Author Topic: Book on Dehydrating??  (Read 962 times)

Offline nelson96

• Survival Demonstrator
Book on Dehydrating??
« on: November 23, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
Can anyone recommend a book for dehydrating?

I just purchased my first dehydrator and the manual that comes with it has next to no instruction on actually dehydrating food. . .  I would like something that is both instructional and includes recipe's.

As a side question:
The dehydrator I purchased is the 160L Cabela's Commercial Grade Dehydrator.  If anyone has one, or knows someone that does, can you offer any hints you've learned to make using and cleaning go better?

Thank you
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
    • mousetrap
Re: Book on Dehydrating??
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 12:38:02 AM »
I'd start be reading the official info before buying books. 

If you're planning on drying a lot of sticky stuff, cabela's makes a special sheet for that.    For a zero cost experiment, you can rinse sliced fruits with water then pat dry before dehydrating.  IME sometimes this will remove some surface sugar to minimize sticking.   Dipping in an acidified water bath (to prevent discoloratoin) has the side effect of helping rinsed sugars although the water gets stickier as you go along. 

{edited to fix link}
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:45:40 AM by fratermus »
Eagle scout --> soldier --> alpha geek
My geekery:  Coleman stove/lanterns, *nix, GPS, homebrewing, backyard chickens
KF5RCA

Offline nelson96

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:01:44 AM »
Thank you, that was very helpful.  I'm finding a lot about dehydrating on TSP but it's kind of all mashed together in one thread and many aren't explaining the full steps used (for a noob like me). 
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline nelson96

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:09:58 AM »
Based on the big dog that I bought Cabela's 160L Commercial Food Dehydrator . . .  It blows air from the bottom up through the center of the racks.  If I'm doing a small batch, should I place the racks on the bottom or the top?  Or should I spread them out so that there are racks of food being dried from top to bottom with a lot of space in between each? 

When using all the racks it has 24.  I'm predicting that until I learn what I'm doing I probably won't use more than 4 or 5.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:01:12 PM »
One of my favorites is a little yellow book called "Dry It, You'll Like It" by Gen MacManiman. 
Here it is in PDF, although I chose to buy it hard copy and support the author. :)
http://www.modernsurvivalonline.com/Files/food%20storage/article7-10/Dry%20it%20you%27ll%20like%20it.pdf

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:25:36 PM »
I don't have a book, but have you gone to www.dehydrate2store.com yet?  it is better than a book - there are videos :)
videos that cover from fresh produce to how to use/store your dried food.  She also has a virtual newsletter that sends out wonderful tips monthly.

I have read your hashbrown question, btw, and am planning to make some for brunch tomorrow.  I will even take pictures for you.  (Getting them uploaded will be a different story, however!)
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:13:01 PM »
One of my favorites is a little yellow book called "Dry It, You'll Like It" by Gen MacManiman. 
Here it is in PDF, although I chose to buy it hard copy and support the author. :)
http://www.modernsurvivalonline.com/Files/food%20storage/article7-10/Dry%20it%20you%27ll%20like%20it.pdf

Thank you that looks like a good start.

I did notice that most of her instruction on drying fruits and vegetables did not include dipping them in to anything or adding anyhting to help retain their natural color, does that mean that none is needed or that she doesn't care?
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline nelson96

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:17:50 PM »
I don't have a book, but have you gone to www.dehydrate2store.com yet?  it is better than a book - there are videos :)
videos that cover from fresh produce to how to use/store your dried food.  She also has a virtual newsletter that sends out wonderful tips monthly.

I have read your hashbrown question, btw, and am planning to make some for brunch tomorrow.  I will even take pictures for you.  (Getting them uploaded will be a different story, however!)

I had not stumbled on to that website yet, thank you, it looks very useful.

I look forward to your help on those grated potatoes (hashbrowns), thank you.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 01:00:10 PM »
Thank you that looks like a good start.

I did notice that most of her instruction on drying fruits and vegetables did not include dipping them in to anything or adding anyhting to help retain their natural color, does that mean that none is needed or that she doesn't care?

I never dip/add anything, and I've not had anything turn out-and-out brown.  While the apple slices aren't quite white, they are certainly not brown. Same with potatoes...just a darker ivory. The strawberries just turn a darker shade of red, but again, not brown.  But the reason I dry my own is so that I will have healthy food, vs "pretty" stuff that has been treated with all sorts of chemicals to the point they are actually fake looking.

Offline nelson96

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 01:48:11 PM »
I never dip/add anything, and I've not had anything turn out-and-out brown.  While the apple slices aren't quite white, they are certainly not brown. Same with potatoes...just a darker ivory. The strawberries just turn a darker shade of red, but again, not brown.  But the reason I dry my own is so that I will have healthy food, vs "pretty" stuff that has been treated with all sorts of chemicals to the point they are actually fake looking.

I agree with you on the "natural" aspect, which is why I don't buy many dehydrated items from the store.  Have you tried dipping items in pineapple juice or lemon juice to help?  Does it help much?
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 05:15:57 PM »
I agree with you on the "natural" aspect, which is why I don't buy many dehydrated items from the store.  Have you tried dipping items in pineapple juice or lemon juice to help?  Does it help much?
I dip my bananas is lemon and/or lime juice.  but that is a flavor thing more than an aesthetics thing.  it changes the flavor and makes it really tasty.   :)
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 07:49:43 PM »
I dip my bananas is lemon and/or lime juice.  but that is a flavor thing more than an aesthetics thing.  it changes the flavor and makes it really tasty.   :)

Haven't tried dipping in pineapple or lemon/lime juice, as I like my dehydrated foods to have their own natural flavour, especially if I intend on using them in future recipes.  But I'll have to try that with a batch or two of snacking fruit. ;)