Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 400894 times)

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #840 on: June 21, 2013, 10:30:27 AM »
ADKwarrior, I'm having some trouble finding 22lr at cabelas. Can you post a link please? Or do you call them on the phone?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #841 on: June 21, 2013, 10:43:11 AM »
re: Cabela's

Some folks think they are a bit expensive, but they do have strong sale discounts (at least they used to) and very good customer service.  I once snapped a Cabela's brand fishing rod when slamming my truck door.  They gave me a store gift card for replacement value.

A minor complaint I do have is that you cannot arrange in-store pickup for hazmat items, such as primers or powder.  I really thought I discovered the ultimate workaround, but it's not permitted on their website.  :(

nelson96

« Reply #842 on: June 21, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »
A minor complaint I do have is that you cannot arrange in-store pickup for hazmat items, such as primers or powder.  I really thought I discovered the ultimate workaround, but it's not permitted on their website.  :(

No, but I've been told you can ask an individual store to order you primers or powders that they normally stock and avoid the hazmat fee.  This at least means that you are guaranteed product when it comes in.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #843 on: June 21, 2013, 10:49:06 AM »
No, but I've been told you can ask an individual store to order you primers or powders that they normally stock and avoid the hazmat fee.  This at least means that you are guaranteed product when it comes in.

nelson96

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #845 on: June 24, 2013, 08:06:08 AM »
ADKwarrior, I'm having some trouble finding 22lr at cabelas. Can you post a link please? Or do you call them on the phone?

I apologise for not checking the site first but it looks like they have taken all outta stock stuff down.  I backordered a couple of everything, 500rnd and over, many months ago and it just keeps trickling in to the homestead so i haven't check the website in awhile.  I apologise for giving bad info.  This is troubling as the last of my orders is coming soon and I may have to stop weekly shooting finally... :( 

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #846 on: June 24, 2013, 09:02:44 AM »
I apologise for not checking the site first but it looks like they have taken all outta stock stuff down.  I backordered a couple of everything, 500rnd and over, many months ago and it just keeps trickling in to the homestead so i haven't check the website in awhile.  I apologise for giving bad info.  This is troubling as the last of my orders is coming soon and I may have to stop weekly shooting finally... :(
No problem ADK, I appreciate you trying to help us out. I haven't stopped shooting, I'm just shooting .22LR in the quantities as it is centerfire ammo, because that's how much it would cost to replace! No more blowing through a whole brick in an afternoon.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #847 on: June 25, 2013, 06:44:09 AM »
8:41am:  Cabelas has .22 LR HP (Cbee) Golden Bullet HP Per 100
7.49$

8:48am: Also Federal .22lr shot shells, 50rnd 10.99

Probably wont last more than a few min and its a 1 per person order item.

nelson96

« Reply #848 on: June 25, 2013, 07:54:48 AM »
8:41am:  Cabelas has .22 LR HP (Cbee) Golden Bullet HP Per 100
7.49$

How bad is it that we get all worked up over an opportunity to pay .075/round for .22lr . . .  It looks better because it's only 7.49 a box, but it was not that long ago we were getting 500 rounds for the price of two of those 100 round boxes.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 08:01:29 AM by nelson96 »

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #849 on: June 25, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
How bad is it that we get all worked up over an opportunity to pay .075/round for .22lr . . .  It looks better because it's only 7.49 a box, but it was not that long ago we were getting 500 rounds for the price of two of those 100 round boxes.

that's what i was thinking... *sigh* at least ammo is starting to trickle in. hopefully the prices will start to come down some.

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #850 on: June 25, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
HAHA...so true and yet so sad.  haha.
  I didnt order any because paying shipping for 1-100rnd box is insane!

Offline ADKwarrior

• Survivor
  • MSB Member Omegaburn
« Reply #851 on: June 25, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
Where i am in NY i can get pretty much any ammo i want, anything but .22, which i have not seen in a store locally since last year.  Although if you wanna pay 160$+ for a box of 500 there is a bunch of Eley(sp?) Match grade stuff here. I do not own a handgun or reload so my ammo problems are nearly nonexistant aside from .22lr.

Been beating the hell out of myself with the shotgun weekly as i still get 250rnd cases of low brass here for 69$.

that's what i was thinking... *sigh* at least ammo is starting to trickle in. hopefully the prices will start to come down some.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #852 on: June 25, 2013, 04:55:59 PM »
Yeah, I remember when a box of 100 .22LR was $0.99. (and made $1.60 an hour.)

nelson96

« Reply #853 on: June 25, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
Yeah, I remember when a box of 100 .22LR was $0.99. (and made $1.60 an hour.)

LOL. . .  I can remember making $3.10/hour, making a phone call on a pay phone for .10, paying .25 for a full sized candy bar, paying .50 for a gallon of gas. . . you must be really old.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #854 on: June 25, 2013, 07:45:54 PM »
LOL. . .  I can remember making $3.10/hour, making a phone call on a pay phone for .10, paying .25 for a full sized candy bar, paying .50 for a gallon of gas. . . you must be really old.
Yep, that candy bar was a nickel and the gas was 30 cents.

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #855 on: June 25, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »
Was able to pick up a little 9mm FMJ at an ok price.  Saw 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $489.00, brass.  Still more than I am willing to pay.  Gun store advised S&W MP and Colt simi auto rifles are up in price, S&W has a 30.00 increase and Colt now has a 80.00 increase.  All others were the same though.  They had more stock today than I have seen in months.  That may be a good sign.

nelson96

« Reply #856 on: June 25, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
Yep, that candy bar was a nickel and the gas was 30 cents.

You might just have 10 years on me then.

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #857 on: June 26, 2013, 04:05:37 AM »
I noticed the 500 rounds of 9mm from freedommunitions dropped about $4 recently,  woo-hoo!  ( semi-sarcastic woo-hoo with a sprinkle of optimism in there ).

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #858 on: June 26, 2013, 08:30:56 AM »
Was able to pick up a little 9mm FMJ at an ok price.  Saw 1000 rounds of 5.56 for $489.00, brass.  Still more than I am willing to pay.  Gun store advised S&W MP and Colt simi auto rifles are up in price, S&W has a 30.00 increase and Colt now has a 80.00 increase.  All others were the same though.  They had more stock today than I have seen in months.  That may be a good sign.

i see scary black rifles in stock all over the place. what i can't find is anything to feed them. sportsmans even has a good inventory of hand guns again.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #859 on: June 26, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
Ditto on the black rifles.  2 weeks back I got all the parts locally to finish my AR.  I was very pleased to find the BCG I wanted in stock too.

Fortunately, I had been buying magazines and ammo over the last several months when I came across deals.  I got way more magazines than I needed, as I rationalized 30 round mags could be banned a lot easier than ammo.  I bought several when they went on sale for $9.99 last year,  but now I don't have enough ammo to load them all.

500 rounds seemed decent before I had a rifle to shoot it :(

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #860 on: June 26, 2013, 10:33:41 AM »
500 rounds seemed decent before I had a rifle to shoot it :(

i never had a chance to put in a big bulk order before the SHTF with guns. i never had the funds so i bought a little hear and there. i haven't bought any since january probably. i'm hoping the prices will get back to what they were before and then i plan on getting a couple thousand rounds, even if i do incur the wrath of my wife.

i didn't own my first gun until father's day 2011 so i knew nothing of the past scares/ammo shortages. i will never be caught with my pants down again.

Offline Mexican_Hippie

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #861 on: June 26, 2013, 12:03:24 PM »
Its starting to come back near me. 

I found some 40SW and some 45ACP as well as 223 at Walmart.  Also, Cabela's keeps a stock of steel case cheapie 223 for about $6 a box.

Online,  Freedom Munitions and Slickguns have both had good deals on ammo lately that's in stock.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #862 on: June 26, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »
yeah. i'm about ready to buy some steel stuff just to have more ammo, but i really really like brass... plus i've heard good and bad about steel cases. also the fact that steel costs what brass used to cost really bugs me...

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #863 on: June 27, 2013, 06:55:46 PM »
Some good news here to. Guns Galore has filled their shelves again. They have everything except 22RF and 380. I counted 40 boxes of Blaser 9mm on the shelf. They had some PMC for 11.99 a box/20 and some ICI? 308 for 39.99 per box/50. All the hunting loads where in stock. I also picked up a brick of CCI small pistol primers for 54.60 plus sales tax. Not great, but better then in a while. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #864 on: June 28, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
yeah. i'm about ready to buy some steel stuff just to have more ammo, but i really really like brass... plus i've heard good and bad about steel cases. also the fact that steel costs what brass used to cost really bugs me...

I'm getting my .223 hand loading sorted out.  Came up with a process for military brass (ground out the crimp and trimmed neck), but 500 primers - but need powder.

Event at today's component prices, I can hand load 69gr Sierra match kings cheaper than any 55gr blasting ammo I can find.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #865 on: June 28, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »
i'm not into reloading yet but i plan to be. i save all of my brass.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #866 on: June 28, 2013, 05:08:16 PM »
Not sure if I posted this before, but if you're looking for ammo I'll let you in on one of my "secret fishin' hole" sites.  I use these guys to get ammo when no one else has any.

http://unammo.com/

If you live in Arizona you should go to the store, as they have more in their store than they actually post on their site.  I have to order it since I live in Florida.  They even have API rounds for my .50 BMG diet.  Gotta love America when you can still get armor piercing incendiary rounds for your .50 delivered to your front door for $3.20 a round.  Of course Kalifornia and some other places no longer count as America.  Any word on getting the Statue of Liberty relocated to within the Free States?  I personally don't think New York can be entrusted with it anymore.

nelson96

« Reply #867 on: June 28, 2013, 05:20:43 PM »
Any word on getting the Statue of Liberty relocated to within the Free States?  I personally don't think New York can be entrusted with it anymore.

Doh !. . . .  Sooooo true.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #868 on: June 29, 2013, 02:36:18 PM »
Not sure if I posted this before, but if you're looking for ammo I'll let you in on one of my "secret fishin' hole" sites.  I use these guys to get ammo when no one else has any.

http://unammo.com/

If you live in Arizona you should go to the store, as they have more in their store than they actually post on their site.  I have to order it since I live in Florida.  They even have API rounds for my .50 BMG diet.  Gotta love America when you can still get armor piercing incendiary rounds for your .50 delivered to your front door for $3.20 a round.  Of course Kalifornia and some other places no longer count as America.  Any word on getting the Statue of Liberty relocated to within the Free States?  I personally don't think New York can be entrusted with it anymore.

i've heard of these guys, been meaning to check them out next time in in the phoenix area.

gotta start looking at 30-06 now too, getting a garand on monday :D

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #869 on: June 30, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »
Saturday 6/29/13 I scored my first small pistol (magnum) primers locally since last December.  Got 1000 box of winchester for $37.00 and 3x100 CCI packs for $3.75 each.  I bought literally half of what they had.  I could have afforded to get everything, but didn't want to be "that guy".

Also, they had some powder in stock at pre-panic prices.  I got another jar of IMR trailboss, as it's a fun family plinking load and I end up using that more than the slower burning magnum stuff.   Nothing useful for .223, but at least I can feed my revolvers.