Author Topic: .380 or 9mm  (Read 4107 times)

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
.380 or 9mm
« on: November 23, 2012, 12:19:10 PM »
My brother-in-law is looking to get a handgun and we may go to a gun show soon to look around.  He's said that he's interested in either a .380 or 9mm.  Just thought I'd ask and see what you'd suggest he go with in caliber and your choice of gun.

I just bought a CZ 07 Duty a few months ago and am loving it.  Originally I went shopping for a MP9c after spending a few months researching and renting.  Went to a gun show and the few I found were overpriced so I jumped on the only CZ I found.  I remembered a lot of great reviews on the CZ 75 and the price was great.  They make a .380 that looks good, but my problem is the lack of local dealers.  To tell the truth I'm liking the idea of a smaller .380 for a pocket gun, as my Duty is still kinda big for a CC.

Anyways what are your thoughts and suggestions?
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.~George S. Patton

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: .380 or 9mm
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 01:27:16 PM »
You will probably get alot of opinions for the question you have asked. In the summer time I like carrying a 380 because it small, light and doesnt tug on my shorts too much. Spring, fall and winter I carry a compact 40. If your going to get just one gun then get the 9. If S&W would get the shields out then buy one of those. Im currently on a waiting list to get my hands on one or two. :)
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 01:59:29 PM »
I think I found the answer

Sig P290

Like a pocket 380 only in a 9mm, and vastly superior than any other pocket style gun out there, with S&W airweight revolvers a close second, but the Sig has better sights and gets the nod.

If you are considering a LC9, keltec, or S&W shield, you owe it to yourself to consider the Sig P290

You're welcome in advance

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »
Good answers above, but I'll add my $.02.

My EDC is a Shield 9mm in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I also get allot of millage out of my LCP around the house, the quick trip to the neighborhood Stop & Rob, or as a BUG.

I'm a SIG fanboy and the P290 is a fine gun, but it didn't fit the bill for me.

The CZ75 is a great gun, but it's bigger than I want to carry.

As for your B-I-L, I'd recommend 9mm. You didn't mention whether his purchase would be for home defense or if he would be carrying. If no carry, I go with a full size; G17, SIG 226 or the like. I'm also quite fond of the SIG P250; you can get those in the 2some package with one fire control unit, and both full-size and subcompact grip modules and slide assemblies.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2012, 07:31:18 PM »
There are a lot of 380's that are easy to carry, and a few 9mm pistols that fit the bill.  However, after playing around in this field for a long time, I recommend finding the right 9mm. 

The difference in ammo price and availability is huge.  The stopping power difference is significant.  Go 9.

Offline Joe in TN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
Do yourself a favor and buy a revolver.  The Ruger LCR in .38spl +P can be fired with regular .38SPL ammo, is hammerless and is a very accurate pistol. 

Revolver don't jam, semi-autos do.  Which do you want to trust your life to?

Joe

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2012, 08:15:01 PM »
Revolvers do jam. Not as often as semi-autos maybe, but they do nonetheless. And when they do jam, they are much harder than semi-autos to get running again. That's a more insidious myth than 'AKs are inaccurate and ARs are unreliable'.

Whatever you get, get it in 9mm.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »
Revolver don't jam, semi-autos do.  Which do you want to trust your life to?

As much as I like revolvers, they do jam, and when they do, they are likely out of the fight. One high primer or round with too long OAL from recoil and they jam, the timing can also get off and render the weapon inop. The no jam myth needs to die.

Good autos are reliable as well, and mechanically simpler. A quality piece of gear is essential either way. But i'd trust my life to the right auto, hands down. And the sights are often better which tips the balance for me, and I carried a S&W. 442 for years then I saw what I could do with an auto and tested the reliabilty myself. I'll put my sig or glock through a 10000 round torture test against the LCR and I expect I'd win.

Offline kyosa

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the handgun.  I carry a full sized 1911 .45 and have had almost every officer I know take notice (I work in a jail so I know all the local LE officers and unfortunately all the gangbangers and dirtbags), but only 4 citizens have noticed or reacted to me carrying.  2 of the citizens who have noticed were CCW instructors and one was the leader of one of the local gangster disciples.  The other civilian I think only noticed because I was sitting with a detective eating lunch and he noticed the detective had his handgun exposed along with his badge on his belt.  He looked and noticed the bulge on my hip.  Most "sheep" have no clue what to look for or to even notice if someone is carrying.

Personally I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 9mm but that is just me

Offline JoshRonin

• Survivor
    • TheHappyHarvestFarm
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 10:58:54 PM »
Well sounds like the B-I-L went for a 9mm.  Waited 3 hours at cabelas for a XD. 

I never looked into the .380 until a few days ago really.  I really just got into having my own handgun last summer.  I still need a holster for my CZ, but from what I've seen a smaller one just seems more concealable.  I never looked at a Sig, the B-I-L and I are still going out looking this weekend, and I'll look around.  See which is the better fit, since I know I like the MP and Shields. 

I also have a buddy who's a CO with a 1911 .45 and he's always telling me to get something that'll leave a bigger hole on my next gun.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.~George S. Patton

Offline Joe in TN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 07:49:49 PM »
BLUF: The chances of a revolver jamming are almost nil.  I don't have the math in front of me, but the chances of a semi-auto jamming compared to a revolver are at least 10-1. 

Inspect the ammo you intend to use in your CCW eliminates a lot of issues.  Weigh, roll, touch and ring guage your CCW ammo because your life does depend on it.

I find anywhere from 10-14 rounds, out of a 25 round box, that I set aside for target practice when I inspect my ammunition.  A couple brands are less, more like only 2-3 I set aside.

Clean your weapon, don't carry it in a lint filled pocket, inspect your ammunition and the chances of a revolver jamming are almost zero.  Cops didn't carry revolvers for so many years for no reason.

Joe 

I wouldn't worry too much about the size of the handgun.  I carry a full sized 1911 .45 and have had almost every officer I know take notice (I work in a jail so I know all the local LE officers and unfortunately all the gangbangers and dirtbags), but only 4 citizens have noticed or reacted to me carrying.  2 of the citizens who have noticed were CCW instructors and one was the leader of one of the local gangster disciples.  The other civilian I think only noticed because I was sitting with a detective eating lunch and he noticed the detective had his handgun exposed along with his badge on his belt.  He looked and noticed the bulge on my hip.  Most "sheep" have no clue what to look for or to even notice if someone is carrying.

Personally I wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 9mm but that is just me

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »
Clean your weapon, don't carry it in a lint filled pocket, inspect your ammunition and the chances of a revolver jamming are almost zero.  Cops didn't carry revolvers for so many years for no reason.

Joe

now they carry autos, so that logic doesn't hold.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 09:40:39 AM »
now they carry autos, so that logic doesn't hold.

+1 for being both true and hilarious....
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 01:05:57 PM »
I wasn't trying to make a joke, and definitely wasn't trying to insult anyone, so I hope nobody takes it that way, but I wanted to respond and was on my tablet without a proper keyboard.

I love revolvers. For a long time I carried a S&W 442 as both a primary and backup concealed weapon. I love my Glock 19 however, and I am a much better shot with it. I considered converting my revolver to 9mm to have matching ammo for my backup.

I tried a friends Sig 290 at the range, and it had all the things I loved about my 442, but with much better sights, and a trigger that was pretty much on par with the S&W. It has the right size and everything to be carried just like the 442.

As far as reliability, I know that revolvers are somewhat less likely to jam, but its a big problem when they do. Double action revolvers are much more complex than semi-autos. I am a fan of both, but the semi-auto is better for many people because of the sights, slim profile, and quick reloading. Of these the sights are a big plus that many people neglect in their comparison

Offline Mountain State Prepper

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Proudly owned by a yellow lab!
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 05:37:36 PM »

I want to throw in here that I will have a similar decision when I'm done w/ my CCW class.   I too have the CZ 75, and I LOVE IT!   But it won't be my carry gun.  I'm looking at a smaller framed 9mm.  And really my choice comes down to one main point....keeping my ammo similar.   I like the idea of keeping my  future handguns in one round.

My buddy carries the Ruger LC9.  He likes it a lot and and I'm looking at it closely.  But I'm not completely sold yet, still shopping.

PS-- I also will throw in on the revolver vs. auto.    My .357 revolver is big, loud, nasty gun.  I also LOVE IT!  :)   It's by far my home "go to" choice if I'm answering the door after dark.

--Montani Semper Liberi

Offline CarlD

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 09:07:43 PM »
I really like the Kahr CM 9mm which I believe is the smallest 9mm.  The trigger is very smooth.  The pistol shoots very nice. It is easy to conceal.  I am concerned 380 would be underpowered for defense.

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 09:56:27 PM »
I really like the Kahr CM 9mm which I believe is the smallest 9mm.  The trigger is very smooth.  The pistol shoots very nice. It is easy to conceal.  I am concerned 380 would be underpowered for defense.

Compare the Sig290, similar size quality gear.

Offline Rickard

• Prepper
  • www.DeliberateDefense.com
    • Deliberate Defense Firearms Instruction
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 01:15:35 AM »
BLUF: The chances of a revolver jamming are almost nil.  I don't have the math in front of me, but the chances of a semi-auto jamming compared to a revolver are at least 10-1. 

Inspect the ammo you intend to use in your CCW eliminates a lot of issues.  Weigh, roll, touch and ring guage your CCW ammo because your life does depend on it.

I find anywhere from 10-14 rounds, out of a 25 round box, that I set aside for target practice when I inspect my ammunition.  A couple brands are less, more like only 2-3 I set aside.

Joe

I teach a lot of new shooters and I am going to give a strong nod to a modern semi auto. They are as reliable if not more reliable than a revolver and much easier to shoot well. We run several hundred people a year through our classes and less than a dozen end up choosing a revolver for a self defense gun.

Revolvers were quickly displaced in most police agencies once a good semi-auto was available. I can not think of any agency that is still using revolvers, so why would you think that they are still the best choice for a defensive handgun?

I compete in defensive pistol matches in addition to being an instructor and revolvers not only fail more often, when they fail it is rare that they can be put back into service without a major amount of work being done to them. When semi-autos have a failure usually a tap-rack procedure will get them back in service.

rjd
I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves. - Harriet Tubman

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

Offline CR Williams

• Survivalist Mentor
    • In Shadow In Light
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 08:32:19 AM »
Cops didn't carry revolvers for so many years for no reason.

And the main reason was, that's what was front-line and overwhelmingly available at the time, if not issued and required by the department in question, and easier to get on an officer's salary when they had to purchase their own weapons. Now there are better choices available that can be afforded even if the department does not issue them.

Then we have the military, which went to semi-auto sidearms in quantity long before police departments woke up about it.

Revolvers were cutting-edge and advanced technology and the most effective weapon of their day. That day is long past, however.
My cats support the 2nd Amendment.

In Shadow In Light - dedicated to the study and advancement of the art and the science of the fight.

www.inshadowinlight.com

Offline Joe in TN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 09:45:53 AM »
Let me be clear on something.  For a CCW I carry my LCR.  If I was "on duty" of some sort, expecting trouble or back when I was active duty...I will/was carrying a full size semi-auto in the appropriate holster for the situation.

Duty weapon and CCW are two different things to me.  My opinion only, a revolver is the best pistol available for a CCW when your life is on the line.  Semper Fi,

Joe

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 07:35:21 AM »
Josh,

If your sister is going to be shooting the gun and you want something small I would go with the .380. I got my wife a Bersa .380 and it was cheap but she loves it. I think I paid $275 brand new if my memory is correct. Now if size is not an issue and if she is going to be shooting it then I would go with a full size 9mm. My Beretta P92 is easy for my wife to shoot plus 9mm ammo is cheaper than .380 ammo.
"Crocodiles: They eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
Archer

Quote from: Bonnieblue2A on 4/8/2014 at 02:50:14 AM
"I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned children having access to high capacity, mechanical pencils with no. 2 lead."

Offline TraceA

• Survivor
    • TraceMyPreps
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 11:03:55 AM »
As always an opinionated and interesting topic of discussion. Very timely for me because I am in the process of deciding what 9mm to get for my own EDC CCW. So thanks for the insights and good suggestions of small, quality 9mm semi-auto pistols. After reading this thread I'm debating between the (in order of current preference):

- Sig 290
- Kahr CM9
- Ruger LC9

I'm going to follow up with each of these and make the decision based on what "fits" my carry style and hand best. Any others I should add to this list?

For a full-size pistol I like Glocks, but I think even their sub-compacts are too big for convenient, EDC CCW. Sure you can carry a bigger gun, but I'd prefer to have a pistol that fits the way I dress and not have to instead dress to fit my larger pistol.
...no dangers at hand that I can see.' 'True,' replied the boar, 'but the instant my life is in danger, I shall need to use my tusks. There will be no time to sharpen them then.'  -Aesop

Check out my blog: TraceMyPreps

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 11:14:27 AM »
As always an opinionated and interesting topic of discussion. Very timely for me because I am in the process of deciding what 9mm to get for my own EDC CCW. So thanks for the insights and good suggestions of small, quality 9mm semi-auto pistols. After reading this thread I'm debating between the (in order of current preference):

- Sig 290
- Kahr CM9
- Ruger LC9

I'm going to follow up with each of these and make the decision based on what "fits" my carry style and hand best. Any others I should add to this list?

For a full-size pistol I like Glocks, but I think even their sub-compacts are too big for convenient, EDC CCW. Sure you can carry a bigger gun, but I'd prefer to have a pistol that fits the way I dress and not have to instead dress to fit my larger pistol.

As stated above, I'm a big SIG fan, but I really, really like my Shield 9mm for EDC.
“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline EagleSteel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Support Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »

- Sig 290
- Kahr CM9
- Ruger LC9

I would go with the Sig and avoid the Ruger. I'm just not a fan of Rugers thou.
"Crocodiles: They eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
Archer

Quote from: Bonnieblue2A on 4/8/2014 at 02:50:14 AM
"I'm sure the founding fathers never envisioned children having access to high capacity, mechanical pencils with no. 2 lead."

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
... After reading this thread I'm debating between the (in order of current preference):

- Sig 290
- Kahr CM9
- Ruger LC9

For a full-size pistol I like Glocks, but I think even their sub-compacts are too big for convenient, EDC CCW. ...

I like Glocks too, and I see my Sig290 as a replacement for my J frame, but in a semi-auto package, with better sights and not as thick, but heavier.

Glocks are my favorite, and I wished glock made a single stack, since they don't the 290 is the closest I can get, almost a cross between my 442 and a glock

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
I've fired many 10's of thousands of rounds through various revolvers and I've only had one "jam" - the gun was no longer working.  Of couse the round went off and hit the target first...  So in my experience revolvers are very reliable lol.

Offline CarlD

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
Try a Kahr PM 45.  Very small but give you the 45

Offline nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 02:36:56 PM »

- Sig 290
- Kahr CM9
- Ruger LC9

If you haven't made your purchase yet, check these out too.  I am a Glock lover and they represent a mini version of the Glock better than others.  I own one of each and love them.  The DB380 shoots remarkably well in the fact that it seems to flip less than others.  The only issue I've had is that I must shoot high velocity rounds through it (which I would for protection anyway).  All three mentioned have a very usable sight.

Diamond Back DB380 & DB9
Beretta Nano (9mm)

The Nano is my EDC, carried on a WRB velcro/elastic holster similar to their waist band holster but is made to go around the chest, reinforced with a shoulder strap.  I don't even know it's there with the Nano's low weight and small dimensions.  The DB380 is what I use when I want an even smaller pocket or ankle piece.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 02:52:21 PM by nelson96 »
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
Check out the K9 by Kahr as well.  For me it was the right balance.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »
I carry 1 or more of 3 handguns as ccw guns, a glock 22, a glock 27 (both are 40S&W) and a bond arms derringer in 410/ 45 colt, just depending on where i am going, the weather, and what i am doing.

Choosing between 9mm and 380, i would pick 9mm, because it has a little more power, the ammo tends to be cheaper, at least in my area. If you are looking for something small, keltec makes some 9mms that are the same size, or smaller than most 380's, and the size of the gun is the 380's, only selling point imo.