Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 402774 times)

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »
The internet provider I buy ammo from had 138 half cases of .223 in the morning. By evening, 3 were left. That is 67,500 rounds of just that one flavor of .223 sold that day!

I recently ordered a full case of 9mm, a half case of 9mm, and a half case of .223. They arrived today. The FedEx deliveryman remarked that he was surprised one could still buy ammo with all the goings on in DC. My receptionist informed him that is why I was buying it.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #151 on: January 08, 2013, 08:27:35 PM »
One of the local Walmarts received a shipment last night. When I went in about mid morning they had a couple dozen boxes of Federal 9mm FMJ and a few of the Remington UMC 250rd boxes. There were still a number of empty spaces in the cabinet, but it didn't look too bad.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #152 on: January 08, 2013, 09:59:47 PM »
I saw the first .22 since this started at Walmart. They had just come in, and there was only a dozen boxes of 350 rounds federal auto match. I got two for me and one for a friend. $13 each.
Saw two boxes of .223, buy it was expensive target stuff.
Location - CA.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #153 on: January 08, 2013, 10:39:44 PM »
I saw the first .22 since this started at Walmart. They had just come in, and there was only a dozen boxes of 350 rounds federal auto match. I got two for me and one for a friend. $13 each.
Saw two boxes of .223, buy it was expensive target stuff.
Location - CA.

That's a good price these days.  For the last couple of years, our Walmart charges about $17 for a box of 350.

Offline cgraves

• Prepper
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
I am the manager for the outdoor section of our local Dicks Sporting Goods.  We are primarily getting .22LR and .38 Special.  Mostly 10 boxes of each a week.  They typically will sell out by noon on the day we receive them.  Also,  today we got in our first boxes of .223 (5 boxes) and 9MMs since we pulled all ARs.  Gone within an hour. 

Interestingly, we have plenty of .45 on our shelves.  At least here in MS .45 is the only caliber that is relatively easy to find. 

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »
I am the manager for the outdoor section of our local Dicks Sporting Goods.  We are primarily getting .22LR and .38 Special.  Mostly 10 boxes of each a week.  They typically will sell out by noon on the day we receive them.  Also,  today we got in our first boxes of .223 (5 boxes) and 9MMs since we pulled all ARs.  Gone within an hour. 

Interestingly, we have plenty of .45 on our shelves.  At least here in MS .45 is the only caliber that is relatively easy to find.
Do you get dibs on what you want before the goods are put on the shelf?

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2013, 04:47:30 PM »
Local Cabela's here in Idaho had 9mm... tons of it, literally every aisle and 9mm ammo for 12.99/box They were just putting it on shelfs all over.

They also had 223 on the shelf, probably 4k to 5k in the 20rnd boxes and had 22 bulk packs, the 325 not the 525 but they were on the shelf.

Prices were normal for ammo.  Powder on the other hand was jacked up in price but there, and primers were running low.

Reloading supplies for dies/presses/brass/ and bullets were all on the shelf as well.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »
I haven't found small pistol (non-magnum) primers for a long while.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2013, 05:40:27 PM »
I looked on Bulkammo.com and they finally listed 1000 .223 rounds for $768, about double pre-crisis prices. Two hours later...gone. I think they had 21 units (21,000 rounds) available. Gone!!

Yikes folks. This is classic shortage behavior. We are in this for the long haul.

inbox485

« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2013, 05:51:38 PM »
I bought everything I could afford in early December. Wasn't because of the election, and I didn't have any inside knowledge of events to come, it just felt right at the time. Now part of me wishes I ordered double, but honestly that would have stretched finances a bit too much.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2013, 07:45:15 AM »
I haven't found small pistol (non-magnum) primers for a long while.

I bought 5000 CCI small pistol primers as Natchezss yesterday.  Price was reasonable too.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2013, 09:47:34 AM »
I bought 5000 CCI small pistol primers as Natchezss yesterday.  Price was reasonable too.

While I'm sincerely happy for you, they are sold out today :(

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2013, 09:01:49 PM »
Yeah...another 8000 rounds of .223 for sale on bulkammo.com....$770 per 1000. Not in my price range.

Offline Big_Al

• Senior Survivalist
  • Don't look now, but here comes trouble
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
My local wallmart is well stocked in ammo of all types.  I spoke to the worker I've dealt with several times, and she and staff always submit for new orders from the distro center.  All the common calibers are well stocked.  This is an anomaly in lower Michigan, as I have been to several counties looking around.  They only had 1 scoped rifle, however.  The Meijers across the street are basically out.  Other places such as Gander Mountain are low.  It was weird to walk in to my local wallmart and see so much available.  I guess this community doesn't need any  ;).

Offline Dante

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2013, 09:24:06 PM »
So IL  & IN.  Shelves empty everywhere.  All dealers limiting purchases to 3 boxes as new shipments arrive. Typically sell out by noon on days shipments arrive. Prices up about 20%.  Gun sales up considerably.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
Most recent Big-5 ad has .223 "for sale" for over a buck a round.  Yeah... thanks but no thanks.  Are people really paying that much? Because maybe I'll sell some!

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:03 AM »
Most recent Big-5 ad has .223 "for sale" for over a buck a round.  Yeah... thanks but no thanks.  Are people really paying that much? Because maybe I'll sell some!

Agreed.  For a buck a round I would be willing to part with some...

nelson96

« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2013, 11:08:46 AM »
Agreed.  For a buck a round I would be willing to part with some...

I wouldn't, but if I didn't already have the abilty to load my own, I would think that investing in a press and all, would be a good investment versus paying over a $1 a round for .223

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2013, 11:23:21 AM »
Stopped by a rural wal mart. Only thing in the glass case was 2 high end boxes of 40, acouple boxes of 45 2 boxes of 380, and some old ball caliber stuff.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2013, 11:27:58 AM »
I wouldn't, but if I didn't already have the abilty to load my own, I would think that investing in a press and all, would be a good investment versus paying over a $1 a round for .223

Guess that would depend on how much you have, and how much reloading supplies you have as well.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2013, 11:38:07 AM »
I'm just saying we now have a choice between 00 Buckshot/slugs or .223 at about the same price point. Seems a bit silly.  But I like shotguns, so... there you go. Is anyone else moving towards the scattergun right now?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2013, 12:51:21 PM »
I'm just saying we now have a choice between 00 Buckshot/slugs or .223 at about the same price point. Seems a bit silly.  But I like shotguns, so... there you go. Is anyone else moving towards the scattergun right now?

i bought some 00 and slugs for my shotgun. i didn't have any 12g rounds except for some bird shot so i figured while everyone else is buying 223 i'll take advantage of the shotty ammo. i found some pretty good deals on it as well.

i just got back from sportsmans to look at some boots and cruised by the gun area. they have limited sales of 'hi capacity' semi auto handguns to one per person, ammo is limited to three of the same sku. their reloading supplies are now almost nonexistent and they are limiting those sales as well.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2013, 03:41:45 PM »
Apparently Walmart has issued a statement to it's managers that no further ammo (and perhaps some other items) is to be ordered.

After walking through Bass Pro after work, I'm starting to think they've decided the same thing.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2013, 03:51:04 PM »
Apparently Walmart has issued a statement to it's managers that no further ammo (and perhaps some other items) is to be ordered.

After walking through Bass Pro after work, I'm starting to think they've decided the same thing.

I was going to ask if you have seen that in writing, but a quick online search turns up many of results on this.
This turns my stomach.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #174 on: January 14, 2013, 04:42:30 PM »
In the rare event I gift I wanted to return, I have a habit of doing this at Wal-Mart and buying ammo with the store credit.
Guess that's all different going forward. 

These people and organizations aren't anti-gun, they are anti-gunowner.  I'm convinced they hate that we love freedom.

Sorry if I veered off topic.

endurance

« Reply #175 on: January 14, 2013, 05:44:24 PM »
I'm going into conservation mode.  That means I'm not shooting my 5.56 carbine since I can't replace the ammo right now and I don't have an overabundance of ammo.  I'm doing more training with my .22 handgun and less with the 9mm.   Instead of shooting 150-200 rounds of 9mm in one trip to the range, I'll shoot 150-200 rounds of .22 and 50 rounds of 9mm.  I'm still finding 9mm around, albeit about 25% more expensive than I saw it just a few months ago.  If these prices stick around for more past spring, I'll consider buying at the inflated prices and just live with it.  Otherwise, I can't find 5.56 for less than $850 locally and I'm just not willing to pay more than about half that at the moment.  I've always trained more with handguns anyway, but this is just taking me further in that direction.

Down the road I'd rather have the surplus and not need it than wish I hadn't burned it up needlessly.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #176 on: January 14, 2013, 05:54:46 PM »
All this crazy ammo shortage stuff makes me happy I got the .22 CMMG upper a few months back.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #177 on: January 14, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »
I'm going into conservation mode.  That means I'm not shooting my 5.56 carbine since I can't replace the ammo right now and I don't have an overabundance of ammo.  I'm doing more training with my .22 handgun and less with the 9mm.   Instead of shooting 150-200 rounds of 9mm in one trip to the range, I'll shoot 150-200 rounds of .22 and 50 rounds of 9mm.  I'm still finding 9mm around, albeit about 25% more expensive than I saw it just a few months ago.  If these prices stick around for more past spring, I'll consider buying at the inflated prices and just live with it.  Otherwise, I can't find 5.56 for less than $850 locally and I'm just not willing to pay more than about half that at the moment.  I've always trained more with handguns anyway, but this is just taking me further in that direction.

Down the road I'd rather have the surplus and not need it than wish I hadn't burned it up needlessly.

I agree entirely. I can see 9 mm available on the Internet, but have not seen any in local stores. I got lucky and got 100 rounds of 5.56 (I thought it was .223 until I got home, but no matter, because I specifically purchased a M&P15 that could shoot .223/5.56). I only have 240 rounds of .223/5.56 so I am not going to shoot a single round until it can be replaced. I have lots of 9 mm, but am not going to shoot 200-300 rounds in a trip to the range until I can go to a local store and replace that amount. I'll have to pull out my .22 and practice more with it.

Eventually, eventually, eventually, people will stop buying at these ridiculous rates at these ridiculous prices and I can get some more .223 and have a good time at the range working my AR. ;-)

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #178 on: January 14, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »
All this crazy ammo shortage stuff makes me happy I got the .22 CMMG upper a few months back.

Makes me glad I took care of "business" 9 months ago when my spidey sense went off.... but this panic did catch me off guard regarding getting my reloading station completed with my wish list items.

nelson96

« Reply #179 on: January 14, 2013, 06:55:23 PM »
Makes me glad I took care of "business" 9 months ago when my spidey sense went off.... but this panic did catch me off guard regarding getting my reloading station completed with my wish list items.

I'm on that boat too.  I wanted to stock up on guns but opted for more ammo for the guns I have and increased my capabilities for reloading.  I now need to get my new reloading room done.