Photobucket

Author Topic: my Modular BugOut Kit  (Read 2646 times)

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
my Modular BugOut Kit
« on: November 24, 2012, 04:48:05 PM »
a BugOut bag is always a work in progress.

So far I was tangled in a mess of dublicate and multiple things in a Survival kit, a Maxpdition Versipack I use for day hikes and my BOB.

So few weeks ago I set to make a system of kits that adds one to the other.
So you add to your EDC gear the extended survival kit and you are GTG for a day. Then you add your BOB etc etc.
No items are dublicate (other than some consumables) and this way is easy to inventory the kits.

Here is a pdf file of it (virus free download)

two notes:
1. In the document you will see that there are 2 grey-shaded columns, one for the extended survival kit (carried in a funny pack for now) and the 24h hike kit. For now I just move the items from one to the other. Till I find a better solution that is.
2. the supplemental pack has all the niceties and good-to-have items. That is if you can carry them, like in a car. If not, and you have to haul it on foot power, one can always ditch the whole thing or parts of it. It does not mean I will be carrying 2 packs.

It would be good to get your remarks & critisism. GreekMan
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 05:04:32 PM by GreekMan »
The Greek Preparedness Blogspot
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: my Modular BugOut Kit
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 05:52:09 PM »
Good idea.  I like the idea of kits adding on to each other.

One thing that I'd suggest is maybe swap out the Nalgene bottle for a stainless steel water bottle, you would be able to boil your drinking water in that bottle.
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 06:59:44 PM »
I completely agree, modular is the way to go.  My car kit is a stand-alone, but also has components that can be easily broken off; one for unplanned day hikes, one for first aid, while the rest of the kit is more clothing, food and cooking oriented.  I have a winter supplement that includes an old sleeping bag, parka, winter gloves, and wool socks.  During the summer I generally try to keep more water in the car (which I struggle to prevent freezing during cold spells in the winter).

I, too, am reworking my concept of a BOB.  I'd like to be able to integrate my trail running pack (my very most minimal kit) into it, but still need the most likely needed components like clothes for work (assuming I'm going to be working while living in a hotel room during a wildland fire evacuation as my most likely scenario).  I have plenty of camping kit, but in a wildland fire situation, I'd rather make an insurance claim on it after the fact and focus on getting out more important items like pets, laptop computers, and valuables like guns, jewelry and camera equipment.  Because of the divergent scenarios I might face, I think it makes a modular system that much more important.  If it turns out I'm wrong about the most likely scenarios and it is a end of rule of law situation, I won't give a damn about laptops, but guns and food will take top billing.  Being able to change focus in a hurry is always going to present a challenge, but putting thought into in now might spare a lot of pain down the road.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 02:04:14 AM »
I understand what you mean.

Where I store my BOB I also keep a huge travel bag and a postal sack. My clothes and shoes are all in a very specific place and these will go into the bag.
Miscelenous item that may be picked on the bugging out process will find their place in the postal sack.
My main first aid kit is in a bag close to my tupperware box of stored medical supplies. All family items are kept in there (BP cuff, etc)
Unfortunately I have yet to pre-place a plastic box close to my stored food to pack some in a hurry.
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline flippydidit

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Keep 'em shooting!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 04:28:46 AM »
We've been working through different designs for this as well.  It has proven useful for us to carry this "modularity" into the field of caches as well.  Our primary concern was quick resupply for the consumables, as well as pre-positioned stocks of everything (e.g. you must leave with the clothes on your back).

Consequently our BOB's are fairly closely styled to yours, GreekMan.  To supplement them and take the "modular" concept further, should we need resupply it is located at one of our cache points.  There are also independent "islands" that are complete 30 day stand-alone caches with food, water, shelter, clothing, firearms, ammunition, medical supplies, and more for a family of 6.

Endurance,

When I lived in the Denver area for college we had 3 blizzards come in one winter (2006).  Part of our emergency kit was bottled water.  Our low tech strategy for keeping them from becoming ice blocks was not geared toward prevention.  It would have been virtually impossible for us to fight that constant battle.  Bringing them in the house every night without forgetting vs. the one time you actually did get stuck somewhere seemed pretty likely that we'd still end up with ice blocks, or no water.

So we took a large cooler, lined it with foam mattress material.  Inside that we lined it with solar blanket.  Then we had enough room to put 8 bottles of water (each 75-85% full) and 2-4 chemical hand or foot warmers.  This is in addition to having solar blankets, duct tape, a small camp stove, and full size blankets.  Our intention was that in an emergency that required us to have drinking water (instead of ice), we'd activate the handwarmers, throw them in the cooler, close the lid and wait 10-20 minutes.

While we were waiting for the water to thaw, we'd build a small tent inside our vehicle with the solar blankets and tape, use the campstove (well ventilated) to warm up the enclosure, and wrap up inside the blankets.  We never had to use the enclosure idea, but the water bottles rarely froze in the cooler, and if they did the warmers would have melted some of the water for drinking.

I like the direction you are all thinking, and look forward to seeing your progression in this preparedness.
Nate
Military/civilian gunsmith/machinist
CEO and Founder of PermEscapes
PermEscapes
PermEscapes on Facebook

"One of these centuries, the brutes, private or public, who believe that they can rule their betters by force, will learn the lesson of what happens when brute force encounters mind and force."
— Ragnar Danneskjöld, from Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand)

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
@flippy:  I like the idea.  Not sure if I'll implement it, but it's nice to have another option in my bag of tricks.  Right now I have a garage that will keep the car over 32F at night and so with the exception of that week or two of sub-zero weather that the water freezes while parked at work during the day, I ignore the problem.  I guess if there was a situation where I couldn't drive home, I'd probably opt to wait it out until the weather warmed up enough to make a safe walk home.  I have two options for that, including a friend's house 3.2 miles from work and a hotel on the same block as my work.

@Greek: Yep, having extra capacity in your kits makes a lot of sense.  My wife's standing orders for a wildfire evacuation are to secure the pets and laptops first, then the documents package, then an armload of work clothes into a duffle bag.  Only if she has time will she go for the other valuables.  It's insured and our most likely disaster, wildfire, is one in which insurance companies will still be around.  I'm just learning from those in Colorado who were impacted by the fires earlier this year that having a very complete personal inventory of everything is imperative to getting all that you are entitled to as a policy holder.  I'm ahead of the curve in some departments, but still dread the idea of inventorying every item of clothing, the silverware drawers, and 25 years of accumulated camping and prepping gear.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:24:49 PM »
AWESOME thread!

Would any of you mind posting photos so I can get an idea of how you're doing this? I've been reading a lot about this kind of system and I can't picture it in my head. I think seeing it would get me on the right track and I'm sure other folks here would like to see them as well.

Thanks,

Chris
Members Brigade Supporter

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 02:31:09 PM »
love the idea, photos would be great too. I think I have the idea. Also want to see where this goes.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 02:57:15 PM »
This is a very old set of pics of my summer car kit:

Inner Sanctum (see other pic)
cap
fleece jacket
goretex shell
emergency battery charger
water
space blanket
3 mre's with heaters
gatorade powder
pepper mace
flashlight w/ spare batteries
5 hour energy drink
100' of 1/4" rope
gloves
water bottle
polypro long johns
polypro shirt
light sticks (4)
flashlight
hand & toe warmers
balaclava
TP
rain/wind pants
goretex socks
Kershaw survival knife w/ compass, fishing kit, matches inside
bandana

Inner sanctum

Detatchable for unplanned hiking trips, etc.
hurricane matches
waterproof matches
electrical tape
headlamp (incandescent w/ spare batteries)
led visor light w/ spare batteries
compass/whistle/thermometer
shower cap
30' 550 cord
20' 14ga. insulated wire
leatherman
magnesium firestarter
can opener
swiss army knife
iodine tablets
space bag
playing cards
survival cards
poncho
pen
candles (4 buddy burners, 4 tea lights)
5 minute epoxy
wire saw

I've tweaked the kit quite a bit since then and it doesn't include my first aid kit (a large fanny pack).  I'll try to update sometime this week, but it might be later in the week. 

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
Thanks Endurance. For me personally, I'm more interested in seeing what your bags or packs look like. I'm not familiar with modular systems and would like to see photos of the bags themselves.

Thanks again for being willing to post.

-Chris

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in zone 5a.
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 04:38:50 PM »
I'm more interested in seeing what your bags or packs look like.

will try to get photos soon.

for me it is just keeping simular items in a smaller bag in my BOB (either ziplock or mesh laundry bag)

like:
-Med stuff/FAK  in a ziplock
-winter/summer cloths in separate bags (so they can be swapped out)
-food in a separate pocket (so i can change the items out every 6months)
-electronics/flashlights/batteries in a separate pocket (so batteries can be changed)
-keeping extra water bottles in the car (can add more to the BOB or hand out to people if need be)

"Don't be afraid, just be informed"
"If you live your life around what your neighbors think, you'll do nothing except mow your lawn." -Steven Harris Ep726

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
Thanks Hootie, I do appreciate it.

-Chris

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 02:56:23 AM »
your request is tempting. this weekend I will ahve the house all in my own so i might break my bag out and take pics.
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 05:37:45 AM »
Lots of BOB pics in the Post pictures of your BOB thread
F_M
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 06:14:32 AM »
Thanks Fritz forgot that it was out there. I definitely learned a lot about my bag. Looks like I will be going through mine again this weekend. Saw some things I didn't think about yet.
www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 08:42:08 AM »
This is a very old set of pics of my summer car kit:

Inner Sanctum (see other pic)
cap
fleece jacket
goretex shell
emergency battery charger
<...>
100' of 1/4" rope
<...>
5 minute epoxy
wire saw

I've tweaked the kit quite a bit since then and it doesn't include my first aid kit (a large fanny pack).  I'll try to update sometime this week, but it might be later in the week.
Looks like a nice rounding arrangement..  But I have to warn you on those Black and Decker units (just lost the name of it and I had 5 of them).. There are 3 6v batteries in them.. and though mine were new when I got them,.. they have all failed.  They were great,.. I charged my cell off of one,.. ran my Yaesu FT-817nd radio off of one,..  but only got it to jump my battery once.

For use with a cell phone or tablet PC,.. it's to bulky - and for the car truck - sometimes not big enough.

An idea on the rope is to re-wrap into a quick deploy donut or pull bundle.  Still a compact package,.. but something you can pull out quickly.  Just a thought -

Um..Epoxy - curious..  what would you plan to do with that.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
Looks like a nice rounding arrangement..  But I have to warn you on those Black and Decker units (just lost the name of it and I had 5 of them).. There are 3 6v batteries in them.. and though mine were new when I got them,.. they have all failed.  They were great,.. I charged my cell off of one,.. ran my Yaesu FT-817nd radio off of one,..  but only got it to jump my battery once.

For use with a cell phone or tablet PC,.. it's to bulky - and for the car truck - sometimes not big enough.

An idea on the rope is to re-wrap into a quick deploy donut or pull bundle.  Still a compact package,.. but something you can pull out quickly.  Just a thought -

Um..Epoxy - curious..  what would you plan to do with that.
Since that time I've upgraded two out of three vehicles to the larger jump boxes (one from Northern Tool, the other from Costco), since like you, I've had that B&D unit fail to provide enough juice on two occasions (although, to be honest, I don't know if it might not have been a lack of maintenance on my part).

As for epoxy, ever since it saved a cross country ski trip in 2000 by allowing me to reattach a binding to a ski after the screws stripped out, I just can't live without it around for a security blanket.  I'll try to update to my current kits sometime this week and show how I compartmentalize my kits.   Lately things have gotten a more lightweight approach as my backpacking bleeds over.

As for the rope, do you have an example or link you could share.  I've used throw bags with the fire department, but otherwise don't have any other ideas for quick deployment.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 11:21:49 AM »
Since that time I've upgraded two out of three vehicles to the larger jump boxes (one from Northern Tool, the other from Costco), since like you, I've had that B&D unit fail to provide enough juice on two occasions (although, to be honest, I don't know if it might not have been a lack of maintenance on my part).

As for epoxy, ever since it saved a cross country ski trip in 2000 by allowing me to reattach a binding to a ski after the screws stripped out, I just can't live without it around for a security blanket.  I'll try to update to my current kits sometime this week and show how I compartmentalize my kits.   Lately things have gotten a more lightweight approach as my backpacking bleeds over.

As for the rope, do you have an example or link you could share.  I've used throw bags with the fire department, but otherwise don't have any other ideas for quick deployment.

Dern Search.. LOL...

One option is the Paracord Donut which allows you to pull off just what you need for the task and snip you don't have to unravel the whole lot.

the other is when you need the whole thing similar to the toss bag - or as shown on the link, a 'lanyard' - yank on it, and you have 10-50' of cord.

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 11:39:30 AM »
Just happened to find a Double Cobra weave quick deploy bracelet..  interesting.

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2012, 11:22:46 AM »
Lots of BOB pics in the Post pictures of your BOB thread.

I've definitely reviewed that thread a dozen times or more. But I haven't seen the modular setup, based on what my interpretation of it could be. That's why I requested the photos here so I can finally confirm whether or not my interpretation is right or wrong.

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »
I've definitely reviewed that thread a dozen times or more. But I haven't seen the modular setup, based on what my interpretation of it could be. That's why I requested the photos here so I can finally confirm whether or not my interpretation is right or wrong.

oh man! I guess i will ahve to find time for taking the pics

On a side line, i wish there was a backpackthat woudl support a modular system. Like hamingmost of the face side flat and free for a small messenger bag (housing the day kit) to attach. this way you can have the important items with or without the main BOb

( I am not currenly in the market for such a pack for various reasons. So I am not asking nor expecting suggestions. Thank you for considering it though)

Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
I greatly appreciate you going through the hassle GreekMan.

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »
photos were taken and half of them were edited.
it turns out that it was not that of a hassle. I will be psoting them to a greek forum as well and I have found soem minor things to correct..

til to go to sleep...'morrow....
Content in English
Facebook Page

Offline GreekMan

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2012, 01:17:10 PM »
Content in English
Facebook Page