Photobucket

Author Topic: If you can get to Waco, TX you have to stop by this place!!  (Read 940 times)

Offline NR5P

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
If you can get to Waco, TX you have to stop by this place!!
« on: November 25, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
homesteadheritage.com  Check this place out!  The fair was last weekend and they will have it again next year.  However you can go 6 days a week and go to their store and I think some things are open.  It is a christian community that live on 500 acres.  They dress and work like the Amish but don't shun technology.  They are extremely nice and it seems they have a goal to teach others a better way of life.  You can go during the fair and learn many skills for free, it lasts 3 days.  They have soap making, horse training, timber frame barn raising, etc to much to list.  During the week you can pay to learn to build and keep your own project(rocking chairs, dresser drawers, guitar, again etc. there is a list on the (MORE SITES) TAB on the top of the website and there is the ploughshare institute and school of woodworking etc.  Also in their store they have high quality things to purchase like scythes, excellent quality grain mills, HERB SEEDS THEY HAVE BEEN GROWING FOR YEARS IF YOU LIVE AROUND THE AREA THIS WOULD BE GREAT! For some reason they don't sell their heirloom vegetable seeds that they save but they sell high mowing seeds.  One of the ladies told me her husband was thinking of starting to sell some of THEIR heirlooms.  They have a cool water catch system with gutters that fills an above ground cistern--->then it is pumped with a wind mill to a water tower--->then is used to for their water.  I'm sorry I'm rambling on but it was one of the best experiences and even spiritual experiences going to this place.  It's like a slice of heaven.  Put the next fair on your calendar and spend 3 days-fri-sun here to get the full experience.  BTW they don't try to push their religion.  They only share their incredible skills

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: If you can get to Waco, TX you have to stop by this place!!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 04:14:51 PM »
Great find!  That's only an hour north from my location.  I'm gonna go visit there soon.  Thanks for the info!

Offline NR5P

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 11:16:01 PM »
You must be close to me.  I'm in Holland only about 15 miles from Temple

EOTS

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 06:22:49 AM »
We have made several trips there, and DH took a woodworking class. It was interesting to "watch" his attitude. At first, he was very excited, then annoyed when he found out how long the day/class was. But in the end, the class was (supposed to be) long over, and he was still in there working away on his project. Definitely a paradigm shifter.

Personally, for me, every trip involves a bowl of the sweet potato/jalapeno soup in the cafe.

One thing I highly recommend: some days, there is a hay ride farther into the property. We've done it twice, and I'll do it again as many times as possible. The ride and views are nice, but what's priceless (to me) is the sharing from the folks who drive the horses and narrate the tour. On our two rides, we had two different gentlemen who shared very different things about the community and their activities.

I also always get a kick out of the garden -- it's really a sort of demonstration/experimental garden (I can't recall what they call it). Behind the big red barn where they give classes. Anyway, every time we go, it has different things planted in different stages. Living in the same growing zone, I've found it very informative on every visit.

Offline BiggBake

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 07:34:29 AM »
Hey NR5P, I'm in Killeeen.

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 06:53:56 PM »
Great reviews guys thanks! We've been trying to get out there but work argh. You guys reminded me of this so now it will be on the calender this month!
BJ

Offline NR5P

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »
I noticed they also have those hay ride trips during the year starting in March. 

Offline Mitch214

• Prepper
  • I am the greatest
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 03:07:17 AM »
Just south of me will go. Thanks for the info. 

Offline hutchsteaders

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:05 AM »
I took the joinery class. I had a really great experience there. Would definitely go back if I were still in the area.