!  They have a 3-box limit on .22LR, so I bought three.  That's the first in-store .22LR I've scored in a long, long time.  I've gotten lucky with a couple of online, pick-up-in-store deals at Cabela's and Gander Mountain in the past few months, but I was beginning to think I'd never see it sitting on a store shelf again.