Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 86606 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:42:40 AM »
I'm not seeing any shortages of ammo, despite Obama winning re-election.  I think manufactures geared up big time for higher production.

What are you guys seeing?  I don't want to go out and buy a bunch of ammo when I don't need to.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 05:22:37 PM by TwoBluesMama »

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline cbowseriii

• Prepper
  • ANIMIS OPIBUSQUE PARATI
    • The Institute for Personal Safety
Re: Ammo shortages (2012 - 2013)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:13 AM »
Just went to our quaterly gun show here in Plant City and there was plenty of ammo. Better yet, the price had not increased. I did have a friend tell me their ammo went up five bucks but I don't know where they got it.
NRA Instructor

The Institute for Personal Safety

https://www.facebook.com/IFPSllc

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 11:33:45 AM »
Not seeing an increase, in fact I have seen a lot of Black Friday specials on factory ammo that are lower than I've seen in months.  My brother just got his order filled on 300G .338 Lapua bullets that was on B/O for 6 months, which tells me that maybe they have caught up and are now finally able to ship the odd stuff.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:12:22 PM »
At the local gun show 2 weeks ago ammo was being bought up faster then twinkies ;D One guy walked in with 10 thousand dollars and bought out a vendor. By sunday there was no ammo on the floor. My local wal mart has nearly empty shelves. Only stuff available is odd ball calibers.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 03:09:47 PM »
Nothing really short here in the Springs.  Wal_Mart is out of a few ammo brands (Federal 55 grain .223) but most of them are things they are sold out of half the time anyway.

Sportsman's Warehouse- No shortages, no price increase I have seen.

Online- Even the cheap stuff is starting to come back at a bit of a price increase.  Initially all the Wolf and other el cheapo stuff that was not as bad as Tula (which largely stayed in stock)

Sales are definitely up, prices are up and I am not buying ammo right now (I have plenty), but it definitely isnt a crisis like the winter of ought eight - ought nine.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
Our suppliers have informed us that ammo will only be available on allottment. We used to be able to order whatever they had in stock. At least for now, we will only be able to order limited quantities at a time. Sales are definetly up. If you see deals, go for it, i don't see prices going down much anytime soon. But I wouldn't recommend paying much higher prices now than a month ago. If we really see a huge tightening up of the supply, I'll relay the message here.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 06:45:22 PM »
Our suppliers have informed us that ammo will only be available on allottment. We used to be able to order whatever they had in stock. At least for now, we will only be able to order limited quantities at a time. Sales are definetly up. If you see deals, go for it, i don't see prices going down much anytime soon. But I wouldn't recommend paying much higher prices now than a month ago. If we really see a huge tightening up of the supply, I'll relay the message here.

My experience and info is similar.

I've seen shortages on shelves of some of the mid- to higher-end ammo.  As examples:  I can't seem to find any Black Hills .223 in 77-gr, or Hornady TAP in 75gr, American Eagle 223 in 55 or 62gr or 308 in 147/149/150.

Winchester USA .223 in 55 seems also  be hard to find as is the Marine Corps newest round (but those are blemishes, anyway).

There's plenty of lower-end, plinking ammo and still lots of hunting-grade ammo out there, though.

The Professor

On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »
 :popcorn:
There is no $50 job that I can't do without a $100 worth of new tools.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:36:48 PM »
I had some worries initially, but it looks like the manufacturers may have learned their lesson from the last election.  Anything that I had seen disappear has been restocked already (not even two weeks).  The places that haven't been restocked look to be a fault with the retailer and not a supply issue.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2012, 09:46:43 PM »
.308 for plinking seems to be fairly dry to the point I've considering getting into reloading, and added reloading as one of my "13 in 13".  Most of what is on the shelf (if at all) is match grade and pretty pricey in the half dozen stores I frequent.

Offline Doomtrooper

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 12:29:40 AM »
So far nothing that I can see, but I will say that the prices in my local area have gone up just a bit.
"Since it is likely that [children] will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."- C. S. Lewis

"I want to be best remembered for my deeds and actions" -ME

"Will yourself to stand ready and courageous on the battlefield. In this way, all that is difficult or dangerous will be yours."
- The Way of the Samurai

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2012, 01:09:29 AM »
.308 for plinking seems to be fairly dry to the point I've considering getting into reloading, and added reloading as one of my "13 in 13".  Most of what is on the shelf (if at all) is match grade and pretty pricey in the half dozen stores I frequent.
Yeah no surplus to be found. :'(

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2012, 07:13:28 AM »
My mega walmart added a larger case to store ammo  ;D Its been packed to over flowing for about three weeks now 

It's a thing of beauty  ;)

Ya know, the more I think about it the madder I get.  Our motto, what we believed down in our heart, went something like this "ye though I walk through the Valley of Death we will fear no evil...for we are the baddest mother strawberry pickers in the Valley".

FAILURE TO PLAN ON YOUR PART DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AN EMERGENCY ON MY PART

Offline Bolomark

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
went to gun show last weekend in Puyallup and the ammo supply looked the same.a couple of vendors with the usual pallets full and then the smaller tables were full.prices seemed average.

“There is no such thing as pure good or pure evil, least of all in people. In the best of us there are thoughts or deeds that are wicked, and in the worst of us, at least some virtue. An adversary is not one who does loathsome acts for their own sake. He always has a reason that to him is justification. My cat eats mice. Does that make him bad? I don't think so, and the cat doesn't think so, but I would bet the mice have a different opinion.”
? Terry Goodkind, Wizard's First Rule

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
During lunch break I stopped at the local Sportsmen Warehouse - there was a line at the gun counter waiting for some of the really nice deals they had.  Some of the ammo was harder to find, and not quite as much of it.  I grabbed the 2nd to last CCI large rifle primers so I would have some when I reload 308.   I did spot one guy with over 8, 1 lb containers of powder in his basket.  Some of the Walmart stores did have some low stock / no stock in some of the brands.  The larger gun store seemed well stocked up and I did not see the panic buying I saw in 2008 (yet).

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 09:23:40 PM »
I visited a gun store up here in Canade earlier today, and it seemed as if they still had decent stock (including some .45ACP bulk packs that I felt tempted to buy) but I could see shortages develop in the upcoming months as they've already begun with firearms. Even Ruger 10/22s sell out as soon as they arrive according to the salesman I spoke to as I picked up the second last of an 870 Express Tactical Shotgun that I wanted to get while it was still available and at a nice price. He sold lots of them earlier and said that the last one will likely sell within the next 1-2 days.

I've got lots of reloading gear plus regular ammo, but might stock up on a couple of bricks of .22LR and maybe 1-2 bulk packs of .45ACP or some pistol primers. I hope that the US gun industry is better equipped to meet demand this time, since we benefit whenever new people enter into the sport.

Offline cptd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 01:47:32 AM »
No shortage of any kind here in my little corner of Georgia. If anything, there have been some good deals at my favorite gun store lately, although I haven't bought any lately as I simply don't need it.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2012, 02:21:36 AM »
Online some things are disappearing. Not everything, but the most common bullets and powders are getting harder to come by, and primers have really gone up in price.  Locally our small discount store just got in a BOAT LOAD of ammo and guns and they have some good sales going on.  Where normally you have to wait for a counter person to wander along to help with ammo and gun purchases, Black Friday they had four clerks hustling around stocking shelves and helping people.  A ton of .22LR ammo which is not typical.  A triple ton of bulk pistol ammo.  Pretty well stocked with powders except VARGET of course (and after I left they are now low on H335).

So overall I would say locally they are much better stocked this week than typical and prices have not gone up except on primers.  A LOT of guys were at the range today (black Friday) and most 20s-30s and were shooting AR15s.  Seeing many more Garands at the range in the last year as well.  The shooting sports and commerce are alive and well in this area.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline blueyedmule

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 06:09:07 AM »
Bi-Mart (PacNW chain store) is running a pretty good deal on .223 brass cartridge, mil-spec primer for $6.49 per box of 20, limit 4 bx per day. If you want more at a bite, 500 rd of Hornady for I think it was $179? So if you're burning gas getting four boxes a day the Hornady rounds price out. My hotel is next to a Bi-Mart anyway, so I shop daily.

Now black gun stuff, that's another story. Seems like lots of the online folks are out or back-ordered on parts and many weapons are as well. I'm waiting in line for my S&W M&P 15 Sport. Spike's Tactical says they're 8-12 months behind on their parts and fully built weapons. Others seem cleaned out, especially at the lower price points.

On the other hand, I found hi-cap mags pretty easy and without getting gouged. Picked up last year's model of Magpul PMags for $12.25 with free shipping. That isn't astounding, but it wasn't price-gouging either, and availability seems still pretty good for the most part with some online vendors that are more popular having some shortages.
"God created Arrakis to train the faithful."

Offline Rugerfan

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 05:19:56 PM »
My AO here in GA there is hardly any 9mm or .45 ammo on hand at either Walmart. Plenty of Common caliber rifle though except .22

Offline Connecticut Prepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »
I can't really complain, I have been able to get the ammo I needed/wanted when I needed it, prices even seem to have stayed the same...for now

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 01:36:50 AM »
Was at Fleet Farm tonight and they had everything very well stocked. They had 7.62x39mm on strippers, 1120rd sealed tin in wooden crate for $220ish. I have never seen them for same in that quantity on the shelf. I am going to run back an grab a couple, as I can pay cash.

But it appears that there is no shortage of anything. Shotgun, hunting, handgun, and sporting style rifle rounds were all available.  Nothing was a super good deal, all was priced normal.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 07:16:35 AM »
I was at Farm & Fleet (South of the Cheddar Curtain) and the shelves were pretty full.  They had 9, 40, 45, .223, 7.62x39, and loads of shotgun shells of all types.   Prices weren't great, but they never are when you buy by the box and not the case. 
On Black friday I got two very good deals on 9mm (500 rounds), and 7.62x39 (1,000 rounds).  In both cases, with shipping, I had a cost per round that was lower than I've been able to find in several months.  Still not 2005, but what is?
People with guns but no food will discover that people with food have guns too.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
I was just in the gun shop. They had lots and lots. I only bought 2 boxes of 5.56 for trial, $13 each.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 03:12:10 AM »
Went by wal mart then the gun shop. Wal mart was pretty empty. The gun shop had ample.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 03:23:50 AM »
Bought 880 rounds of steel core 7.62x54R and two boxes of .38 Special SJHP (100 rounds) for $207 delivered to my door.

Got these as a Christmas present for my friend.  Ho ho ho.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 12:50:03 PM »
Walmart and Meijer are cheaper than Dicks and Basspro which are cheaper than gun shops.  Nothing at the Walmart and Meijer, nothing but the more expensive calibers at Dicks and Basspro, and plenty at the gun shops, but they gouge you around here.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 04:32:44 PM »
I can tell you this....a guy that I work with has a daughter that works at a large retail sporting goods/hunting store in my area. Ever since the election, they have not been able to keep ammo in stock, the lines have been out of the gun section, and people are purchasing ammo in thousand dollar purchases at a time. - FACT!
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline otowner98

• Senior Survivalist
  • Tu ne cede malis
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:12 PM »
Bought 880 rounds of steel core 7.62x54R and two boxes of .38 Special SJHP (100 rounds) for $207 delivered to my door.

Got these as a Christmas present for my friend.  Ho ho ho.

And THAT, sir, makes you a truly great friend! 

Also, all of the ammo I ordered on Black Friday has shipped, so "in stock" wasn't B.S.  The only thing on back-order is the Mags
People with guns but no food will discover that people with food have guns too.