Author Topic: Ammo shortages (now 2016)? What are you seeing out there?  (Read 396331 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Ammo shortages (now 2014)? What are you seeing out there?
« Reply #900 on: July 10, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »
I finally caught up with Z to ask. They were 100 round boxes.

Cedar

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #901 on: July 10, 2013, 01:29:34 PM »
I finally caught up with Z to ask. They were 100 round boxes.

Cedar

that's not terrible then...

yesterday wally world had a few 50rnd boxes of sub sonic 22 on the shelf. they also had a bunch of 12 and 20 gauge shells which i haven't seen in a while.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2013, 02:38:06 PM »
I saw 6 100 round boxes of WWB 9mm for $23 each at walmart on the shelf

I also saw about the same number of boxes fo WWB .40, didn't note the price

no 223 or 22lr

inbox485

« Reply #903 on: July 10, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
Maybe we need a mutual support group. Something like a if you see it get it, and an at cost exchange board.

d3nni5

« Reply #904 on: July 10, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
Maybe we need a mutual support group. Something like a if you see it get it, and an at cost exchange board.

This isn't a bad idea.   I do this w/ a friend of mine already, he's about 75 miles from me.   He covers his area, I do mine.  We know what each other are looking for.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #905 on: July 10, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
This isn't a bad idea.   I do this w/ a friend of mine already, he's about 75 miles from me.   He covers his area, I do mine.  We know what each other are looking for.

i've thought about it as well. the problem is i don't really have anyone local, and they one guy i do know lives down the street so it doesn't really work...

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #906 on: July 11, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
You can't have it both ways.  Geographic diversity of participants is key to maximizing selection.
Of course that adds the problem of shipping costs.

Personally, if I could get ammo I need and use at a reasonable price + actual shipping, I'd strongly consider it.

Rather than come up with a complex escrow process,  what if you setup a sub-forum or even topic for this?  I've seen something similar on hand loading message boards, where a certain "karma" level is required to participate.  The idea would be that people would be willing to buy and sell at their cost + actual shipping.  It'd be totally honor system, but there are enough folks here on TSP I trust reasonably well, I'd wouldn't hesitate to exchange with.

So if I see I screaming deal on a caliber I don't necessarily use, I might buy a bunch - not to hoard, but to distribute with fellow TSPers.

MODS:  can you advise if an ammo exchange/classified sticky topic would be permissible?  The actual payment and personal info would be limited to PM of course.  Just an idea.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #907 on: July 11, 2013, 06:34:37 PM »
We have a swap meet board. If you have something for sale or trade and can make a legal transaction, go for it.

inbox485

« Reply #908 on: July 11, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »
You can't have it both ways.  Geographic diversity of participants is key to maximizing selection.
Of course that adds the problem of shipping costs.

Personally, if I could get ammo I need and use at a reasonable price + actual shipping, I'd strongly consider it.

Rather than come up with a complex escrow process,  what if you setup a sub-forum or even topic for this?  I've seen something similar on hand loading message boards, where a certain "karma" level is required to participate.  The idea would be that people would be willing to buy and sell at their cost + actual shipping.  It'd be totally honor system, but there are enough folks here on TSP I trust reasonably well, I'd wouldn't hesitate to exchange with.

So if I see I screaming deal on a caliber I don't necessarily use, I might buy a bunch - not to hoard, but to distribute with fellow TSPers.

MODS:  can you advise if an ammo exchange/classified sticky topic would be permissible?  The actual payment and personal info would be limited to PM of course.  Just an idea.

Kinda my thoughts. It takes quite a bit of participation to make it feasible. Personally, if I see it and I do have a caliber for it, I get it, then sell at cost to buddies that are hard up for ammo. If it could work, it would be cool to make it a forum thing. I don't have the time to wrangle it, but perhaps a thread to gauge interest and then a test offer in the swap meet board just to see if it is viable. It is rapidly becoming less of an issue, so it might obsolete itself before going anywhere this time around, but having the idea in place might be good.

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #909 on: July 13, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »
I bought a Glock 27 4th gen (had to go to 3 different stores before I found one) and some 40 cal ammo today.

The ammo was unbelievably expensive at Academy Sports & Outdoors.  20 rounds of Gold Dot 40 cal 165 grain GDHP cost 29.95...$1.50/round!!!!!!!  Unless you buy a gun, they will only allow you to buy one box/day.  The clerk said they sell out within hours of getting a shipment of ammo, so they had to put limits on how much any one person can buy.  He said some people buy them for almost $30/ea and then sell them for $40/ea.

I also went to Adventure Outdoors and bought three boxes (20 rounds ea) of Hornady Zombie Max 40 cal 165 grain Z-MAX for $27.81/box and three boxes (50 rounds each) of American Eagle 40 cal 180 grain FMJ for $19.25/box.

This is highway robbery, but I'm happy to have been able to buy any at all.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #910 on: July 13, 2013, 09:34:26 PM »
$1.50 for a SD round isn't too unreasonable. i think i paid $1 per round on my golden saber... it is nearing a year old though so i'm hoping i can pick some more up here soon so i can rotate them out.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #911 on: July 14, 2013, 10:23:35 AM »
I heard that a friend of a friend found one box of .22LR on the shelf  :o

Then again, it may just be an urban legend.

Offline SloSheepdog

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #912 on: July 17, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »
So evidently there's plenty of ammo in Canada, and we 'mericans can't have it because ammo import laws.
"...for 22LR, he’s “paying $20-$25 for a box of 500." See article link below.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/07/09/bulk-ammo-sale-pre-panic-prices-eh/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2013-07-16&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #913 on: July 17, 2013, 09:00:14 AM »
So evidently there's plenty of ammo in Canada, and we 'mericans can't have it because ammo import laws.
"...for 22LR, he’s “paying $20-$25 for a box of 500." See article link below.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2013/07/09/bulk-ammo-sale-pre-panic-prices-eh/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2013-07-16&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Living in a bordering state I'd consider this if I wasn't convinced US customs agents were total dicks.  A few years ago I drove up to Vancouver, BC with my wife for a concert.  We were just staying overnight in a nice hotel and planned to drive back to Seattle the next day.  The agent asked for the address of the hotel, and became agitated that I didn't know the address off hand (it was a Marriott or similar chain, can't remember).  We got pulled aside until I could bring up the full street address on my phone and produce the email confirming we had a reservation.

I'm told that's the cost to fight terrorism...

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #914 on: July 20, 2013, 11:28:12 AM »
I happened to be in Wal-Mart doing some shopping this morning and thought, "What the heck?" and checked it out knowing it would be a long shot.

Ended up with 2 100 rd. boxes of cci mini mags. The guy at the counter said it had just come in last night. The 550 rd boxes of 22lr were already gone and there wasn't much left of the ones I got. He said they'd be gone by the end of the day and that it was the first time he had seen 22lr in quite some time.

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #915 on: July 20, 2013, 11:56:00 AM »
Just bought over 500 rounds of 40 cal from Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, GA...

250 135gr Frangible 40 cal - $89.99

250 165gr copper plated round nose 40 cal - $129.99

60 165gr Hornady Z-MAX - $77.97  (Only to be used on Zombies)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #916 on: July 20, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »
Academy has had .45 acp and 5.56 lately, but they will only let you have 1 box of up to 3 different calibers, so it is slow to stock up.

Offline Sid

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #917 on: July 21, 2013, 09:24:27 AM »
I have not gone back through all the posts in this thread, so this info might already be there, but if you want to buy ammo online here are two sites that keep up to date availability and prices at a large number of suppliers for most common calibers.  If you check often you can get the best prices available, but sometimes it disappears fast.  Also compare the shipping charges before you hit the buy button because sometimes they are excessive.  Palmetto State Armory when they have what I want has some of the lowest shipping costs that I have paid.

http://www.gunbot.net/

http://ammoseek.com/

The supply has improved recently, but the prices are still high by pre crisis comparison.

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #918 on: July 21, 2013, 09:58:56 AM »
A friend just told me that he bought 1000 primers.  So perhaps things are getting better
z

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #919 on: July 21, 2013, 11:58:37 AM »
My father bought 1000 rds of 22lr through gunbot this past week for $50. He tends to watch it pretty frequently so, when he knew I was looking for 22lr and saw that deal, he jumped on it. He'll be bringing it with him in August. What a nice father.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #920 on: July 21, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »
was that 50 plus shipping?

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #921 on: July 21, 2013, 05:27:28 PM »
Any thoughts on Eley ammo?

Offline RacinRob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I can be an ankle biter too!
« Reply #922 on: July 21, 2013, 05:29:40 PM »
It is good accurate ammo, but it tends to be geared to target shooting.  Oh and expensive.

Offline Adam B.

• Dedicated Contributor
    • The Uncomfortable Truth
« Reply #923 on: July 22, 2013, 11:46:19 AM »
I found PDX Defender rounds at Wally World today for about $26/box in 45 auto which is the very first time I've seen ANY handgun ammo at the local Wally World where all the liberal gun grabbers live (John Kerry and his b!+c# wife Theresa have a house around the corner).

I bought all the ammo they had for any guns I owned — sans 12 gauge — when the gun scare went down, over a period of a week or two. The shelves have been empty since, and still are except for the handful of 45 auto boxes I saw today.

Offline dunflr

• alias Gunkid
  • Prepper
  • BANNED for the second time
« Reply #924 on: July 22, 2013, 01:01:29 PM »
I've seen  .40 short and weak all long, and shotshells, too, at wally's and elsewhere. Goes to show how "popular" such things really are, I'd say. :-)

inbox485

« Reply #925 on: July 22, 2013, 01:03:38 PM »
I've seen  .40 short and weak all long, and shotshells, too, at wally's and elsewhere. Goes to show how "popular" such things really are, I'd say. :-)

In handgun calibers, 40S&W was last to dry up and first to return last time around as well.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #926 on: July 22, 2013, 02:11:15 PM »
while still limiting sales to one box/caliber, wally world had about 15 boxes of 9mm and a few of 380 on the shelves, which is never the case this late in the day.

Offline BassManNate

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #927 on: July 22, 2013, 08:54:21 PM »
was that 50 plus shipping?

I would imagine so. He didn't say for sure.

Offline mgw44

• Prepper
« Reply #928 on: July 23, 2013, 04:59:23 PM »
I just got an e-mail from Gander Mountain.  They have started an "ammo club" for their e-mail subscribers.  It appears that every week I will be getting an e-mail that shows advance shipment notices on ammo.  The tag line is "be the first to know weekly ammo arrivals at your local store" 

Unfortunately there are no shipments to my local Michigan stores this week.  But this may be a good barometer of ammo availability

mgw44

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #929 on: July 27, 2013, 07:59:09 AM »
the availiability is still low at the local gun shops and at our Walmart the gun shops prices are up! 

The Banks have been outed recently for manipulating comodiities prices and ammunition needs Brass ,Aluminum, Primers , Gun powder, Lead, Copper, and steel in some brands!

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/21/business/a-shuffle-of-aluminum-but-to-banks-pure-gold.html?pagewanted=1&=_r=6&_r=1&

http://www.businessinsider.com/goldman-sachs-aluminum-fact-sheet-2013-7