Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 403496 times)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2013, 06:12:23 AM »
Except for reloading supplies, makes me glad I got various needs/wants taken care of prior to this mess.

Offline lowland farmer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2013, 07:28:59 AM »
Except for reloading supplies, makes me glad I got various needs/wants taken care of prior to this mess.

Yep. Always buy what you need NOW. Most of my ammo was bought when it was $60/1,000 rds. Firearms training is also something that should be taken care of now. Expect it to be banned. Buy your long-term storage food NOW. Freeze-dried food is now three times what it was when I bought four years' worth (for three people). You will save money and you will HAVE it when you need it. As for reloading, I've been reloading .44 mag. and .45ACP stuff for decades, but someday reloading will be banned too. If not, the prices will go up, so buy it now and save (actually, you should have bought it before the rush and today's high prices!).

nelson96

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2013, 08:00:18 AM »
Most of my ammo was bought when it was $60/1,000 rds.

How old are you  ;)

endurance

« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2013, 08:52:37 AM »
I went to the range the other day and while I usually just blow through a couple hundred rounds and worry about back stocking until I'm ready to order another 1,000, this time I decided to pay the inflated prices to keep my cache topped off.  I'm not sure if this is wise or contrary to common sense.  I've seen all kinds of new legislation and nothing I've seen indicates that ammunition supplies are in jeopardy in the long run, everything seems like a supply and demand issue.

I could sure save myself a lot of money if I'd just be patient and wait six or nine months to resupply when 9mm is back under $200/1,000 (I generally pay around $180/1,000 for reloads, which is why I don't reload myself).  Now the cheapest I'm finding is $238/1,000 and it's backordered for 1-2 months.

nelson96

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2013, 09:00:15 AM »
I went to the range the other day and while I usually just blow through a couple hundred rounds and worry about back stocking until I'm ready to order another 1,000, this time I decided to pay the inflated prices to keep my cache topped off.  I'm not sure if this is wise or contrary to common sense.  I've seen all kinds of new legislation and nothing I've seen indicates that ammunition supplies are in jeopardy in the long run, everything seems like a supply and demand issue.

I could sure save myself a lot of money if I'd just be patient and wait six or nine months to resupply when 9mm is back under $200/1,000 (I generally pay around $180/1,000 for reloads, which is why I don't reload myself).  Now the cheapest I'm finding is $238/1,000 and it's backordered for 1-2 months.

I agree with you endurance, but I think this resupply will take longer than the last time we had supply issues and I don't think we'll see prices like we are used to for a very long time, if ever. . . .  Which could have nothing to do with any gun ban and everything to do with current and future costs of doing business.  We may even see some companies closing doors again and when competition goes away, so does lower prices.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2013, 09:28:27 AM »

I purchased reloading supplies years ago and practiced the skill/hobby, not due to the prices of ammo at the time, but for the prices of ammo in the future.  I purchased the press and supplies at "yesterday's prices".

I recently found a few boxes of .40 cal (qty 50 rounds) in the back of my storage with price tags of $5.95.  I must have purchased those in the late 90s!  I miss those days.

endurance

« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2013, 09:31:45 AM »
I agree with you endurance, but I think this resupply will take longer than the last time we had supply issues and I don't think we'll see prices like we are used to for a very long time, if ever. . . .  Which could have nothing to do with any gun ban and everything to do with current and future costs of doing business.  We may even see some companies closing doors again and when competition goes away, so does lower prices.
I'm kind of seeing the opposite, with more folks who own a Dillon 550 deciding that chunking out 500-600 rounds an hour isn't a bad way to make a little money on the side as long as the prices are high.  It might not be worth it to them when 5.56 is selling for $350/1,000, but at $850/1,000 there's a pretty nice profit in there for them.

nelson96

« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »
I'm kind of seeing the opposite, with more folks who own a Dillon 550 deciding that chunking out 500-600 rounds an hour isn't a bad way to make a little money on the side as long as the prices are high.  It might not be worth it to them when 5.56 is selling for $350/1,000, but at $850/1,000 there's a pretty nice profit in there for them.

Which still supports at least part of my post.  They won't be able to compete unless they ask more for it . . .  Prices are going up boys.

endurance

« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2013, 09:46:43 AM »
Makes me wish I'd invested in a brass mine.  ;)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
Woohoo!  I got in on a group buy of a drum of .223 (I think that's 13,600 rounds), and I am getting 2K rounds at 30 cents per round!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2013, 02:16:49 PM »
Woohoo!  I got in on a group buy of a drum of .223 (I think that's 13,600 rounds), and I am getting 2K rounds at 30 cents per round!

Seems like yesterday that was the retail price when bought in commercial 20 round cardboard boxes :(

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2013, 03:36:13 PM »
Seems like yesterday that was the retail price when bought in commercial 20 round cardboard boxes :(

Yeah, I know.  I hope it will go down, but I just can't see it with the prospect of a civil war on the horizon...

nelson96

« Reply #132 on: January 03, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »

It was just a year ago I paid that price (.30 a piece) for buying 1000 rounds and it came with a brand new metal 50mm ammo can.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #133 on: January 03, 2013, 05:19:08 PM »
Living less than an hour north of an Army base (JBLM) I had taken for granted spent brass, pulled bullets and even mil surp powder would always be in supply locally for me.
In early november I could get 1000 62gr 5.56 bullet (not rounds) for $60. 

Nothing but crickets when I email these dudes now...

Offline lowland farmer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2013, 07:20:04 PM »
How old are you  ;)

That's what Wolf AK ammo was selling for at Sportman's Guide around 2003 to 2006 ($60 to $70/1,000 rds). Cheap ammo was the main reason I went with AKs. I just ordered 2,000 rds from them at $220/1,000, even though I have plenty. I will not post how much I have, but I will never run out. :)

nelson96

« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:24 PM »
That's what Wolf AK ammo was selling for at Sportman's Guide around 2003 to 2006 ($60 to $70/1,000 rds). Cheap ammo was the main reason I went with AKs. I just ordered 2,000 rds from them at $220/1,000, even though I have plenty. I will not post how much I have, but I will never run out. :)

Ahhhh . . .  I assumed it was .223 or 5.56

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2013, 02:18:13 PM »
I live in a smaller town in North Florida.  Our Wal-Mart has been out of 9mm and .22 since before Christmas.  They say they don't know when they are going to get them back in.  I bought the last box of .30/30 at Christmas and they haven't gotten those in either. 

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
Stopped by the local shop today.  Not one semi auto in stock except a used AK with a 1K price tag.  Ammo was available, but 2 box per customer limit.  Reloading supplies fully in stock.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2013, 05:48:41 PM »
Ammo was available, but 2 box per customer limit.  Reloading supplies fully in stock.

Not a drop of .223 in Houston. Of course, I have not even tried to buy anything after my experience on Wednesday.

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2013, 07:04:13 PM »
In the Idaho area, ammo is still on the shelf and available. 223 and 22 are hardest to find, but still available.

Personal defense ammo is available in every caliber on the shelf, and prices are not inflated. Powder and bullets are still on the shelf, but starting to thin... primers those are slim pickings as is new brass in popular calibers.

Shotgun ammo is plentiful.

Gun racks are full of hunting rifles and shotguns, there are AR's around and available, we have several local manufactures of AR's and they are making them as fast as they can, the speed at which the sell has tapered off from my perspective.

Mags are in short supply for just about everything at the retail stores... although Pmags and AR mags are still coming in and being sold.

Used ads for guns and ammo are crazy, people asking way too much, and people still paying for them, not realizing they can get what they want for less if they are just willing to put their name on a list and wait 1 to 4 weeks.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
Stopped by a place that has guns for sale today and 10 people deep and 4 more arrived at the gun counter in this tiny store.

Cedar

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
Stopped by Bi Mart today they were out of 22LR .  Lady said they have no idea when they will get more the warehouse is bone dry. 

Offline TheMidwesterner

• Survivor
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2013, 02:56:08 PM »
Stopped by Bi Mart today they were out of 22LR .  Lady said they have no idea when they will get more the warehouse is bone dry.

I  stopped by Cabela's this afternoon and found the .22LR shelves cleaned out.  There were a couple of boxes of the CCI Troy Landry 375 round bulk and maybe a dozen bricks of Winchester in the "commemorative" wood box (overpriced).  All of the online sellers also seem to be short/out of .22LR.  There seemed to be plenty of choices for other rimfire chamberings.

The 9mm shelf was also empty though they did have separate displays out for PMC Bronze FMJ @ $16/50, Herter's Brass FMJ at $14/50 and Herter's Aluminum TNJ @ $13/50 with plenty of stock of each.  No hollow points to be found.  .40 S&W and .45 ACP seemed to be less cleared out and there was plenty of choice and stock of .380.

I didn't bother to check the magazine aisle, but I did notice the empty AR rack and the handgun case seemed to be missing some of the usual options, though I wouldn't call it sparse.

There is a limit of 10 boxes of ammo per customer.

I did notice on Cabela's website that prices on bulk 9mm haven't gone up (some are actually down from the last time I checked), though it's all on backorder.

I guess dollar-cost-averaging applies to ammo as well - hoping things will calm down, I picked up some of the Herter's Brass and a box of the Aluminum to try out.  The aluminum cased stuff is light - seems like it might be a possible option for back country hiking/backpacking, though I'm not sure of the performance properties of the TNJ projectiles.  I'm sure it's better than a sharp stick.

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2013, 07:20:07 PM »
Went to my local gun shop today and they had a fair amount of everything in stock.  It was morning, so they must have just replenished the shelves.  I was able to pick up 200 rnds of .223 and a box of 22LR.  Everywhere else in town is out.

Offline Patriot:Ex Machina

• Administrator Emeritus
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium
    • Patriot Gun & Gear
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Here in central North Carolina, (specifically Randolph County) the 2 closest Wal Marts are picked dry. The only thing left on the shelf at the Asheboro store is some .22-250 , a box of .243Win and some .17HMR.
The next closest is Randleman; they still had 12 gauge small game loads, .410 Gauge, and some .38 Special, as well as some less popular semi auto handgun rounds such as .357SIG.
I drove down to Montgomery County just about 35 minutes south,to their Wal Mart, and cleaned them out of all the .30-30 Winchester that they had.
Dear Montgomery Co., you're out of .30-30...you might want to see to that.
The local independent shops still have ammo, although it's going fast.
Just a bit higher than normal at the indy shops, but if you waited this long to get ammo, you have to accept this as the price you pay.
No .223/5.56NATO, 7.62x39mm, .308Win., or 9mm and .45ACP much at all.
I'm like most of you guys....glad I got what I have back when I did. Although I feel the need to buy any I find regardless.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
Ahhhh . . .  I assumed it was .223 or 5.56
Back in the late 90's, 7.62x39 and .556 were the same price. $79 per thousand. In some cases, free shipping. Anybody else remember the "milk cartons" of S+B 556 that were everywhere before Wolf got so common???
Those were the days.
Things up here in Maine are much the same. The ammo is around, but it's expensive and there's a limit on how much they are selling per customer.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #146 on: January 08, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »
stopped at some gun stores today in Milwaukwee, Wi
  • PMag $65 (most places are out
  • Glock Mag 30 round ($50)
  • AKs $1,700

was looking at for a Glock 23.... but with the current $650-700 price tags, I am going to wait

d3nni5

« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2013, 04:22:38 PM »

In my local Wal-Mart this morning early, 7AM or so.   Ammo still picked clean.   I asked the lady in sporting goods when she expected ANYTHING in.....oh, man the look I got.   LOL, I was glad SHE didn't have any ammo :).    She told me that the supplier said they will "get it when they get it...or not".

I just walked away and said thank you.   She was obviously not happy, I bet she's been asked that question a million times already.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2013, 04:33:55 PM »
My local Walmart was picked dry (I mean everything) except for 38SPL, 380 and shotgun ammo.

So I went outside to my garage and loaded up a couple hundred rounds of 300BLK for about $0.27 a piece, then I hit the range.

I just need to stock up on more primers before they get in short supply.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »
I took the advice of Endurance and drove by a small gun shop (in a bad part of town on the way home from work - you bet I was carrying) and scored 2 Glock 19 magazines and 100 rounds of .223 (the max they would let me buy). The prices were OK given that I could not find either anywhere else.