Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 107051 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Ammo shortages (2012 - 2013)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2012, 08:26:20 PM »
Why would you sell a rifle? Did you need to buy a kidney? :o
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Ragnar

• Prepper
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
I was in the Cabela's  in North West AR. (Not a huge population area) on Wed and there was still 223 Ammo and some higher $ AR's on the shelf.  They had a good amount about 40%of what they normally carry in the bulk ammo section for 223.

Today... Nada, nothing, not one single round of 223 or AR. 

Buddy owns a shop where they just started building custom AR's a little while back... They are out of everything and now placing order for delivery in June... Yep June on barrels and parts they need for assembly.  Now they have an allotment coming to them every month or at least they are suppose to but the supply chain was already stretched to get part from the places he deals with so he will have to stick with his allotment that he is already suppose to get.

Another buddy who lives in AtL went to a gun show today and was telling me he got there an hour after it started and the building was full and the line was around the building with a estimated 2 hour wait until the first person in line would be able to get in. So he left and went to a local big gun store and it was basically the same story.

I wonder how much has actually been sold in the last week.
[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://phoomp.com/hamsealtiny.png[/img]

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
...Wishing now I had waited a few weeks to sell my rifle...
   :o What does "sell my rilfle" mean? Those three words together in that order make no sense.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:32:03 PM by TexDaddy »
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2012, 09:31:09 PM »
  ::) What does "sell my rilfle" mean? Those three words together in that order make no sense.  ;)

Yoda speak?
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2012, 06:20:37 AM »
I was in academy 4 days ago, and the gun and ammo section looked like a rock concert. 5.56 and 223 were gone, same with 308, 7.62x39, 9mm, 45acp, and 40s&w. There were a couple boxes each of 380, 10mm, and 5.45x39. This store usually has a total of 40,000 rounds of the above mentioned rifle calibers total. Stocks of ammo that is usually only chambered in bolt actions, lever guns, and revolvers looked a little less than normal, except for 30-30 which was gone, but they normally didn't stock that to deep anyway.

AR and AK mags were gone, same with glock and sig mags. They normally didn't have much else in stock. All the centerfire semiauto rifles were gone, pistol supplies looked good, except for glocks were sold out, right down to the display guns.

Friday morning at srt training, the srt commander told me to get 3000 rounds each of 223 and 40s&w, all our normal sources were sold out, and wouldn't even guess as to when they may be able to fill that type of order. I sent for a quote through a distributor who only sells ammo to agencies, but haven't heard back.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2012, 05:29:25 PM »
AKs and AR's are gone. Ditto mags.

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »
   :o What does "sell my rilfle" mean? Those three words together in that order make no sense.  ;)

DITTO   :stop: :stop: :stop: :stop:
"Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never -- in nothing great or small, large or petty. Never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."   
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
Ya'll might just be poking fun.  But selling a gun might be a step toward financial freedom for someone.  Eliminating debt is something every prepper should do.  I paid off my last bill when I sold my AR, ironically, on the morning of election day.    I told myself I would get another one down the road with cash.  It was time to grow up and take care of the family.  Yeah, I'm sorta kicking myself.  There's no way any of us could have known about Sandy Hook.  But no debt is a great thing to enjoy also.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2012, 08:36:59 PM »
I've regretted selling just about every gun I have ever sold.  I have decided not to sell anymore.  I do trades from time to time though.

On topic.  The ammo thing threw me for a loop this time.  I put back some primers since that is what I couldn't get in '08, this time I can't put my hands on any bullets.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #69 on: December 25, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Selling now might put some cash in your pocket to put toward other preps (assuming you have enough guns to not miss selling one)

I have been seriously thinking of off loading a few Pmags because of all this craziness.
concordia discors

Oderint dum metuat

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #70 on: December 25, 2012, 09:11:37 PM »
Selling now might put some cash in your pocket to put toward other preps (assuming you have enough guns to not miss selling one)

I have been seriously thinking of off loading a few Pmags because of all this craziness.

If pmags get to $150. I could part with a few...
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #71 on: December 25, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »
Oh, this is cool.  I'm cleaning out the upstairs and see a couple of Victoria Secret bags in the corner, you know, the pink candy stripe ones with the hot pink tissue paper sticking out?  So what makes that so exciting?  Well, there's a dozen loaded mags in it!  Wow, this week that's worth $1,300.  Seems like back when they were put there (6 mo ago?) it cost about $200., ammo and all. 

Too bad I don't have those guns anymore, but I'm sure someone will want the mags before they are banned.

~TG

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2012, 05:54:37 PM »
Oh, this is cool.  I'm cleaning out the upstairs and see a couple of Victoria Secret bags in the corner, you know, the pink candy stripe ones with the hot pink tissue paper sticking out?  So what makes that so exciting?  Well, there's a dozen loaded mags in it!  Wow, this week that's worth $1,300.  Seems like back when they were put there (6 mo ago?) it cost about $200., ammo and all. 

Too bad I don't have those guns anymore, but I'm sure someone will want the mags before they are banned.

~TG
Yep, in times like these it just makes sense to sell off these expensive safe-queens so you can stock up on important stuff.  I've made a few sales myself.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline 11 Bravo

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2012, 07:40:13 AM »
My usually very well stocked Wally World is cleaned out and hasn't been restocked for a couple weeks....
1st-30th Infantry, 3rd Infantry Division

Offline Melting

• Prepper
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
I'm not seeing any shortages of ammo, despite Obama winning re-election.  I think manufactures geared up big time for higher production.

What are you guys seeing?  I don't want to go out and buy a bunch of ammo when I don't need to.

Thoughts?

What a difference a few weeks can make.

I guess we both needed to. I was so busy stocking up on 9 and .380, that I got caught with only a couple hundred 6.8 when the balloon went up. :-(

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2012, 06:20:47 AM »
Yep, in times like these it just makes sense to sell off these expensive safe-queens so you can stock up on important stuff.  I've made a few sales myself.

I hear what you're saying, but it seems that the guns that people regret the most are the ones that they sold, not the ones they didn't purchase.  So while I've considered selling a gun or two, I keep thinking they would be better served as barter if the time should come.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »
I hear what you're saying, but it seems that the guns that people regret the most are the ones that they sold, not the ones they didn't purchase.  So while I've considered selling a gun or two, I keep thinking they would be better served as barter if the time should come.

If Feinstein's proposed bill goes through, there will be a lot of people selling firearm's who don't want to apply for the $200 tax stamp on each AW they own.  Thus floody the market with rifles, which means great deals for those that do want to pay for the tax stamp. . . .  This is a good time to build a savings account so that you can jump on this opportunity.

Requires owners of existing “assault weapons” to register them with the federal government under the National Firearms Act (NFA). The NFA imposes a $200 tax per firearm, and requires an owner to submit photographs and fingerprints to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), to inform the BATFE of the address where the firearm will be kept, and to obtain the BATFE’s permission to transport the firearm across state lines.

http://nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/feinstein-goes-for-broke-with-new-gun-ban-bill.aspx
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2012, 02:07:05 PM »

Still not seeing much .22LR here in my town.  Wally world is out (both of them), Dunham's is out, Dick's did just got some in, but I bet they are out by the weekend.

dunhams had 7.62x39mm, plenty actually....no .223 or 5.56.   I'd say other than .22, .223 and 5.56, you can find it easily ....maybe not what you are regularly buying, but its there.
--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
If Feinstein's proposed bill goes through, there will be a lot of people selling firearm's who don't want to apply for the $200 tax stamp on each AW they own.  Thus floody the market with rifles, which means great deals for those that do want to pay for the tax stamp. . . .  This is a good time to build a savings account so that you can jump on this opportunity.

Very interesting theory.  I hope you are right. Typically, a surplus of product on the market leads to lower prices.  Do you all think this will apply in this case?  Some folks might be anxious to dump their hardware, but some of us might be anxious to purchase also.  I'd say this might be tough to predict.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline cep89

• Survivor
« Reply #79 on: December 28, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
I was at Bass pro shop, they were totally out of 9mm,  12ga 00 buck, bricks of 22lr.

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #80 on: December 28, 2012, 06:46:34 PM »
went to a local shop today,(issaquah) they usually have ar's, shotguns,pistols and some hunting rifles and a small section for ammo mostly a black gun shop.
ar's were all gone,so were shotguns but i was surprised when i looked in the pistol case's xd's ,glocks ,sigs ,ect were still there.
this is a small shop usually only  4 feet of isle devoted to ammo.and some cases on the two isle end caps.
ammo was real low. Price were  avg.
 no 9 mm. a couple of bricks of 22lr .308  half a dozen boxes left .
45 auto was all fmj left 5 boxes
surprised they had plenty of 44 mag so i lowered their inventory a couple of boxes on that.
“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #81 on: December 28, 2012, 09:17:33 PM »

http://nraila.org/legislation/federal-legislation/2012/feinstein-goes-for-broke-with-new-gun-ban-bill.aspx

Not really because of this section:

Prohibits the transfer of “assault weapons.” Owners of other firearms, including those covered by the NFA, are permitted to sell them or pass them to heirs. However, under Feinstein’s new bill, “assault weapons” would remain with their current owners until their deaths, at which point they would be forfeited to the government.

They would become worthless because you can't sell them.

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #82 on: December 28, 2012, 09:40:46 PM »
I was looking at holsters for the wife and both stores were out of 223, 9mm and 40. Small amounts of 22 and a decent amount of game loads and target loads.

My wife gave me a Lone Wolf 9mm barrel for my G27 and I can't find any magazine for the G26 to use with it.
--------------------------

Scott

"Chance favors the prepared mind."  Louis Pasteur
TSP Members Support Brigade

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2012, 10:20:41 PM »
Not really because of this section:

Prohibits the transfer of “assault weapons.” Owners of other firearms, including those covered by the NFA, are permitted to sell them or pass them to heirs. However, under Feinstein’s new bill, “assault weapons” would remain with their current owners until their deaths, at which point they would be forfeited to the government.

They would become worthless because you can't sell them.

True . . .  I guess I'm counting on some kind of grace period where people will be given time to get their ducks in a row.  It will certainly take some time for everyone to get their paperwork in order if they plan to keep them. 

Any way you look at it we're probably all screwed in the end.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2012, 11:07:35 PM »
I think Nelson is on to something.  The verbiage of the bill might prohibit the transfer, but I expect a significant frenzy of buying and selling right BEFORE the bill passes (while is is still legal).

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #85 on: December 28, 2012, 11:14:34 PM »
They have us all talking like this is about to go into effect... in essence, they haven't even introduced the legislation and we are all talking about how we are going live after it's passed, like they have won.

Talk about putting the cart in front of the horse... ???

Brian K.

W1CDP

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #86 on: December 28, 2012, 11:20:49 PM »
They have us all talking like this is about to go into effect... in essence, they haven't even introduced the legislation and we are all talking about how we are going live after it's passed, like they have won.

Talk about putting the cart in front of the horse... ???

Are we?  Or are we simply expressing our concern, our outrage, and some thoughts on how to live with it in the even that it does pass?  Nothing wrong with preperation in figuring out a way to make it hurt less while at the same time you share how to help prevent it.  I figure it's better than just sitting around and watching it happen and doing nothing.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2012, 11:49:37 PM »
I guess I'm just not hearing the outrage in what I'm reading... and I know forums are a terrible place to interpret emotions...

In my mind, the whole registration thing is a red herring anyway, they float it out there, listen to the outrage, hopefully, and then pull it off the table, but pass the rest and tells us that they were listening to us... see we compromised and didn't make you register your existing guns, only new ones... aren't we good to you?

Brian K.

W1CDP

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2012, 11:55:03 PM »
I guess I'm just not hearing the outrage in what I'm reading... and I know forums are a terrible place to interpret emotions...

In my mind, the whole registration thing is a red herring anyway, they float it out there, listen to the outrage, hopefully, and then pull it off the table, but pass the rest and tells us that they were listening to us... see we compromised and didn't make you register your existing guns, only new ones... aren't we good to you?

This particular thread has three pages to sift through and is probably not the right topic for voicing the felt outrage over an AWB.  There are many other threads here that do.  Hopefully they read those.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2012, 12:01:59 AM »
Yep, let's get back on topic here. This thread is about ammo shortages, not AWB or any other legislation. As mentioned, there are other threads for that topic.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?