Author Topic: 10/22 muzzle adapter for adding uhh fake silencer  (Read 10011 times)

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
10/22 muzzle adapter for adding uhh fake silencer
« on: November 23, 2012, 07:22:09 PM »
Can I get some opinions from the experts out there about these adapters?

1.   http://www.muzzlecouplingsonline.com/home/muzzle-couplings---ruger-10-22-barrel
2.   http://www.tacticool22.com/shop/ruger-1022-threaded-barrel-end-1228-tpi-p-3.html

Are there any better options?

Thanks

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • RicksDIY
Re: 10/22 muzzle adapter for adding uhh fake silencer
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 07:53:59 PM »
Yeah, if you live in a state that you can legally own a suppressor I highly recommend to get a real suppressor..their great..I've got 2- .22 cans one aluminum and another stainless... Then send your barrel or buy one already threaded from http://www.tornado-technologies.com/ They are the go to company..i've had them do several rifle and pistol barrels. Best price by far. Takes anywhere from 4-6 months on average to get your tax stamp may seem like a long time but sooner or later you get the call and can pick it up. I really prefer hunting squirrels with a .22 suppressor, doesn't scare them all off after one shot.
http://ricksdiy.com http://heezy.com/ http://woodybeds.com

I'd rather have it and not need it, than not have it when I do need it.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
Without knowing what you want it for, or why, it's difficult to answer your question.  In almost every case that I can think of, you'd be better off having a gunsmith professionally thread your barrel.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
Sorry I didn't put more info. I have a new ruger 10/22 take down and I want to keep her stock. I would rather have a solution that can come off when needed. 

As for the reason why nobody else but me myself a.d I  need to know.

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 03:40:55 AM »
I see.  Well, let's say that at some point you will want to put on.....uhhh...a real suppressor.  Alignment of the "can" is critical.  With a .22lr you won't have as much of a serious consequence with a baffle strike as you would a high powered rifle....usually.  All it takes is the ONE time that the baffle strike is serious, and you'll be lucky if only your "can" is destroyed.  Compounding the issue is the use of one of these "couplers".  Let's say that Ruger did a perfect job on their machining practices (which they don't; that's why everyone uses tolerances), and that the threading on a professionally threaded barrel is also perfect.  Most real suppressors still maintain an average of .030"-.040" over the bore diameter of the weapon.  That usually depends on near perfect threads.

With the couplers you have significantly increased the chance of injury/damage.  Here's why.  First, is the outside diameter of the barrel perfectly concentric to the bore of the rifle?  Not usually.  There's a tolerance that is allowed by the factory.  Second, is the inside diameter of the coupler perfectly concentric to the threading on the coupler?  Not usually (tolerances).  Third, is the threading on the coupler perfectly concentric to the threading on the can?  Same answer.  Finally, is the inside diameter of the coupler a perfectly tight fit to the outside diameter of the rifle?  Almost always no.  That's why example #1 that you listed has a slip ring nut to tighten it down.  Now this is all important, and still doesn't take into account machining imperfections (burrs, bumps, gouges, etc.).  If there are any other issues, like angles of muzzle crown or a loose fit overall, these can spell real disaster for you.

Let's say that all issues aside except for one thread angle being off and one concentricity being off, everything else is acceptable.  If your threading is off by 1 degree in angle and your can is 4 inches long, your suppressor bore would be .0698" (pi rounded at 3.14159 x diameter of 8 / 360 = .0698"  mathematicians tell me if I screwed this up, I'm tired).  Now if the tolerance was an industry standard of +/- .001", you could conceivably have a nice roundish number of .0708" off center of the barrel bore at the suppressor bore.  Even though the suppressor allows for .030"-.040" over the diameter, that only gives you .015"-.020" of wiggle room.  Now we're well within the range of consistent baffle strikes.

Example #1 that you listed states-

Serious injury or death may occur if the bullet path is not clear.  If unsure, please consult a gunsmith before attaching this accessory to your weapon.  A simple alignment check is to remove the barrel from the gun, attach the coupling and suppressor, and look down the bore from the chamber end to ensure that the baffle edges cannot be seen.

This is probably their legal way of saying that they know their product is not one size fits all.  You will most likely need a gunsmith to install it correctly.  At the price for their product and a gunsmith installation, you could have your barrel threaded.  Also, their "simple alignment check" is inaccurate at best.  If you move your head around while looking down the bore the angles will all change.  And if you can look down the bore at any angle and "ensure that the baffle edges cannot be seen", you probably have a suppressor that is going to be inefficient.  The goal is to get the suppressor baffles and blast baffle to be as close to the diameter of the bullet as possible without any baffle strikes.  The further the baffles are from the bullet diameter (generally speaking), the less efficient the suppressor is at suppressing noise.

I hope this has helped you.  It's not my intention to shoot down your idea (pun intended), but I'd rather see you safely shooting into the distant future and not ruin your investment.  I know this is just for a....uhhh...fake suppressor, and it might work well for one of those.  Just be safe with your decision.
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."

Offline arikinthecity

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 03:57:51 AM »
Thanks nate. I'll move on to other preps. If I ever need a silencer to hunt for rabbit  ill use the soda bottle method. There are some diy videos on the tube that show how to make em out of simple things from home depot. My gut was telling me that something was really wrong when they use a pencil to check the path o f the round. 

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 05:09:56 AM »
I try not to talk negatively about different products that are available, but when it presents a safety concern I will say something.  Their products may in fact work flawlessly.  I've never used them.  If, however, there is a potential for catastrophic failure I'm going to seriously shy away from using that type of product.

There are plenty of proven products and services out there that are much safer options for comparable or slightly more money.  Less money if you went with the soda bottle!

;D
Nate
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

Offline Rock Deer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rock Deer
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »
Better to be thought a fool than open ones mouth and remove all doubt.

Type 7 FFL manufacturer of long distance rifles.

Offline CharlieFoxtrot

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »
I had the first device you listed.  I was difficult to get on and I had a hard time getting it to fit and tighten securely.  I was never too fond of it and I went with a threaded barrel in the end.
All of Jack's wisdom distilled into one do not miss podcast:  Episode 823.

Offline Thom

• Survivor
  • WARNING: Not suitable for public consumption
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 04:42:50 PM »
Oil filter suppressor. Just a thought

I saw this one the other day on YouTube and wondered whether or not this would work.  It makes sense because of the baffling, but it is quite a bit bulkier than a regular suppressor (not that one would attempt to hide their suppressors).
I'm tired of having to filter the crazy out of the news.