Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 92290 times)

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Ammo shortages (2012 - 2013)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #270 on: January 26, 2013, 01:20:43 AM »
I spoke to someone at one of our larger ammo dealers called Canada Ammo when purchasing a couple mags (just 10 rounders, which is the max we could use in an AR). I asked and was told that the reasonably priced Norc .223 that we're getting now probably would have been available for the next year under normal conditions, but that we may run out well before that on account of the Canadian shooters stocking up on it. Incidentally the headstamps are 93 or 94, suggesting that we're getting what was left after the importation ban on them from the US. New production Norc M4geries that are currently out of stock acrocss the country will also continue to arrive at the same price (approx $800 taxes in), which will at least partially make up for the lack of guns available from US sources even if they are not as desirable. I should add that our bottleneck licensing scheme and the "restricted" status of AR variants (which requires an extra class of permit and that they be transported only to and from the range) severely limits the number of people who could purchase those rifles, which slightly tempered any panic buying.

I certainly don't mean to tease, but am thankful that we've at least got decently priced stock that could be purchased with at least some time to think about it. So much of future availability and price will depend upon the situation in your country. Since it takes a couple of months to get on one of our licensing courses and usually about twelve weeks after that to get the permit, there's only so many new shooters who can enter into the hobby in the meantime, who also need the license to buy ammo. Be weary of politicians who point to Canadian gun laws as an example for the US!

Offline Nate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Expanding my skill set: studying to be a nurse
« Reply #271 on: January 26, 2013, 07:39:19 AM »
My local walmart in NW Ohio is still bare of everything except: 22 mag, 22 short and 12, 20 gauge shotgun loads.  You can find just about any hunting or target load you want in these gauges.  A new gun store opened in my little town last weekend.  I got there an hour after the grand opening officially started and no ammo was on the shelf.

I was at a gun show last weekend and I was looking at .38 special and .22 ammo prices.  LRN 38 was going for $40 a box and .22LR bulk packs (500 rounders) going for $50!  Really??  On my way to the gun show I stopped at a pawn shop and they had 38 158Gr LRN for 15.95 a box.
NATE

"This is the Law of the Yukon, that only the Strong shall thrive;
That surely the Weak shall perish, and only the Fit survive."  Robert Service

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
Carter country in houston tx (2locations checked) has a 2box limit. Very bare shelves. Online back orders for primers. None to be found in the locations we checked.  Lotsa folks looking for AR or AK.

Offline phils70

• Prepper
  • Zone 8b. Where we wear shorts at Christmas.
    • Self Sufficient in the Suburbs
« Reply #273 on: January 26, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »
Carter country in houston tx (2locations checked) has a 2box limit. Very bare shelves. Online back orders for primers. None to be found in the locations we checked.  Lotsa folks looking for AR or AK.

Can verify that, not that it's needed ;) Went to the SW location after the Mises Circle event with the intent of picking up some small pistol and small rifle primers... none. Plenty of shotgun ammo, picked up some buck shot (I don't reload buck or slugs yet). Picked up some 270 and 44 mag bulk bullets. Shelves were almost bare. Employees seemed a bit frazzled, probably from answering the same questions the same way all day. Lots of interest in AR, AK and Glock. None available.

@jm_sol   the girl at the counter said try again WED am.

Offline robertov416

• Prepper
    • Progress on 13 in 13 skills
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2013, 06:21:45 PM »
Can verify that, not that it's needed ;) Went to the SW location after the Mises Circle event with the intent of picking up some small pistol and small rifle primers... none. Plenty of shotgun ammo, picked up some buck shot (I don't reload buck or slugs yet). Picked up some 270 and 44 mag bulk bullets. Shelves were almost bare. Employees seemed a bit frazzled, probably from answering the same questions the same way all day. Lots of interest in AR, AK and Glock. None available.

@jm_sol   the girl at the counter said try again WED am.

That seems to be a common theme.... gun shop employees that are normally very amiable seem to be wound a lot tighter these days.  Perhaps a tough time to be in the gun industry.

Offline h0ser81

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2013, 09:42:37 AM »
I can't find .22LR anywhere! Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Walmart, and even my LGSs are all picked clean of .22LR.  My dad found a few boxes for me at a local hardware store that I had him pick up for me. The prices on gunbroker are out of control for it as well.

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #276 on: January 28, 2013, 03:01:53 PM »
Went to a local walmart, nothing.  Went to Meijers, nothing.  Went to another walmart, got 2 boxes of 100 rds 9mm for target shooting and was the 4th person in line to get the same ammo.  The clerk said they got them in hours before.  All other ammo except for some .38, a few odd .22lr, and shotgun shells are gone.
“A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.”  Robert Heinlein

"There's this new thing called Situational Awareness!"  Sterling Archer

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #277 on: January 28, 2013, 03:08:21 PM »
At the gun show yesterday;

No. 22 LR except for shotshell,
9mm - .47 per round, limits per customer,
.223 - $1 per round, limits per customer.

.40 & .45 available, only slight price hikes.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #278 on: January 28, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
I can't find .22LR anywhere! Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, Walmart, and even my LGSs are all picked clean of .22LR.  My dad found a few boxes for me at a local hardware store that I had him pick up for me. The prices on gunbroker are out of control for it as well.
Bulkammo had some last night. $38 bucks for the federal 525 brick. probably all gone by now.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline American freak

• Prepper
  • God, Family, The Republic.
« Reply #279 on: January 28, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
What blows my mind is the lack of. 22LR. Figured there would be plenty..... guess not. I bought some Rio .12 gauge buckshot in bulk along with some Pvri Partizan. 30-30 the other day from Chaeper than Dirt. They made me do a verbal affidavit saying that I didn't live in New York and that I could legally buy ammo. It upsets me that the gun industry is so quick to bow down like that.
In Liberty

inbox485

« Reply #280 on: January 28, 2013, 06:58:13 PM »
What blows my mind is the lack of. 22LR. Figured there would be plenty..... guess not. I bought some Rio .12 gauge buckshot in bulk along with some Pvri Partizan. 30-30 the other day from Chaeper than Dirt. They made me do a verbal affidavit saying that I didn't live in New York and that I could legally buy ammo. It upsets me that the gun industry is so quick to bow down like that.

CTD is NOT the gun industry! They aren't worthy of crap out of the maggot's butt that was feeding from last weeks left overs of the gun industry. One gun owner at a time they are being boycotted for this and a list of crap too long to mention.

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #281 on: January 29, 2013, 06:27:58 AM »
CTD .............. One gun owner at a time they are being boycotted for this and a list of crap too long to mention.

I've never shopped there, but have read enough from others gripes to never start.   

Ammo in Northern WV is trickling back into the bigger stores, something I've never shot...Prvi Partizan (PPU).   Wallyworld the other day had a bunch of 9mm and 40 s&w from PPU. they also had CCI AR Tactical .22LR (anyone shoot this?  like it?).   The other Wal-mart across town had Federal 9mm, and those Winchester 555 boxes of .22LR.   Both stores are limiting to 3 boxes per day, not per visit.   Not sure how they are enforcing it, but 1x a day at Walmart is about all I can stand anyway :).

One thing I've seen consistantly are all the typical hunting calibers.   I've always seen 7mm, .270, 30-30 and 30-06 on the shelf.   Dunham's has also always had the 7.62x54 surplus tins.   This has me considering what my next rifle is going to be.  Now I'm looking at the Mosin Nagants seriously, also considering a Winchester Model 94.   

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #282 on: January 29, 2013, 07:07:28 AM »
Bulk Ammo is now out of 22LR

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #283 on: January 29, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »
Cannot find .223 brass anywhere.  Local gun stores, gun clubs, Widener's, Natchez, Southern, Midway, NoDak Arms, none of the usual suspects. 

Kicking myself for not having bought a metric ton back in November.

Anybody got a suggested source?

Also, the government is destroying once-fired .223 brass again, against the law, but what do they care.

Offline ag2

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Been fishin' lately?
« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2013, 04:02:32 PM »

Also, the government is destroying once-fired .223 brass again, against the law, but what do they care.

Huh?  Got a link to this info? (I don't doubt you.  Just want to read more info.)
Mild-mannered beans, bullion, band aids, bullets prepper cautiously watching history repeat itself.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #285 on: January 29, 2013, 06:16:16 PM »
Cannot find .223 brass anywhere.  Local gun stores, gun clubs, Widener's, Natchez, Southern, Midway, NoDak Arms, none of the usual suspects. 

Kicking myself for not having bought a metric ton back in November.

Anybody got a suggested source?

On craigslist I found 3 sellers of .223 brass today. That said, they were asking up to $200 for 1000, but it was once fired 5.56mm.  4 months ago, recyclers near the army base used to sell $50 for 1000 - but times have changed.

Also, I suggest you visit a range location immediately following a tactical training course, or LEO training.  I've yet to see a cop save his own brass.  Esp. when the cases land in the mud.  My 9 year old son thinks this is a fun activity, and I pay him for harvesting, cleaning and depriming later :)

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • A geeky American country boy with an AR-15 slung o
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #286 on: January 29, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #287 on: January 29, 2013, 08:38:37 PM »
Mom and pops gun shop had a little. Traded a glock mag i didnt need for 2 boxes of 223.
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2013, 12:39:29 AM »
Mom and pops gun shop had a little. Traded a glock mag i didnt need for 2 boxes of 223.

I just traded a box of .223 of PMC (I got last year for $5.99) for several hundred speer 140gr JHP (for reloading, not ammo).  My rationale is, back in "normal times" the street value is at least 5x in my favor.  Eventually .223 will come back.

BTW: I'm down to less than 1000 pistol primers on hand, and getting anxious about it.  anyone else stressing this?

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2013, 02:49:32 AM »
Local discount store (Bi-Mart) had hardly any ammo, mostly odds and ends.  BUT, they just got in a stack of a new product I have not seen before: Remington 25 shell box of 12 ga 00 buckshot!  I think they were only $10/25 which is way cheaper than the regular 5-shell boxes for $3.60.  I picked up a couple of boxes and they had probably 30 more boxes on the shelf at least.

Powder, primers, and bullets are long gone still.  No .22LR for some weeks either.  They do still have .17HMR in quantity.  I have plenty of .22LR ammo, but if I was just getting into rimfires right now I would seriously consider getting a .17HMR such as the Ruger 10/17, etc because that ammo is ALWAYS in stock.  Then later I would get a .22LR when supplies increase.
There have always been times like this, and there will be again. Will we rise to the challenges or get run over?

Offline Sunnylandcamper

• Prepper
  • Ready to Bugout
« Reply #290 on: January 30, 2013, 03:19:31 AM »
its sad in the Peoria illinois area....
"Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."- DR Seuss
http://www.meetup.com/PeoriaPreppers/

Offline JC2

• Senior Survivalist
    • Harvesting Grace Farm
« Reply #291 on: January 30, 2013, 07:10:10 AM »
Heres one of my orders I placed with cabelas online a little over two weeks ago. I have removed quantities and irrelevant info, but this should give you an idea whats moving in the supply chain.

Received within the past couple of days
.40 S&W 180 GR FMC
.30 180 GR SST
H4198 1 LB
.380 AUTO 95GR FMJ

Still hasn’t shipped
CCI Per 1000 Primers LARGE PISTOL
HP38 1 LB
CCI Per 1000 Primers SMALL RIFLE BR
CCI Per 1000 Primers LARGE RIFLE BR
Winchester Per 1000 Primers 1 1/2 SML PISTOL MAG
.224"DIA. Rifle Bullets .22 55GR BK PER 500
9MM 115 GR FMC
Life is full of many choices,
if you don't like your life,
make better choices.

http://www.harvestinggracefarm.com

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #292 on: January 30, 2013, 07:15:38 AM »
Some things available here: http://gun-deals.com/

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2013, 09:03:34 AM »
I don't have time to read through 10 pages of posts in this thread — but I can report that here in Pittsburgh, I have been poking my head into gun shops, department stores, and sporting goods stores.

There is NO ammo ANYWHERE in the AR / AK rifle sizes at any department stores. Most stores still have lots of shotgun ammo, but many of them only have a tiny bit of defense, large game rounds and only small boxes of game rounds (not seeing many 100 round boxes of game rounds even).

For handguns, 45 ACP, 9mm, 380 etc is pretty much cleaned out, BUT I am finding boxes scattered here and there. I have been stocking up on 380, 45 long colt, and 12 gauge 00 Buck and slugs as I find them.

For the guns I own, I don't feel like the supply is DRY — but it isn't easy to find either. And prices are pretty bad except for Wal Mart. Wal Marts in my area have also placed a 3 box per day ration on ammo.

Ironically, the Wal Marts that have the most ammo are located where the gun grabbers all live! Whenever I get paid I go down to the Wally World near work and buy at least one box of rounds for each gun I own.

SOME of the rounds I am getting in small quantities at WalMart are still cheaper than what I could get in BULK ordering 1,000 rounds at a time online (if they aren't sold out).

While I feel like I may be too late to ever own a nice AR / AK rifle, I don't feel like I can't defend my home or have a problem keeping the guns I have loaded — but the panic I see everywhere (EVERY SINGLE TIME I go to a place where ammo is sold there are people in line, standing around scratching their heads, all pissed off at the government, without fail).

I consider that to be a good sign. I put in my application for my CCW permit, and I bet the damn thing doesn't even come in the 45 days required by law in my state — because they are so backed up, and the sherif in my county has been playing with the law to delay and deny people's permits, and I assume even more so now with this mad rush of people lockin' and loadin' right now.
Listen to my podcast — The Uncomfortable Truth
(shameless plug)
http://www.theuncomfortabletruth.com

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #294 on: January 30, 2013, 10:28:34 AM »
Yup - walmart stores in liberal/yuppie zipcodes generally have better inventory.

Also, with all due respect to TSP sponsors, 6 months ago I could get the same brand .223 ammo for less at Walmart than internet vendor prices.  Our local sales tax is high, but ammo is heavy so it's less than shipping in most cases.  I've never understood people who ordered cases worth of ammo to save $0.01 per round less than what the big box stores had.

I still have a rubbermaid bin with old 55gr American Eagle I used to get at Cabela's for $4.99.  Whenever I was there, I'd get 4 or more.  I naively assumed that's how everyone bought ammo before the internet became ubiquitous.

Online endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #295 on: January 30, 2013, 10:49:04 AM »

Also, with all due respect to TSP sponsors, 6 months ago I could get the same brand .223 ammo for less at Walmart than internet vendor prices.  Our local sales tax is high, but ammo is heavy so it's less than shipping in most cases.  I've never understood people who ordered cases worth of ammo to save $0.01 per round less than what the big box stores had.
there have been times when it was a whole lot more than a few cents a round in savings.  Around January of last year I picked up 9mm $164.99/1,000 with $25 shipping (for two cases).  That's less than $9 for 50 rounds.  But you are right, folks often forget to add in the cost of shipping when calculating the cost of buying on line.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Scientist prepper in training
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:50 PM »
What blows my mind is the lack of. 22LR. Figured there would be plenty..... guess not.

My thoughts as well. I thought I'd pick some .22 LR up on the way to the range to replace my stocks, but they were completely out.

Offline frjoeb

• Survivor
  • Learning the common sense of Grandma and Grandpa
    • St. Augustine Outdoorsman
« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »
One WalMart told me today that their store was told they would not have any more 22LR in for the next 4 months.-North Florida area

Offline TheRancher

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »
Southern AZ is about out of .22 LR.  Big box stores are selling out the day they get in a new shipment.  Specialty gun stores still have high end match (ely etc. for sale)  .22 Mag is still available but the selection is getting smaller.  I notice the internet sales of .22 mag are out of stock for now.  .223 is unavailable.  9mm and .38 special are going as well.  There is usually 158 gr round nose standard velocity available, but no self defence quality.  Most larger rifle and other pistol calibers seem to be available. (Jan 30, 2013)
Providing American Beef from the Great Southwest

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2013, 01:57:16 PM »
The sporting goods manager also said Walmart Corporate is not accepting any new store orders, only pre-existing orders will be filled when available.  He didn't say they were going to stop selling ammo, just going to wait until the supply catches up.

The Wmart mgr here said pretty much the same thing, except he had to "regretfully confess" that corporate wasn't even purchasing any more ammo from right now (what they have in their distribution centers is what they have, and that's it)...that corporate is waiting to see what the Obama administration decides before they commit to buying any more because if there does end up being an out and out ban, corporate doesn't want to get stuck sitting on all that ammo with no "legal" way to get rid of it.  :(