Author Topic: The Dust Bowl Documentary  (Read 698 times)

Offline Bob Spelled Backwards

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
The Dust Bowl Documentary
« on: November 23, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Ken Burns has done it again.  This time another fine documentary about the Dust Bowl in the Great Plains that lasted a decade.  I just finished watching the first part ( about 2 hrs long ) and have to say it was well worth the watch. 

From a Self-Reliant and Environmentally responsible point of view, one can only hope we as a people remember the mistakes made in the past on how not to over cultivate the land and to not put all of our eggs in one basket assuming automatic riches or success based on past successes and following the herd mentality.

Listening to the old timers tell their stories on what life was like trying to endure those hardships for so long and to have the will to faith and patience to keep looking on the "next year" was really moving.  Especially the deep sadness at all the personal loss for their families and neighbors.

http://www.pbs.org/kenburns/dustbowl/

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
Re: The Dust Bowl Documentary
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
I watched this with my grandma the other day. It was interesting, she was saying that living in the Pacific Northwest through that time she doesn't recall hearing anything at all about the Dust Bowl, which she now finds odd since they heard other relevant news from across the country.

From what I gather my grandpa lived in Texas at the time and his family's economic situation was drastically affected by it. He grasped the opportunity to leave and his personal dislike of the area remained emphatic for the rest of his life.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 02:27:40 PM »
Definitely a great show.

My grandparents move to Hockley County, Texas on January 1, 1935 when my Dad was 10 years old. They finally made a crop in 1937. My Grandpa had purchased 876 acres for $500.

My Dad always talked about how Granny set the table with the plates face down and how he would always trace his name in the dust on the back of the plate when he came to supper. He said he used to go to sleep with a wet pillow case over his head.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 04:09:43 PM »
A friend's grandmother told us about sealing around windows and other cracks and crevasses in the house with wet newspaper in an attempt to keep the fine dust out and being jealous of a friend who's father had access to sticky paper. No matter what they did, the dust still managed to get into the house. She also told us about coming into and going out of the house through a couple of wets sheets nailed to the door frames of the entry room. She would laugh and tell us that she thought her father invented the airlock.  ;D

Offline TexGuy

• Sometimes posts while drunk.
  • Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
What a huge pile of rabbits in the "rabbit roundup"!!!

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
I watched the first part last night too. I wonder if anyone back then ever skinned a huge pile of rabbits and tacked up layers of dried hides to try and keep the dust out?

Old-timers in Indiana remember that era as hazy. We never got any of the big dust storms, but I've heard there were days on end where the sun just wasn't very bright.
I've seen the village and I don't want it raising my children.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
I watched part one as well. It's a really good show.