Author Topic: 37mm flare/smoke launcher  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
37mm flare/smoke launcher
« on: November 22, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
Any thoughts on this?

It seems like a handy lil' tool.  And super fun.

Here's a video of a guy using one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN__4nVCPRU

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
Re: 37mm flare/smoke launcher
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
They're pretty fun.  Of course, they can be much more fun if you don't mind reloading/handloading.   ;D  There's lot's of internet information that teach you how to do it.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 01:05:26 PM »
Well, IMO, the 37mm launcher is a pretty nifty little toy. 

I say that because, unless you're LEO, you're going to have a difficult time finding any ammo capable of real use.   An argument could be made of parachute flares, dragon's breath, etc., I guess.  But I can buy a lot of hand-held parachute flares for the cost of a launcher. 

Even if you can get the Destructive Device stamp for the 37mm or 40mm, you're still going to be paying out the wazoo for "useful" ammo.  Unless you can find a military or police source that will sell to you, you're going to be stuck with rubber ball, baton and, maybe, OC/CS rounds along with the better smoke rounds.

Now, this doesn't mean to say that you cannot "roll your own," as a lot of other 37mm guys do.  But unless you know what you're doing, anything you can generally whip up is going to be comparably anemic.

That doesn't mean you still can't have a lot of fun with one, just that you shouldn't expect anything near the level of results with which you may be familiar with military 40mm ammo.

I'm sure you may also find some form of slight tactical advantage with the use of some of these, as well.  (Emphasis on slight.)

Hope it helps.

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline archer

• every day is sosdd..
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 01:17:56 PM »
looks like fun.... esp for July 4th

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 02:26:12 PM »

That doesn't mean you still can't have a lot of fun with one, just that you shouldn't expect anything near the level of results with which you may be familiar with military 40mm ammo.

Oh, I'm no "operator" and don't expect 40mm levels of performance.  I would just buy standard 37mm flare and smoke rounds.  I might reload them.

This could be fun.  I even have a place to shoot these things.

You might be interested in the ten-book prepper novel series called 299 Days.  I, like, wrote it and stuff.  Prepper Press is publishing it.  Seriously.  Check out www.299Days.com.

"If you pissed away your time and energy watching football and herding the family to endless soccer games, well, sorry grasshopper." -- post by jasonthomas on TSP

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 09:28:50 PM »
Check the legality in your area, but I've heard tell of some folks whipping up flechette rounds.  I haven't done it myself, so I couldn't be of much help.  However, "they" tell me it is one of the single most awesome things they have used.  "They" have a lot of experience with all kinds of stuff, so when "they" say it's awesome, I'm intrigued.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline Heavy G

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • 299 Days
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 07:58:47 AM »

Check the legality in your area, but I've heard tell of some folks whipping up flechette rounds. 

Doing anything "anti-personnel" like lethal things (flechette, BBs, etc.) or even non-lethal (bean bags) makes the round a "destructive device."  This requires a tax stamp.  Smoke and flares are perfectly legal.  So nothing other than smoke and flares for me. 

A Remington 870 works just fine for delivering lots of projectiles, and it's legal.

Oh, by the way, a flare launcher isn't even a "firearm" so you buy one without an FFL. 

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »
I felt like a kid with a toy catalog when I saw these:

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/37mm-c-77.html

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:17:53 PM »
Where are you guys finding the best smoke and flare prices for these?
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline Mitch214

• Prepper
  • I am the greatest
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 02:58:07 AM »
I found one that mounts under an AR at  http://www.firequest.com/FJ735.html.  Only $299