Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 113607 times)

Online flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: Ammo shortages (2012 - 2013)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 01:05:47 AM »
And THAT, sir, makes you a truly great friend! 

Also, all of the ammo I ordered on Black Friday has shipped, so "in stock" wasn't B.S.  The only thing on back-order is the Mags

What can I say?  We're not exactly a "socks and fruitcake" group of friends!  Also plussed up on mags for Household 6.  She's getting extra AK mags and XD9 mags (no backorder).  I guess it depends on where you're shopping.  I haven't seen any roadblocks with my sources.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical
Frontier Tactical on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »
Do you worry about op-sec when you mention exactly what you purchased, or is it a non-starter for you?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
I revisited a few stores after Thanksgiving rush - noticed
1) Walmart was out of some of the common ammo
2) Sportsmen was down, but no real outages - most of the CCI primers are out of stock
3) receiving some e-mail from online venders I have supported in the past about increases in price for the 7.62x39 ammo
4) the 5.45 ammo has gone up in price about 20% over the last 6 months.

Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Online flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 10:31:18 AM »
Well, we don't break any laws (that we're aware of), we maintain attorneys on retainer, and in this day and age there really isn't any 'reasonable expectation of privacy' anywhere.  I'd imagine they have all of our purchasing and banking information at their fingertips already.  If they were looking to go after someone, there are 1) criminals with much more firepower than us, and 2) much bigger fish in the 'prepper' community.

Besides, we have more important things to worry about than Big Brother knowing what type of lingerie and pistol magazines I bought for the wife's Christmas presents.  One of them being TEOTWAWKI.

;)
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
Do you worry about op-sec when you mention exactly what you purchased, or is it a non-starter for you?

Why would what he purchased be an opsec issue? Just curious. Alot of people on here talk about what they have and what they have done, but as long as the other guy has no clue about where he actually is or other personal details I don't see that it would be an opsec issue. Now, with that being said....I don't go around blabbing to people I see in everyday life about everything I am doing, and where I am doing it at. Being on a board like this gives you a platform to share certain things and still maintain your anonymity if you keep your wits about you.
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Online flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2012, 11:16:55 AM »
Besides, I'm a big fan of disinformation.  How does anyone here know what I'm saying is true?

;)
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook
Frontier Tactical

Offline ForgedPatriot

• Senior Survivalist
  • Scaring the general public since 68'
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
Besides, I'm a big fan of disinformation.  How does anyone here know what I'm saying is true?

;)

Perfect...LMBO!   ;D
US Army 87'-90'
Ft. Bliss, White Sands, Holloman AFB
Intendo Certo Ictu

~ForgedPatriot

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 07:53:07 PM »
Every one knows that everyone posts her is a pre-puberty, over weight, and destine to live in their parents basement until their late 20's.    Their highest goal in life is to be a ninja, tact-cool mall cop.

So any hardware that they talk about is just something they saw referenced in the latest version of modern warfare video game.

or not  :o
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:02 PM »
Well, I said I would update if there was any big changes.  If you haven't noticed already, there has been a HUGE rush on guns and ammo since about Saturday.  We sold out of ARs, including receivers (stripped, complete lowers, and complete uppers) on Tuesday (we are closed Sun/Mon), our AK variants are dwindling, semi-auto pistols, especially 9mm, and pump and semi-auto shotguns have been hit.  The worst by far are the ARs and the 9mms.  We have heard from one manufacturer that everyone's prices will be jumping on ARs, I'm not talking 10-20%, I'm talking 50-100% or more.  Manufacturers can't keep up, so they are going to be running extra shifts in an effort to keep producing.  Ammo and accessories flew out today.  Get it now, while the getting is good.  Everyone jokes with us about how great of a problem this is for us, and sure, it's nice to be busy, but deep down, we are really bothered by this.  It isn't fun for us to tell people that yesterdays prices are no longer valid, and then we contact our wholesalers and they have nothing to restock us with. 
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline hackalar

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
It's over!   :'(

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 09:46:09 AM »
MidwayUSA is COMPLETELY sold out of all standard-capacity AR-15 magazines now.  Good thing I bought some at the gun show.

I have been trying to get 1000 round cases of .223/5.56; the prices are ATROCIOUS.  I bought Georgia State Ammunition's LAST packages at 30 cents a round.  Everywhere I go (including gun show), I am seeing prices as high as 45 cents a round, and not much any lower than that.

My local gun shop is completely sold out of SS109 (5.56 ball).

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2012, 09:50:23 AM »
This is just my guestimation, but in 2008 folks were more afraid of them going after ammo, thus the 2008-2009 shortage.  Now, a lot of folks are pretty set on ammo and while there is definitely a short-term run, the fact that most of the talk is around the weapons, not the ammo, I suspect this will drop off and availability will come back by springtime.

That said, one mere mention of going after ammo and all bets are off.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Veritas

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »
The store I was at yesterday was already completely out of all AR's and AR magazines. There was a guy there that bought the last 6 of those high capacity (30 round) Glock pistol mags at I think 50 or 60 bucks each.
"Never give in! Never give in! Never, never, never, never -- in nothing great or small, large or petty. Never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense."   
- Winston Churchill

Ya Better Hold Fast!

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2012, 12:43:57 PM »
SGAmmo shows zero availability in any caliber, including shot gun shells.
"In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security.
They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all - security,
comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again."
- Edward Gibbon

Online Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2012, 01:09:55 PM »
Ammoman.com website said they were not taking new orders for about 7 days to have time to process the orders already in hand.
Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have.
 - Ronald Reagan

Offline Bonnieblue2A

• Dedicated Contributor
  • TSP Forum/MSB member
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2012, 01:29:07 PM »
Ammoman.com website said they were not taking new orders for about 7 days to have time to process the orders already in hand.
To be accurate, their website states they are about 7 days behind in shipping orders. That the closure is temporary until they catch up on current orders.

Sorry to be nit picky but Eric has given me outstanding customer service over the years. There is already enough disinformation floating about with the current surge in purchases in the firearms industry and support industries. We don't need to be a source of that on this forum, IMO. YMMV

http://www.ammoman.com/StoreClosed.htm

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution, for if the American Constitution should fail, there will be anarchy throughout the world.” –U.S. Senator Daniel Webster (1782-1852)

When the poo hits the fan my dog will have just shredded the last roll of toilet paper.

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2012, 01:32:23 PM »
Just visited local sporting goods store.  All AR-15s are sold, all mags, glocks, etc are gone.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2012, 02:47:33 PM »
The Academy store here is out of all 5.56 and .223. There is very little .22. There was plenty of 9mm and .45 ACP and lots of shotgun shells.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline 16onRockandRoll

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prepper Wannabe
« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2012, 04:13:26 PM »
I'm noticing vendors getting low on buckshot too. Just another heads up.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2012, 08:46:50 PM »
Here in the the south Metro of Minnesota, supplies are holding up. There are a few people trying to sell stuff at a premium, but the stores have not raised prices, and are not out of stock. Dicks pulled the ARs, several AK47s was still in stock. Ammo was a plenty at WallMart(this store does not sell ARs, but had lots of shotguns). Fleet Farm looked like it had more in stock than usual, lots of scary black rifles of every make. They were out of standard capacity GLOCK 9mm Magazines. But had plenty of 30  round mags. They were due to be restocked with a double supply today. Sales are definitely up, but I do not think we are seeing the mass purchase that the rest of the US is seeing. I was talking with a few friends, and we concluded that most people had already stocked up after the other shortages. Most of my shooting buddies buy ammo online by the case.

Sales online at most sites are jacked.

PokeShell

”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
~Clint Eastwood

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I have not been able to find any ss109 ammo anywhere at a reasonable price,

Cheaper than dirt $899 for 1000 rounds doesn't count as reasonable.

I generally buy my ammo online by the case myself and am not finding anything worth buying.

Thank goodness for airsoft and 22LR conversions.

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »
SGAmmo shows zero availability in any caliber, including shot gun shells.

From SGAMMO:
Attention SGAmmo Customers - We will be closed December 22nd through December 31th for the Holidays. We are currently working on filling the orders that have been received up to this point. At this time we cannot accept any more orders for shipping before the break period. During the holiday break we will be offering a very limited selection of products which will be sold by the factory full case only, which will begin shipping on the 1st of January but expect delays of 5 to 7 days after that. We will resume a normal product line on January 1st.

They must have gotten hammered because they generally just accept case orders over Christmas.  They must give their employees a week off.

Cheaper than Dirt are known for jacking up prices every chance they get.

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2012, 11:33:18 PM »
I just tried to order an AR-15 upper half from Rock River.  Got this message.  Not sure if it is annual maintenance or driven by current events.

Due to website maintenance and software updates, ordering will be disabled and unavailable on this website until Wednesday morning, Dec. 26, 2012.
We apologize for an inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I just tried to order an AR-15 upper half from Rock River.  Got this message.  Not sure if it is annual maintenance or driven by current events.

Due to website maintenance and software updates, ordering will be disabled and unavailable on this website until Wednesday morning, Dec. 26, 2012.
We apologize for an inconvenience, and thank you for your understanding.

It's most likely caused by a combination of current events and Christmas.

I just had a conversation with a dealer friend of mine.  Here's how bad and panicky it is:   Wednesday, Davidson's, one of the largest suppliers of firearms, opened their warehouse for shipping at 8 a.m.   They had to shut down their order systems at 9 a.m. because they simply cannot fulfill orders as fast as they're coming in.

Combine that type of volume with the fact that some people actually want to celebrate Christmas, and you'll have 4 days of uninterrupted panic-buying to deal with when you come back on the 26th.   That would put the staff so far behind that they might not be able to recover.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline nimzy88

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
At our range we sell mostly reload so ammo hasn't been the issue. THe most difficult thing to find out there right now seems to be P-Mags. They will be the premium as they are most likely to be the first thing banned.

That being said all of our black rifles from Sigs to Rock River and Daniel are sold out.  Thats Vegas. I talked to my dad in Wisconsin and all the AR's there seem to have disappeared.

The inventive geniuses for the lower class criminals are
generally professional criminals, while the inventive geniuses for many kinds of white-collar crime are generally lawyers
Edwin Sutherland "White-Collar Criminality" (1940)

One Life One Chance. So make the most of every moment. No regrets only lessons learned

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
I was at our local Gander Mountain today and the only centerfire rifle ammo on the shelf was 30-06. Everything else was gone.

All the handgun ammo was pretty well picked over.

Tried to contact a gunsmith at our local indoor range and he had been moved to sales indefinitely because they had so many customers. 

What's folk's opinion on the landscape going forward?  I know after the election I thought the panicky folks would burn out and things would normalize. 

Thisseems different to me.  I can't see prices leveling out or inventories coming back for a while.  I know a lot of guys who drug their feet on buying an AR and now are ready to pay 2k for one so I think even after they get another round of restocking done it will come off the shelves just as fast.  Ammo the same.

What do you guys think?

All the TV says is people want gun legislation yet gun stores are bursting at the seems.....
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2012, 06:33:11 PM »
I was at our local Gander Mountain today and the only centerfire rifle ammo on the shelf was 30-06. Everything else was gone.

You've got to be kidding, all but 30-06?  I wonder why that wasn't that taken up too?  Gander Mountain must stock odd calibers that wouldn't be as sought after as 30-06.  But, regardless, all, really?
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline Brownlow

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
I was out to Walmart yesterday. They were pretty empty on ammo. I guess people are buying because they think it's going up in price next year.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2012, 08:08:14 PM »
Just talked to a friend that works the Houston gun shows.

Today, .223/5.56 ammo was selling for about $1/ round in case quantities.  Same for 9 mm JHP and .40 JHP.  Stripped AR 15 lowers (that were $100-$125 last week) were selling for $500+.  Complete AR's anywhere from $2,000-$3,000.  P-mags $85, USGI mags (new in plastic) $75 each.  Glock hi-capacity mags...  well, there went any.

Wishing now I had waited a few weeks to sell my rifle...

~TG

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2012, 08:16:27 PM »
Wishing now I had waited a few weeks to sell my rifle...

Wait!, what, you sold your rifle?
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late